which card can do 1280x800?

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

I'm looking for a fairly cheap card to hold me over til I upgrade my
entire rig. My #1 criteria is the card must be able to do 1280x800 with
the latest nvidia driver. I have a gf3 ti200 that will do 1280x800x32
with old dell-supplied driver, but with the newer driver I have to define
custom rez and then I get dithered colors (I think it's only running in
16 bit).

I'm looking at the Fx5200, which can be had for as low as $50 acc. to
pricewatch. But I don't know if this card will do 1280x800 natively.
MSI's page for ex doesn't list it as a supported mode.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=FX5200_TD128

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:50:39 +0000, darius wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a fairly cheap card to hold me over til I upgrade my
> entire rig. My #1 criteria is the card must be able to do 1280x800 with
> the latest nvidia driver. I have a gf3 ti200 that will do 1280x800x32
> with old dell-supplied driver, but with the newer driver I have to define
> custom rez and then I get dithered colors (I think it's only running in
> 16 bit).
>
> I'm looking at the Fx5200, which can be had for as low as $50 acc. to
> pricewatch. But I don't know if this card will do 1280x800 natively.
> MSI's page for ex doesn't list it as a supported mode.
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=FX5200_TD128

i would lay odds the 5200 would be slower than your current card, unless
you have a real reason to use the latest driver why not just us an older
one.

if that fails i would wait till 6200s start shipping, the video
coprocessor would actually be a benifit

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ewan <epaton@null.org> wrote in

> i would lay odds the 5200 would be slower than your current card,
> unless you have a real reason to use the latest driver why not just
> us an older one.

B/c using the latest driver, I get playable perf with doom3 and hl2 (yeah
it's 640x480 low detail, but playable). But desktop use suffers with new
driver (no 32 bit=no web work).

> if that fails i would wait till 6200s start shipping, the video
> coprocessor would actually be a benifit

Strangely enough, with my gf3 ti200 and dell driver, I get 1280x800,
1600x1000 (native) and even 1920x1200 (if I tweak the inf file). Seems
like the newer cards are a step backward as far as widescreen resolution
goes.

On 10/2/05 11:50 AM, darius wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a fairly cheap card to hold me over til I upgrade my
> entire rig. My #1 criteria is the card must be able to do 1280x800 with
> the latest nvidia driver. I have a gf3 ti200 that will do 1280x800x32
> with old dell-supplied driver, but with the newer driver I have to define
> custom rez and then I get dithered colors (I think it's only running in
> 16 bit).
>
> I'm looking at the Fx5200, which can be had for as low as $50 acc. to
> pricewatch. But I don't know if this card will do 1280x800 natively.
> MSI's page for ex doesn't list it as a supported mode.
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=FX5200_TD128

ATI Radeon 9800-class cannot do 1280x800. It does 1280x768.