What is the best motherboard?

Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that even
most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card fast
enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and price isn't
the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I want to start
with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that will support the
6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out of the card? and
then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?

I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and worry
about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so on..

The geforce is known to perform best in an nforce board. In fact, nvidia
announced that they would optimize this way.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message

> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and price
> isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I want to
> start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that will support
> the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out of the card?
> and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>
> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
> on..

I'd get a DFI:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US

Highly overclockable, great for gaming, UV reactive bits for the bling
factor...

I love my LanParty UT nF3 250Gb.

Oh, and for gaming I'd go AMD.

When I bought my setup I decided to go with the last gasp of glory for AGP
socket 754 systems... time-tested technology (hah!)

You have to decide now, though- do you want to go PCI-E?

You might as well if you're building a new system.

You could get your 6800 in PCI-E instead of AGP and someday add another to
run SLI and really scare yourself performance-wise.

DFI makes motherboards in Intel and AMD styles for PCI-E, just look at the
LanParty stuff for top-end, and LanParty UT stuff to save a few bucks
without really losing any performance.

This is all IMHO, of course...

!bungle

Windows XP SP2
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
w/stock BIOS 9/14
AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
nForce 71.80beta
2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID
Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
Saitek PC Gaming KB
Logitech MX510
Envision EFT920
Logitech X-230
NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard- "twice OC'd")

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
>> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and
>> price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I
>> want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out
>> of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>
>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
>> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
>> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
>> on..
>>

> I'd get a DFI:
>
> http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US
>
> Highly overclockable, great for gaming, UV reactive bits for the bling
> factor...

Diamond Flower Internation... gods be praised... I love my old DFI board!

My old P2XBL is sitting in my children's box, running a PIII 1ghz
(underclocked to 750mhz). Never had a single problem with anything I put
into that mainboard.

I was planning on an ASUS when next I upgrade (I really like my P4PE) but
who knows.. might go DFI again. :)

- Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."

"!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
>> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and
>> price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I
>> want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out
>> of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>
>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
>> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
>> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
>> on..
>>

> I'd get a DFI:
>
> http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US

BTW- the DFI has excellent onboard audio and LAN, and 4 SATA connectors as
well as the usual compliment of IDE connectors. Takes care of a lot of
trouble right there- I have no cards other than my video in my PC and I'm
not really lacking anything feature-wise. Read what comes with this board
and see what I mean-
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

"Darius" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message

> "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800
>>> card fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case,
>>> and price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine)
>>> I want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most
>>> out of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>>
>>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on
>>> track and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card
>>> and worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and
>>> so on..
>>>

>> I'd get a DFI:
>>
>> http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US
>>
>> Highly overclockable, great for gaming, UV reactive bits for the bling
>> factor...
>
> Diamond Flower Internation... gods be praised... I love my old DFI board!
>
> My old P2XBL is sitting in my children's box, running a PIII 1ghz
> (underclocked to 750mhz). Never had a single problem with anything I put
> into that mainboard.
>
> I was planning on an ASUS when next I upgrade (I really like my P4PE) but
> who knows.. might go DFI again. :)
>
> - Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

I love my MSI MB and would get another. My KT3 Ultra has been a model of
reliability and the update utility is nice.

Paul

Splendid

Hi,

I have an MSI 875 NEO2 FISR. Very impressed with it. It will
take the whole range of P4s and has 800MHz FSB. SATA, RAID etc.

I would buy MSI again, probably a PCI-E for my next big upgrade.
Also if I had the cash:

Athlon 64 FX-55 processor and
Twin MSI PCI-E Geforce 6800 Ultras.

By the time I save up for this little lot, multi-core processors
would probably be the in thing!

Best regards,
Paul

Kedrid wrote:
> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that even
> most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card fast
> enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and price isn't
> the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I want to start
> with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that will support the
> 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out of the card? and
> then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>
> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and worry
> about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so on..

Thanks for all the info. I will look more into the DFI. I am getting a 6800
and looking at new motherboards too.I want to do this right. I have a P4
2.66 now and am pretty happy with it, BUT I have had trouble adding memory,
and know a good motherboard makes a difference. I haven't even gone into if
I want AGP or PCI express, but AGP is my first instinct. I would like to get
P4 and stay away from AMD just always had lots of luck with Intel's, I see
no reason to change that now. I will look at the suggestions closer and do
web searches on them. If AGP is just going out there is no need to consider
it even, and I don't think PCI-express is just a fade either. I am not sure
yet which way to go I am giving myself a week for research b4 I do buy.
Again thank for all the good into I am open to any new suggestions.

"Paul" <aoxm45@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an MSI 875 NEO2 FISR. Very impressed with it. It will
> take the whole range of P4s and has 800MHz FSB. SATA, RAID etc.
>
> I would buy MSI again, probably a PCI-E for my next big upgrade.
> Also if I had the cash:
>
> Athlon 64 FX-55 processor and
> Twin MSI PCI-E Geforce 6800 Ultras.
>
> By the time I save up for this little lot, multi-core processors
> would probably be the in thing!
>
> Best regards,
> Paul
>
> Kedrid wrote:
>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
>> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and
>> price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I
>> want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out
>> of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>
>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
>> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
>> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
>> on..

Wow, very cool! I kind of like the LAN party 875P-T I know its probably that
step backwards again since it's old AGP technology. But sweet card. and
matched it with a cost effective P4 3.0gig CPU and at a price not to out of
control. I can match that up with a the 6800 extreme and I might have a
descent system starting.

"Darius" <news@mike.ifox.com> wrote in message

> "!bungle" <stratosrally@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800
>>> card fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case,
>>> and price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine)
>>> I want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most
>>> out of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>>
>>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on
>>> track and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card
>>> and worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and
>>> so on..
>>>

>> I'd get a DFI:
>>
>> http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US
>>
>> Highly overclockable, great for gaming, UV reactive bits for the bling
>> factor...
>
> Diamond Flower Internation... gods be praised... I love my old DFI board!
>
> My old P2XBL is sitting in my children's box, running a PIII 1ghz
> (underclocked to 750mhz). Never had a single problem with anything I put
> into that mainboard.
>
> I was planning on an ASUS when next I upgrade (I really like my P4PE) but
> who knows.. might go DFI again. :)
>
> - Michael (Darius)
> "There can be only one."

MSI K8N Diamond, hands down. :)

"Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message

> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
even
> most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card fast
> enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and price
isn't
> the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I want to start
> with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that will support the
> 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out of the card? and
> then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>
> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
worry
> about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so on..

Sorry I saw this too late as you have lots of good info. I hope you take a
look at the nForce 4 SLI whatever flavor, mine is Asus. If you are talking
about the best gaming rig, you should forget Intel all together. They
excell at other things, but the AMD64/64fx are simply faster. As you've
heard, the nf4 board is capable of adding another pci-e gpu. Throw in a
couple of the 74gig WD Raptors, a gig of Corsair low latency ram and you're
flying. Good luck.

"Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message

> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and price
> isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I want to
> start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that will support
> the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out of the card?
> and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>
> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
> on..

I haven't gotten 1 yet, waiting for a check still ( and doing my homework )
however to-date I sort of favor the ECS PF21, and DFI 925X-T2 boards. they
may not be most expensive but seem to be right up there in ratings. I have
heard way to many horror stories about AMD's cracking when you install the
heat sink and fans and I have always had very good luck with Pentiums. I
have however read some very very good things about AMD's and have been
looking at them. My experience building computers is mostly limited to Intel
chip sets. I suppose it makes little difference, and if you don't force
things, and install CPU with care AMD is every bit as good as Intel's and in
some cases what I read even maybe at some tasks a little better. I am still
wondering if I want AGP or PCI-express. I am hearing so many good things
about PCI-express that I kind of want to go that way, but on the other hand,
AGP is nice just because when I upgrade all my old motherboards are AGP so I
can take old cards, and parts and give them to my Nephews, or put in old
systems or anything like that. With PCI-express it will be my first and only
and so only will work in the one board. they are all little things but I
don't want to be sorry latter. I catch myself reading a little about it
every day, and visiting tom's hardware and reading too. I have also been to
countless parts supply sites and pricewatch.com..

Thanks again everyone
Will be buying soon I appreciate the input.

"cpaoli" <cpaoli@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Sorry I saw this too late as you have lots of good info. I hope you take
> a look at the nForce 4 SLI whatever flavor, mine is Asus. If you are
> talking about the best gaming rig, you should forget Intel all together.
> They excell at other things, but the AMD64/64fx are simply faster. As
> you've heard, the nf4 board is capable of adding another pci-e gpu. Throw
> in a couple of the 74gig WD Raptors, a gig of Corsair low latency ram and
> you're flying. Good luck.
>
> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Lets consider that price is NO object (don't I wish) I was reading that
>> even most of the high end systems can't get instructions to the 6800 card
>> fast enough to utilize it's full potential. if this is the case, and
>> price isn't the consideration ( I want the ultimate gamming machine) I
>> want to start with the motherboard. what is the BEST motherboard that
>> will support the 6800's chip set. that I can get to get the very most out
>> of the card? and then what CPU will I need to get that? a P4 3.8?
>>
>> I feel like I started doing this backwards so I want to get back on track
>> and start with a strong Mobo / CPU, and get the best graphics card and
>> worry about my bottle necks being at my HDD / LAN / sound card and so
>> on..

The new AMD 64 CPU's have a heat spreader attached now. Funny thing is the
new Intel chips are much more fragile thn they used to be. And the consensus
seems to be the AMD64 is much better for gaming,the Intel is better for
office and video editing.