GeForce 4 MX and 800x600 resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 11, 2005 12:49:16 AM

Hi,

I got a strange Problem with my mentioned video card. From one day to an
other a video game of mine appers to have a trembling screen. I
installed a the newes driver but nothing chaged. By now I found out,
that I can't even change my resolution under WinXP to 800x600. As soon
as I change the resolution below 1024x768 the screen starts to tremble.

Does anyone know why this takes place and how I can get rid of this?

Thanks in advance

Julian
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:49:17 AM

With that older card you should NOT be using the latest drivers, which are
not stable with it. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that card.

--
DaveW

"Julian Bessenroth" <julian.bessenroth@nospam.gmx.de> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I got a strange Problem with my mentioned video card. From one day to an
> other a video game of mine appers to have a trembling screen. I installed
> a the newes driver but nothing chaged. By now I found out, that I can't
> even change my resolution under WinXP to 800x600. As soon as I change the
> resolution below 1024x768 the screen starts to tremble.
>
> Does anyone know why this takes place and how I can get rid of this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Julian

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:41:19 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:15:21 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>With that older card you should NOT be using the latest drivers, which are
>not stable with it. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that card.

I think that is a bunk statement. There's problably something
else causing the problem. I recently installed the 66.93 drivers on an
old TnT2 M64, GF3 Ti200, GF 2 MX400, and my GF4 Ti4400 in different
systems. All the cards worked fine, and have no problems with
resolution settings. The only thing about using newer drivers with
older cards is that the performance usally takes a hit. Even so, the
hit they take IMHO is usally not a big deal.
February 11, 2005 11:52:32 AM

Sounds like you have an old monitor that does not like high refresh
rates...? reduce to 50Hz and try...

You can do 800x600 in XP - untick 'hide modes that this monitor cannot
display' in monitor properties and then select 800 x 600.

Most likely not a video driver issue - have you installed drivers for your
specific monitor? these should allow usable resolutions / refresh rates.

Could be a few other things....

Is there another monitor / TV near your problem monitor? if so move it
further away....
Is there any heavy electrical equipment nearby?
Do you have any problems with your electrical supply?
Could be the video card or PC's PSU...

Guy

Julian Bessenroth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a strange Problem with my mentioned video card. From one day to
> an other a video game of mine appers to have a trembling screen. I
> installed a the newes driver but nothing chaged. By now I found out,
> that I can't even change my resolution under WinXP to 800x600. As soon
> as I change the resolution below 1024x768 the screen starts to
> tremble.
>
> Does anyone know why this takes place and how I can get rid of this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Julian
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:50:08 PM

Larry Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:15:21 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>

>>With that older card you should NOT be using the latest drivers, which are
>>not stable with it. Use the 45.23 driver for stability with that card.
>

> I think that is a bunk statement. There's problably something
> else causing the problem. I recently installed the 66.93 drivers on an
> old TnT2 M64, GF3 Ti200, GF 2 MX400, and my GF4 Ti4400 in different
> systems. All the cards worked fine, and have no problems with
> resolution settings. The only thing about using newer drivers with
> older cards is that the performance usally takes a hit. Even so, the
> hit they take IMHO is usally not a big deal.

TNX for the Answers. I found the solution, but I'm not sure whether I'd
be confident with it or not. Dave, your suspicion turned out to be
right. I took a driver out of the 45.series an it run at least with the
low resolution, but with those I can not run high resolution (1600) but
I can with the new drivers. Thats a pitty cause I need the low
resolution for some old application ans the high resolution ... you can
think of ... for some spare time gaming.

Facts:
new driver : low res. [NO] high res. [YES]
old driver : the other way around.

By the way, I can run the High res. under WinXP but just the games
forces new driver relaeses to be installed until they allow high res.
gaming ... bla bla .. you know what i mean.

Thanks a lot so far!

with regards

Julian
!