GTA SA other road users and modding

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Hi People,
Been addicted to SA on the PC for over a week now. The realism of
the game is amazing (except maybe the lines of gangsta's running towards
my gun).

Anyway, I particular like the behaviour of the other road users. For
example, overtaking each other on the roads, parking up in garages etc.,
stopping at traffic lights - and so on. But as a coder my head is
instantly thinking "I can do better".

So, I could develop a nice traffic simulation model and a simple
graphic engine to draw the model. But, what would be nice would be to
mod SA to include my own "improvements". All the mod kits I've found so
far seem to be about editing game data rather than game code. Is there
anything out there to let me get deeper under the hood?

Cheers
Jimbo

Yeah indicators would be nice.

The bastards change lanes with abandon.

T.

About the racial stereotyping as we're going down this slippery
slope...

How come with you jack a black guy or a Vatos in a lowrider, he's
listening to a Pasty Cline song sung by Willie Nelson?

Uh wtf???

Or Lyrnrd Skynrd?

I demand some racial profiling in this case.

T.

<tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
> Yeah indicators would be nice.
>
> The bastards change lanes with abandon.
>
> T.

Well, in the US of A, that is a very realistic scenario that is accurately
reproduced in the game. Leave it alone ;)

<tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
> Yeah indicators would be nice.
>
> The bastards change lanes with abandon.
>
> T.

Be great to see some "Age appropriate driving" hate to drive up
stereotypes in this horshit politically correct age... but this game is as
unPC as it gets anyway so whats the harm? Old folks drive slow in the left
lane with the blinker on all the time... Occasional drunks pulling out of
the bars (the ability to GET DRUNK at the bars, temoprarily improve some
stats, impair other stats, swervy driving ala Boomshine in VC, higher
liklyhood of getting busted)....Uptight guy in the business suit hauling ass
to get to work on time etc. Could ad a lot of new dynamic to the driving
portions of the game. And i'm dissapointed that I can drive a
tractor/trailer, but NEVER see them on the road otherwise, would have some
excellent potential for destruction.

Now i do think the "Road Rage" is a bit much, I can see it exagerated over
real world, but this is kind of over the top. Especially when the "enraged"
driver is stupid enough to flip themselves over and turn into body shrapnel.

"Jimbo" <jimbo@notexist.domain.com> wrote in message
> Hi People,
> Been addicted to SA on the PC for over a week now. The realism of
> the game is amazing (except maybe the lines of gangsta's running towards
> my gun).
>
> Anyway, I particular like the behaviour of the other road users. For
> example, overtaking each other on the roads, parking up in garages etc.,
> stopping at traffic lights - and so on. But as a coder my head is
> instantly thinking "I can do better".
>
> So, I could develop a nice traffic simulation model and a simple
> graphic engine to draw the model. But, what would be nice would be to
> mod SA to include my own "improvements". All the mod kits I've found so
> far seem to be about editing game data rather than game code. Is there
> anything out there to let me get deeper under the hood?
>
> Cheers
> Jimbo

oooh oooh someones replied to my post with some usefull info......

er

no sorry m8, cant help u, but when you do get round to makin this mod can
you please, please please give the cars indicators!!!!

Thanks :))
Remo

I think he means you never see a tractor pulling a trailer.

Phil Hibbs.

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I think he means you never see a tractor pulling a trailer.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Actually I'm referring to simply driving an 18 wheeler... must be local
dialact here, we refer to the "Truck" portion of the rig as the "Tractor"
and its towing the trailer. I've always heard em called "Big Rigs"
"Tractor/Trailers" "18 wheelers" and a few others, and i've heard the
"Tractor/Trailer" version coming from "Drivers" more often than not.

In message <l_fKe.85410$4o.13816@fed1read06>
"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote:

> And i'm dissapointed that I can drive a tractor/trailer, but NEVER
> see them on the road otherwise, would have some excellent potential
> for destruction.

Err, you have checked *anywhere* in the Badlands countryside haven't
you? Tractors seem to grow on the trees! I agree with the trailers
though, I had great fun with the Trucking missions, but I'm not sure
the game could handle spawning so many of them at random.

> Now i do think the "Road Rage" is a bit much, I can see it exagerated over
> real world, but this is kind of over the top. Especially when the "enraged"
> driver is stupid enough to flip themselves over and turn into body shrapnel.

I''m quite glad they do. When I first started playing SA and recklessly
crashed into somebody in front of me I used to get pissed off with guys
with baseball bats and shovels coming from nowhere to give CJ a kick in
the teeth. At first it was WTF!?!?

I suppose we just have to remember that GTA is based on real life(tm),
and these type of road rage attacks are sadly becoming more common.

Cheers,
Rob

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Remo Shiva wrote:
>> Anyway, I particular like the behaviour of the other road users. For
>>example, overtaking each other on the roads, parking up in garages etc.,
>>stopping at traffic lights - and so on. But as a coder my head is
>>instantly thinking "I can do better".
> no sorry m8, cant help u, but when you do get round to makin this mod can
> you please, please please give the cars indicators!!!!
>
> Thanks :))
> Remo

I've always fancied the idea of getting myself a motorcycle, but never
had because I like my legs just the way they are. After playing SA I can
honestly say now I will never ever get a motorcycle. The non-idicating
lane changing b*****ds are lethal.

Jimbo

Ah. A tractor in the UK is a farm vehicle with oversize rear wheels. I
worked for a logistics company for a while, and the cab part is called
a "unit" in the trade. Not sure what the vernacular is, probably "cab"
or "truck", but truck could also mean small lorry or flatbed.

Phil Hibbs.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:20:09 -0400, "GMpartsguy"
<kb1cih@comBUZZOFFcast.net> wrote:

><tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah indicators would be nice.
>>
>> The bastards change lanes with abandon.
>>
>> T.
>>
>Well, in the US of A, that is a very realistic scenario that is accurately
>reproduced in the game. Leave it alone ;)

That is not just in the usa mate, we have all of those idiots in
little old england.

not checking blind spots, thats the other little peach that happens a
lot over here

> >> The bastards change lanes with abandon.

> >Well, in the US of A, that is a very realistic scenario that is
accurately
> >reproduced in the game. Leave it alone ;)

> That is not just in the usa mate, we have all of those idiots in
> little old england.
>
> not checking blind spots, thats the other little peach that happens a
> lot over here

That happened to me a couple of weekends ago on the way to a wedding.

Cruising down the M6 at 70 (using the Explorer's cruise control) I was
almost alongside an old Cavalier and the driver indicated and pulled out in
the same manoeuvre. Then, when I didn't slow down, he kept coming out,
daring me to keep going. It was actually my safest option, so I did, and we
ended up a truck and two cars sharing two lanes between the three of us. He
wasn't very happy about it, but he was at fault (over here you fail your
test if you cause another driver to slow down or take evasive action as a
result of your own actions).

G Hardy schrieb:

> wasn't very happy about it, but he was at fault (over here you fail your
> test if you cause another driver to slow down or take evasive action as a
> result of your own actions).

It's the same here in switzerland. Dangerous driving is not allowed.
You can even be fined for "Nichtbeherrschen des Fahrzeugs"
(translates to not being able to control your car).

CU, Venty

schrodinger

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message

>> >Well, in the US of A, that is a very realistic scenario that is
> accurately
>> >reproduced in the game. Leave it alone ;)
>
>> That is not just in the usa mate, we have all of those idiots in
>> little old england.
>>
>> not checking blind spots, thats the other little peach that happens a
>> lot over here
>
> That happened to me a couple of weekends ago on the way to a wedding.
>
> Cruising down the M6 at 70 (using the Explorer's cruise control) I was
> almost alongside an old Cavalier and the driver indicated and pulled out
> in
> the same manoeuvre. Then, when I didn't slow down, he kept coming out,
> daring me to keep going. It was actually my safest option, so I did, and
> we
> ended up a truck and two cars sharing two lanes between the three of us.
> He
> wasn't very happy about it, but he was at fault (over here you fail your
> test if you cause another driver to slow down or take evasive action as a
> result of your own actions).

Kind of, except I think you fail a test if, by your action or inaction you
cause a dangerous situation.