LCD industry cannot make 16- ms response time for 19+ in LCD

LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.

Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
make it.

When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

sorry but you are wrong lcd with a rise and fall rate of 8ms * 2 = 16ms are
around you just have to pay most high speck lcd TVs are around the 16ms
range like my 27in Sony lcd but you have to pay around £2500 to get it.

"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

I've been wanting to get a 19" LCD to replace my 19" CRT, but I too am
waiting for the technology to improve as far as contrast/colour and response
times.
I've heard the Samsung 19" 193P is one of the best around as far as
colour/contrat, but the response is 20ms. Aparrently ghosting isn't too bad
unless you are a hard core gamer.

"lindon" <lindon@heaven0.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> sorry but you are wrong lcd with a rise and fall rate of 8ms * 2 = 16ms
> are around you just have to pay most high speck lcd TVs are around the
> 16ms range like my 27in Sony lcd but you have to pay around £2500 to get
> it.
>
> "angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
>> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>>
>> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>> make it.
>>
>> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

Guardian

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

"edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> I've been wanting to get a 19" LCD to replace my 19" CRT, but I too am
> waiting for the technology to improve as far as contrast/colour and
response
> times.
> I've heard the Samsung 19" 193P is one of the best around as far as
> colour/contrat, but the response is 20ms. Aparrently ghosting isn't too
bad
> unless you are a hard core gamer.

I have the 193P and it is a fantastic LCD monitor and you are correct as far
as I'm concerned....it is one of the best around right now. Color, contrast
and brightness are superb. I have brightness set to 36 and it's way bright
enough for the lighting in my room. As far as ghosting....I've noticed none
at all playing DVD movies and other videos. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I
can't comment on that, but playing some of the games with lesser action
(prince of persia for one) have no ghosting at all. Out of the box, the
monitor was perfect.. no dead pixels or anything else... has both analog and
digital hookups... can pivot for horizontal or vertical viewing and came
with a heavy duty clamp so it can be hung on the wall if you don't want it
sitting on your desk.

Someone in ati group post the following post. He mentioned
two SONY models.

He's right 19+ inch LCD with a response time of 16- mm are
available. But not too many. I've looked the 19inch he
mentioned many times and like it very much. The look and
the design. The 12ms response time. But it has a dot pitch
of .294mm.

The 23 inch has 16ms response and .25mm dot pitch. It just
costs too much and it doesn't look as good as the 19 inch
SDM-HS94.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:59:51 -0500, "Richard Forester"
<richard_forester(nospam)@msn.com> wrote:

>Boy, you are angry. You are also wrong. Sony makes a 19 inch LCD with a
>12ms response time (SDM-HS94). They also make a 23 inch LCD with a 16ms
>response time (SDM-P234).
>
>Richard

"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

NEC/Mitsubishi. Liquid. Envision.

Thanks Guardian. Good to know.

"anygry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> Someone in ati group post the following post. He mentioned
> two SONY models.
>
> He's right 19+ inch LCD with a response time of 16- mm are
> available. But not too many. I've looked the 19inch he
> mentioned many times and like it very much. The look and
> the design. The 12ms response time. But it has a dot pitch
> of .294mm.
>
> The 23 inch has 16ms response and .25mm dot pitch. It just
> costs too much and it doesn't look as good as the 19 inch
> SDM-HS94.

My friends are like you. They actually care too much about what the monitor
looks like. I think that is why LCD's are so popular. I couldn't care less
about what the monitor looks like, I care about it's performance.

Oh, Guardian, how does that monitor handle the resolution 1024x768?
I still have some games, like Thrones and Patriots, that play at that res.

"Guardian" <kguardian@hamptonroads.com> wrote in message

> "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> I've been wanting to get a 19" LCD to replace my 19" CRT, but I too am
>> waiting for the technology to improve as far as contrast/colour and
> response
>> times.
>> I've heard the Samsung 19" 193P is one of the best around as far as
>> colour/contrat, but the response is 20ms. Aparrently ghosting isn't too
> bad
>> unless you are a hard core gamer.
>
> I have the 193P and it is a fantastic LCD monitor and you are correct as
> far
> as I'm concerned....it is one of the best around right now. Color,
> contrast
> and brightness are superb. I have brightness set to 36 and it's way bright
> enough for the lighting in my room. As far as ghosting....I've noticed
> none
> at all playing DVD movies and other videos. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I
> can't comment on that, but playing some of the games with lesser action
> (prince of persia for one) have no ghosting at all. Out of the box, the
> monitor was perfect.. no dead pixels or anything else... has both analog
> and
> digital hookups... can pivot for horizontal or vertical viewing and came
> with a heavy duty clamp so it can be hung on the wall if you don't want it
> sitting on your desk.

Mike

Splendid

>LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
>Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>make it.
>
>When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

Well I'm using a 19" Hyundai L90D+ which has a 8ms response time. Compared with
previous LCD monitors I've used the background blacks are very good which is
nice for gaming. There is no noticable ghosting in games.

I now prefer this monitor to my old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 19" crt monitor.

I paid just over £400 but its now around the £360 mark or even less.

Mike

"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>>ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>>
>>Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>>19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>>make it.
>>
>>When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>
> Well I'm using a 19" Hyundai L90D+ which has a 8ms response time.
> Compared with
> previous LCD monitors I've used the background blacks are very good which
> is
> nice for gaming. There is no noticable ghosting in games.
>
> I now prefer this monitor to my old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 19" crt
> monitor.
>
> I paid just over £400 but its now around the £360 mark or even less.
>
> Mike

Mike,
I just read a review about that monitor, and the specs are very impressive.

angry wrote:
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

The industry is well aware of the need for fast response times for
monitors. I am still sticking to my IIYAMA 17 inch LCD with a 10 ms
response time for now. I believe you'll see rsponse times come down on
the 20 and 21 inch monitors long before you'll this on the 19 inch models.

This is the lowest price I could find for you for a 16ms response time
monior which seemed to get fairly good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=24-009-022&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Monitors

regards

> Oh, Guardian, how does that monitor handle the resolution 1024x768?
> I still have some games, like Thrones and Patriots, that play at that res.

Hello edde.... I haven't used the monitor in any other resolution other than
the native 1280 x 1024 so I have no idea...

> "Guardian" <kguardian@hamptonroads.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> >> I've been wanting to get a 19" LCD to replace my 19" CRT, but I too am
> >> waiting for the technology to improve as far as contrast/colour and
> > response
> >> times.
> >> I've heard the Samsung 19" 193P is one of the best around as far as
> >> colour/contrat, but the response is 20ms. Aparrently ghosting isn't too
> > bad
> >> unless you are a hard core gamer.
> >
> > I have the 193P and it is a fantastic LCD monitor and you are correct as
> > far
> > as I'm concerned....it is one of the best around right now. Color,
> > contrast
> > and brightness are superb. I have brightness set to 36 and it's way
bright
> > enough for the lighting in my room. As far as ghosting....I've noticed
> > none
> > at all playing DVD movies and other videos. I'm not a hardcore gamer so
> > can't comment on that, but playing some of the games with lesser action
> > (prince of persia for one) have no ghosting at all. Out of the box, the
> > monitor was perfect.. no dead pixels or anything else... has both analog
> > and
> > digital hookups... can pivot for horizontal or vertical viewing and came
> > with a heavy duty clamp so it can be hung on the wall if you don't want
it
> > sitting on your desk.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:39:14 -0600, "edde"
<waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>"anygry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
>> Someone in ati group post the following post. He mentioned
>> two SONY models.
>>
>> He's right 19+ inch LCD with a response time of 16- mm are
>> available. But not too many. I've looked the 19inch he
>> mentioned many times and like it very much. The look and
>> the design. The 12ms response time. But it has a dot pitch
>> of .294mm.
>>
>> The 23 inch has 16ms response and .25mm dot pitch. It just
>> costs too much and it doesn't look as good as the 19 inch
>> SDM-HS94.
>>
>My friends are like you. They actually care too much about what the monitor
>looks like. I think that is why LCD's are so popular. I couldn't care less
>about what the monitor looks like, I care about it's performance.

I care about both. Right now I'm on dot pitch. 0.294mm is
big. For all of you have a LCD with .294 mm dot pitch, look
at your monitor panel closely and see how big the smallest
dot is. You realize that's big. If you have a chance to
see the 23 inch SONY SDM-P234/B with .258mm dot pitch. Now
that's small and excellent.

angry wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:39:14 -0600, "edde"
> <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>"anygry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
>>> Someone in ati group post the following post. He mentioned
>>> two SONY models.
>>>
>>> He's right 19+ inch LCD with a response time of 16- mm are
>>> available. But not too many. I've looked the 19inch he
>>> mentioned many times and like it very much. The look and
>>> the design. The 12ms response time. But it has a dot pitch
>>> of .294mm.
>>>
>>> The 23 inch has 16ms response and .25mm dot pitch. It just
>>> costs too much and it doesn't look as good as the 19 inch
>>> SDM-HS94.
>>>
>>My friends are like you. They actually care too much about what the
>>monitor looks like. I think that is why LCD's are so popular. I couldn't
>>care less about what the monitor looks like, I care about it's
>>performance.
>>
> I care about both. Right now I'm on dot pitch. 0.294mm is
> big. For all of you have a LCD with .294 mm dot pitch, look
> at your monitor panel closely and see how big the smallest
> dot is. You realize that's big. If you have a chance to
> see the 23 inch SONY SDM-P234/B with .258mm dot pitch. Now
> that's small and excellent.

So what kind of work do you do that you normally are looking at individual
pixels?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mike

Splendid

>"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>>>ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>>>
>>>Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>>>19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>>>make it.
>>>
>>>When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>>
>> Well I'm using a 19" Hyundai L90D+ which has a 8ms response time.
>> Compared with
>> previous LCD monitors I've used the background blacks are very good which
>> is
>> nice for gaming. There is no noticable ghosting in games.
>>
>> I now prefer this monitor to my old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 19" crt
>> monitor.
>>
>> I paid just over £400 but its now around the £360 mark or even less.
>>
>> Mike
>
>Mike,
>I just read a review about that monitor, and the specs are very impressive.

Its not a bad monitor at all, buttons can be a little fiddly, in fact there are
no buttons on the front at all, but are positioned under the bottom righthand
edge and are only very slightly raised so you have to feel for them, but its no
big deal, and may improve the appearance especially as the monitor can swivel
vertically.

It uses the same panel as the new Samsung 8ms ie. model is the 915N I think
but has DVI where the Samsung model just has the analogue input.

AIS what I did like was its decent background blacks, have had it about a month
and overall I'm quite pleased with it and picture is superb with no ghosting.
Quite a few early purchasers appeared to have suffered the odd bad pixel, but
I'm pleased to say I have no bad pixels whatsoever. I don't think I would go
back to a crt now even for games.

Would have been nice however if they had given the 19" lcd more pixels instead
of just making then larger, although in fairness this one looks far better than
some I've seen.
IMO the 17" LCD's seem to be the sweet spot both for picture sharpness and
especially the price, but I found the text size at 1280x1024 can be rather small
which is why I went for the 19".

I also have a Iiyama E435S 17" which is a 10ms panel on my wifes system and that
also is very impressive especially now you can get them for £200 or less. For
the money I can highly recommend the E435S. (Has DVI too)

Mike

LOL
Where do you get such information @@?

Look:
http://www.sharp.com.hk/webapp/eip/ControllerServlet?action=productDisplay&productId=LC-45G1H#

and I Quote:

Newly developed 45 inches Wide Advanced Super View Black TFT LCD Panel with
Full-spec High-Definition Resolution (1920 x 1080), the highest-level in the
industry, reproduces high-definition (1080i) signals precisely

also

Quick Shoot (QS) Technology achieves 12ms quick response time, reproduces
easy-to-view high-speed images with reduced image retention

They are readily available, just not everyone can afford them.

I really, really, really want one of that 45in'er ^^

"angry" <angry@lcd.com>
???????:j3js011p7sbahlu1kvfgkt988lsmu87jrk@4ax.com...
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

Actually:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050213_115000.html

But yeah, I still prefer CRTs. The Sony GDM-F520 is the ultimate.
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

"angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
> LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
> ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>
> Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
> 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
> make it.
>
> When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.

"edde" <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> I've been wanting to get a 19" LCD to replace my 19" CRT, but I too am
> waiting for the technology to improve as far as contrast/colour and
> response times.
> I've heard the Samsung 19" 193P is one of the best around as far as
> colour/contrat, but the response is 20ms. Aparrently ghosting isn't too
> bad unless you are a hard core gamer.

Sizewise, a 17in LCD will replace your 19in CRT, and you CAN get fast 17in
LCDs.

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sizewise, a 17in LCD will replace your 19in CRT, and you CAN get fast 17in
> LCDs.

Not quite. My 19" Flatron CRT is over 18" viewable.
I wouldnt want to lose 1" going to a new monitor. I definately will only buy
a 19" LCD monitor, or larger.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:29:30 GMT, Mike <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What I find un-acceptable is Manufacturers expecting users to tolerate 1 or more
>faulty pixels especially on new monitors, luckily mine is okay.
>After all you wouldn't accept a new car with a couple of scratches on the paint
>work, and the manufacturer saying its quite normal, and only offers to change it
>when you have 5 scratches or more.. LOL would you!

Bid difference Mike if you car gets a scratch during manufacture or
delivery at worst you end up having a panel repsrayed or a best a
touch in job. With a TFT screen if a pixel is dead it's dead can't be
fixed. Only solution throw it away. Manufacturers who did this would
end up passing on the cost of all these scapped screens to the end
user and end up having to go out of business if they can't compete on
price.

>However, having said that I now notice that Samsung have now introduced a zero
>bad pixel policy so things are improving.

Very bad move or they are very confident in their manufacturing
process which given the time they have been making TFT's it could be
they have improved to the point where they can offer that sort of
service but my bet is that all they will do is only put their name to
the perfects and sell the "faulty" ones on to a rebadge company to
flog at a lower price point.

>Mike

Mike

Splendid

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:29:30 GMT, Mike <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>What I find un-acceptable is Manufacturers expecting users to tolerate 1 or more
>>faulty pixels especially on new monitors, luckily mine is okay.
>>After all you wouldn't accept a new car with a couple of scratches on the paint
>>work, and the manufacturer saying its quite normal, and only offers to change it
>>when you have 5 scratches or more.. LOL would you!
>
>Bid difference Mike if you car gets a scratch during manufacture or
>delivery at worst you end up having a panel repsrayed or a best a
>touch in job. With a TFT screen if a pixel is dead it's dead can't be
>fixed. Only solution throw it away. Manufacturers who did this would
>end up passing on the cost of all these scapped screens to the end
>user and end up having to go out of business if they can't compete on
>price.

Very true of course, and I fully understand the reasons why it would be not
viable to scrap off panels with faulty pixels.

However, it doesn't make the poor purchaser who's just spent £400 or more on a
19" panel feel any better when he has a stuck on bright pixel glaring at him day
after day. We all know the reasons why we are expected to have to tolerate
imperfect panels, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with the policy.
They should sell off the panels with one or more faulty pixels at a cheaper
price than the perfect ones.. and state so!
I build quite a lot of systems, and I can assure you its not easy trying to
explain to a customer when he picks up his system, and his LCD has 1 or more
noticeable faulty pixels and then trying to explain to him its normal!

Most of the panels I use are quite cheap, and I would say I probably get 6 or 7
perfect panels out of every 10.

Admittedly, one does tend to find more faulty pixel problems on the cheaper end
of the market and have probably already been graded and is reflected in the low
price. Having said that, I have had to return 2 expensive top end Iiyama 19"
panels because customers were un-willing to accept them. One panel had 1
noticeable stuck bright pixel and the other had 2 which were near the centre and
quite noticeable. My own Hyundai 19" 8ms panel (a Samsung panel) does not have
any faulty pixels, its just the luck of the draw! Still depressing however for
those unfortunates who do have them especially on new panels.

>Very bad move or they are very confident in their manufacturing
>process which given the time they have been making TFT's it could be
>they have improved to the point where they can offer that sort of
>service but my bet is that all they will do is only put their name to
>the perfects and sell the "faulty" ones on to a rebadge company to
>flog at a lower price point.

Quite possibly.

Obviously as time passes the manufacturing processes improve, and no doubt they
hope such a policy will lead to increased sales.
IMO good news for the end user. Applies to all Samsung panels after February
1st 2005.

Mike

Andy Lee wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:29:30 GMT, Mike <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>What I find un-acceptable is Manufacturers expecting users to tolerate 1
>>or more faulty pixels especially on new monitors, luckily mine is okay.
>>After all you wouldn't accept a new car with a couple of scratches on the
>>paint work, and the manufacturer saying its quite normal, and only offers
>>to change it when you have 5 scratches or more.. LOL would you!
>
> Bid difference Mike if you car gets a scratch during manufacture or
> delivery at worst you end up having a panel repsrayed or a best a
> touch in job. With a TFT screen if a pixel is dead it's dead can't be
> fixed. Only solution throw it away. Manufacturers who did this would
> end up passing on the cost of all these scapped screens to the end
> user and end up having to go out of business if they can't compete on
> price.
>

>>However, having said that I now notice that Samsung have now introduced a
>>zero bad pixel policy so things are improving.
>

> Very bad move or they are very confident in their manufacturing
> process which given the time they have been making TFT's it could be
> they have improved to the point where they can offer that sort of
> service but my bet is that all they will do is only put their name to
> the perfects and sell the "faulty" ones on to a rebadge company to
> flog at a lower price point.

Or perhaps they have a customer who doesn't care about a few bad pixels.

--

gimp wrote:

> do you have a samsung url that proves this...?
>
> this is the latest i've seen - quite a dismal pixel policy:

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=1&AT_ID=5608&PROD_SUB_ID=28&PROD_ID=-1

Uh, gimp, you see all those little ">" marks and those lines like "Andy Lee
wrote:" and "> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:29:30 GMT, Mike
<dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> > wrote:"

Well they actually have meaning.

I did not write "However, having said that I now notice that Samsung have
now introduced a zero bad pixel policy so things are improving.". That was