File Sharing in Wireless Network

mo

Hi

I have just set up a wireless network between my PC and my daughter's PC to share the broadband connection. I have used a Netgear DG834G ADSL Router connected to my PC via a Netgear FA311 NIC and the other PC accesses the Router using a Netgear WG121 wireless USB adapter. To share the printer I have got a Print Server connected to the Router and all is working OK.

Unfortunately although I am pretty good at connecting hardware together but my knowledge stretches only so far and I am not sure how to set up file sharing between the 2 PCs. Both PCs have Windows XP (mine Pro, daughter's Home).

I would be grateful if someone could take me through the file sharing set up using an Idiot's Guide.

Many thanks...
Mo >>

From "My Computer", find the folder you want to share, right click on it and
select "Sharing".

"Mo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have just set up a wireless network between my PC and my daughter's PC
to share the broadband connection. I have used a Netgear DG834G ADSL Router
connected to my PC via a Netgear FA311 NIC and the other PC accesses the
Router using a Netgear WG121 wireless USB adapter. To share the printer I
have got a Print Server connected to the Router and all is working OK.

> Unfortunately although I am pretty good at connecting hardware together
but my knowledge stretches only so far and I am not sure how to set up file
sharing between the 2 PCs. Both PCs have Windows XP (mine Pro, daughter's
Home).

> I would be grateful if someone could take me through the file sharing set
up using an Idiot's Guide.

> Many thanks...
> Mo >>

mo

Many thanks Gary & Jeanne and Chuck.

All the info has been invaluable and I have now managed to set up file sharing successfully.
Nice to know people care !!

Mo >>

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:46:02 -0700, "Mo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have just set up a wireless network between my PC and my daughter's PC to share the broadband connection. I have used a Netgear DG834G ADSL Router connected to my PC via a Netgear FA311 NIC and the other PC accesses the Router using a Netgear WG121 wireless USB adapter. To share the printer I have got a Print Server connected to the Router and all is working OK.
>
>Unfortunately although I am pretty good at connecting hardware together but my knowledge stretches only so far and I am not sure how to set up file sharing between the 2 PCs. Both PCs have Windows XP (mine Pro, daughter's Home).
>
>I would be grateful if someone could take me through the file sharing set up using an Idiot's Guide.
>
>Many thanks...
>Mo >>

Mo,

Here are a couple websites with useful tutorials:
http://www.cablesense.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/

With Windows XP Pro, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel - Folder
Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. To share with an XP
Home computer, you're best off enabling SFS.

If SFS is disabled, check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel -
Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
"Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
local users authenticate as themselves".

If you set the Local Security Policy to "Guest only", make sure that the Guest
account is enabled, and has an identical, non-blank, password on all computers.
If "Classic", setup and use a common account with identical, non-blank, password
on all computers.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:21:02 -0700, "Mo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Many thanks Gary & Jeanne and Chuck.
>
>All the info has been invaluable and I have now managed to set up file sharing successfully.
>Nice to know people care !!
>
>Mo >>

Glad to help, Mo. Thanks for the update.