6800GT bottleneck with P4 1.8GHz

I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than my
Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I have 1 P4
1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think upgrading to a
3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this bottleneck? Also, I am using
the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any suggestions
as to the best drivers for this card?

THanks in advance!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:25:22 -0500, "ReddShadoe"
<reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
>NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than my
>Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I have 1 P4
>1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think upgrading to a
>3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this bottleneck? Also, I am using
>the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any suggestions
>as to the best drivers for this card?

The 66.93's are fine for that card.

Your processor is the bottleneck. You will see a definite improvement
with the 3.2.

Considering I've had minimum framerates well above 50 with a 6600GT and AMD
XP 3000+ I would say yes.

"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
>NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than my
>Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I have 1 P4
>1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think upgrading to a
>3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this bottleneck? Also, I am
>using the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any
>suggestions as to the best drivers for this card?
>
> THanks in advance!

That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.

--
DaveW

> That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
> motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.
>
> --
> DaveW

Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
>> motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>>

> Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
> believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?

Yes, it only supports up to 533mhz bus, and the fastest i can find with that
is a 2.4
just buy an A64 and be done with it

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>> That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
>>> motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> DaveW
>>>

>> Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
>> believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?
>
> Yes, it only supports up to 533mhz bus, and the fastest i can find with
> that is a 2.4
> just buy an A64 and be done with it

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sv/sv_proc.htm

Pretty clear here that my board supports a P4 3.06 (well over 2.4 but below
my guess of 3.2)...

Any constructive suggestions from someone who is not just an AMD fanboy?

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:15:14 -0500, "ReddShadoe"
<reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote:

>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
>> motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>>

>Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
>believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?

Looking at the specs here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/sv/C1458301.pdf

it looks like the fastest processor you can get would be a 2.8.

ReddShadoe wrote:
> "Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message

>>>Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
>>>believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?
>>
>>Yes, it only supports up to 533mhz bus, and the fastest i can find with
>>that is a 2.4
>>just buy an A64 and be done with it
>>

> http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sv/sv_proc.htm
>
> Pretty clear here that my board supports a P4 3.06 (well over 2.4 but below
> my guess of 3.2)...
>
> Any constructive suggestions from someone who is not just an AMD fanboy?

I have a similar i845D chipset mobo. my upgrade options are limited, as
the 3.06 GHz Socket 478 Northwood core P4s are hard to come by. The 533
MHz FSB is the problem. 3 GHz P4s can be had, but mostly in the 800 MHz
FSB versions. The fastest 533 MHz FSB P4 I can find is a 2.8 GHz.

as can be seen at

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=11&Category=CPU&ThumbNails=Yes&FilterCategories=127&FilterMinPrice=&FilterMaxPrice=&FilterKeywords=

(ttp://tinyurl.com/4ogtk)

You can get P4s with HT and stuff for the 533 MHz FSB, but they're rare
and very expensive. The last time I looked 'twas arond £285 for a 3.06
GHz Northwood with HT. For that kinda money I could get an Athlon 64 and
a mobo! The reason they're unavailable is that Intel stopped making high
end parts for the older FSB speeds.

> Pretty clear here that my board supports a P4 3.06 (well over 2.4 but
below
> my guess of 3.2)...
>
> Any constructive suggestions from someone who is not just an AMD fanboy?

Few months ago I have bought (ebay.de) and replaced my old P4 1.7 Willemate
:( by P4 3,06, FSB533, HT, Northwood).
No comparision with working on HT machine (my chipset i845 and the mobo
supports HT)!

I made tests on both CPUs in Sandra.
According to them the new one is double that fast as the old one (both
arithmetic and multimedia).
The old one has the same results as a Celeron 1.7 reference CPU in sandra.

You can still get this CPU on ebay, it is hard to get this in the normal
store :(.

Best regards

--
Micha³ Byrczek
http://www.blitz-art.com

Paul

Splendid

In article <hO2dneLC9taFAonfRVn-rg@comcast.com>, "ReddShadoe"
<reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message

> >> Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
> >> believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?
> >
> > Yes, it only supports up to 533mhz bus, and the fastest i can find with
> > that is a 2.4
> > just buy an A64 and be done with it
> >

> http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sv/sv_proc.htm
>
> Pretty clear here that my board supports a P4 3.06 (well over 2.4 but below
> my guess of 3.2)...
>
> Any constructive suggestions from someone who is not just an AMD fanboy?

I like this picture, because it demonstrates how a good video card
benefits from a faster processor. Your card would be at the top
of this heap:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-04.html

I prepared a few options, including an AMD one for comparison:

************* Option 1 - Cheapest upgrade **************
http://www.cpudatabase.com ("search database", P4 2.8b)
P4 2.8b/FSB533/512KB Northwood 0.13u
Average overclock 3.3GHz
3.2GHz on a Asus P4PE (845 based board) with air cooling.
Here is a sample processor from the list on cpudatabase
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6HL

Buy a 2.8b and safely overclock it to 3.066 - price $167 US
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-148&depa=0
(There should not be any divider problems with that tiny overclock.)
(You may not even need to bump up Vcore to do it.)

************* Option 2 - LGA775 Processor + Mobo **************
This option gives you Hyperthreading, dual channel RAM, and
a faster FSB. You get to reuse your hardware, and only a new
mobo and processor are required. There are other companies that
make LGA775/865PE motherboards like this one, but I'm too lazy
to search for them.

Asus P5P800 $94 Takes LGA775 processor.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-511&depa=0
Intel 530J processor 3.0GHz/FSB800/1MB (Enhanced Halt - Cooler Operation)
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-011986.htm
Intel 530J processor $185
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-200&depa=0
Intel guide to dual channel RAM - any combo of DDR ram will run,
but some combinations run slightly better than others.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25303601.pdf

Total price - $279
************** Option 3 - Athlon64 Socket 939 mobo +proc *********
Motherboard $70 to $143 (Gigabyte board for $189 ? Why so expensive ?)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&catalog=22&propertycodevalue=6155,%200,%200,%200,%203829,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200,%200&minprice=&maxprice=&mfrcode=0&DEPA=1&Order=price
Processor Athlon64 S939 3000+ 1.8GHz 512KB Winchester 90nm $155
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=1

Total price - $225 .. $298
Note - Memory rules are different than Intel. You get four DIMM slots.
With unmatched DIMMs, you can use up to two DIMMs in single channel mode.
With matched DIMMs in pairs, you can use two or four DIMMs.
If using two DIMMs, you can run DDR400 Command Rate 1T
If using four DIMMs, you can run DDR400 Command Rate 2T (20% less B.W.)
Memory controller is inside the processor. The processor is picky
about RAM, and in the worst case scenario, you turn down the memory
to DDR333 speed to get stability.
***************
Performance (trying my best to avoid being a fanboy)
Athlon64 - best gaming experience. Can be smooth as butter.
P4 - not quite as smooth while gaming
- better desktop experience, smoother desktop
(comparison based on my P4 versus my AthlonXP)
- Hyperthreading contributes to smoothness (in WinXP)
- Much software optimized for P4, which is why P4 wins
certain benchmarks.

Note - I selected 3GHz for all of them, to get a cheap price
for comparison purposes.

HTH,
Paul

> [...]
> With matched DIMMs in pairs, you can use two or four DIMMs.
> If using two DIMMs, you can run DDR400 Command Rate 1T
> If using four DIMMs, you can run DDR400 Command Rate 2T (20% less B.W.)
> Memory controller is inside the processor. The processor is picky
> about RAM, and in the worst case scenario, you turn down the memory
> to DDR333 speed to get stability.
> ***************
> Performance (trying my best to avoid being a fanboy)
> Athlon64 - best gaming experience. Can be smooth as butter.
> P4 - not quite as smooth while gaming
> - better desktop experience, smoother desktop
> (comparison based on my P4 versus my AthlonXP)
> - Hyperthreading contributes to smoothness (in WinXP)
> - Much software optimized for P4, which is why P4 wins
> certain benchmarks.
>
> Note - I selected 3GHz for all of them, to get a cheap price

Wow, thanks! THis will be a big help. I just found out also that Athlon
xx00 is comparable to Intel x.x to a point, so now I have more to work
with...and you weren't being a fanboy, you provided a reason to look at
Athlon rather than just ignoring my questions and telling me to get an
Athlon.

"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
> NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than
> my Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I
> have 1 P4 1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think
> upgrading to a 3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this
> bottleneck? Also, I
> am using the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any
> suggestions as to the best drivers for this card?
>
> THanks in advance!

The Intel manual/specs for the i845PESV state the highest CPU that board
will handle is 2.8 gHz/533fsb/512K L2 (Northwood). And if your ram will
run 333 then that should definitely eliminate the bottleneck.
I don't know if a later BIOS release will allow use of a higher speed
CPU, but I am pretty sure your FSB will stay 533 max.
McG.

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>> That motherboard will NOT handle a P4 3.2 GHz. Time for a faster
>>> motherboard FSB, faster RAM, etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> DaveW
>>>

>> Well it WILL handle that processor...that board supports up to 3.2 I
>> believe...anyone else think the board will be a problem?
>
> Yes, it only supports up to 533mhz bus, and the fastest i can find
> with that is a 2.4
> just buy an A64 and be done with it

I have a Northwood 2.66/533/512K as a spare. They're still around and
fairly cheap.
McG.

> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
>> NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than
>> my Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I
>> have 1 P4 1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think
>> upgrading to a 3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this bottleneck?
>> Also, I
>> am using the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any
>> suggestions as to the best drivers for this card?
>>
>> THanks in advance!
>
> The Intel manual/specs for the i845PESV state the highest CPU that board
> will handle is 2.8 gHz/533fsb/512K L2 (Northwood). And if your ram will
> run 333 then that should definitely eliminate the bottleneck.
> I don't know if a later BIOS release will allow use of a higher speed CPU,
> but I am pretty sure your FSB will stay 533 max.
> McG.

Intel's site now says it supports up to 3.06, but they are hard to find.
FSB would remain 533mhz...of course my 1.8 has a 400mhz FSB, so even 533
would be an improvement. Still I am beginning to toy with the idea of
switching to either an 800FSB mobo or an Athlon mobo.

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

even a Abit NF7-S paired with a mobile barton 2500+ would get you good clock
speed for AXP @ 2.5 GHZ or higher with decent ram, and will out perform a p4
3.2-3.4EE at gaming at only 1/4 the price of a P4 processor :)

>> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates for
>>> NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much better, than
>>> my Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and whistles. I
>>> have 1 P4 1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you think
>>> upgrading to a 3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this
>>> bottleneck? Also, I
>>> am using the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card. Any
>>> suggestions as to the best drivers for this card?
>>>
>>> THanks in advance!
>>
>> The Intel manual/specs for the i845PESV state the highest CPU that board
>> will handle is 2.8 gHz/533fsb/512K L2 (Northwood). And if your ram will
>> run 333 then that should definitely eliminate the bottleneck.
>> I don't know if a later BIOS release will allow use of a higher speed
>> CPU, but I am pretty sure your FSB will stay 533 max.
>> McG.
>>

> Intel's site now says it supports up to 3.06, but they are hard to find.
> FSB would remain 533mhz...of course my 1.8 has a 400mhz FSB, so even 533
> would be an improvement. Still I am beginning to toy with the idea of
> switching to either an 800FSB mobo or an Athlon mobo.

"ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "ReddShadoe" <reddshadoe2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I just bought the 6800GT OC, and I'm disappointed. The framerates
>>> for NASCAR 2003 Season (by Papyrus) are better, but not much
>>> better, than my Ti4400. I get under 20 fps with all the bells and
>>> whistles. I
>>> have 1 P4 1.8GHz on an Intel 845PESV board with 1GB RAM. DO you
>>> think upgrading to a 3.2 GHz on the same board would eliminate this
>>> bottleneck? Also, I
>>> am using the 66.93 drivers I believe, whatever came with the card.
>>> Any suggestions as to the best drivers for this card?
>>>
>>> THanks in advance!
>>
>> The Intel manual/specs for the i845PESV state the highest CPU that
>> board will handle is 2.8 gHz/533fsb/512K L2 (Northwood). And if
>> your ram will run 333 then that should definitely eliminate the
>> bottleneck. I don't know if a later BIOS release will allow use of a
>> higher
>> speed CPU, but I am pretty sure your FSB will stay 533 max.
>> McG.
>>

> Intel's site now says it supports up to 3.06, but they are hard to
> find. FSB would remain 533mhz...of course my 1.8 has a 400mhz FSB, so
> even 533 would be an improvement. Still I am beginning to toy with
> the idea of switching to either an 800FSB mobo or an Athlon mobo.

An A64 would be the way to go I think. If I were doing it over right
now, I'd pull this mobo out and try one :)
McG.

TRENDING THREADS