At what point does 6800 GT not get bottle necked?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2005 12:51:55 AM

I am seeing a lot of people with the same sort of question, and I have to
admit I am curious too. At what point does the CPU stop being the bottle
neck (where is even flow achieved?) I have a P4 2.66 here at home,and that's
my bottle neck. I also know the 6800 GT I plan to buy soon will be a big
improvement over my Ti-4600 ( which is a good card, I play my favorite games
really well ) MoH, BF:Vietnam, Q3, HL2, and EQ. it isn't full eye candy
enabled but works pretty good. I maintain 60FPS on all my games pretty much
125FPS on Q3.

And memory being another common bottleneck (lets forget memory for now).
However at what point (clock speed) would 6800, and CPU be at perfect sync?
2.6? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4? or are we at the point where no matter what CPU you have
it will not run as fast as current 6800 graphics card speed? (Nvidia claims
6800 will work on a PIII? yeah right) lol

Also from my understanding and from reading Tom's Hardware page
(http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index...) Nvidia uses
the AGP chip set anyway, and PCIx is achieved using a bridge so going to
PCIx at this point gives nothing as far as increased speed yet.

When we get benchmarks they use 1 system (or several built the exact same)
but in the real world there are more systems and configurations then grains
of sand on a beach so I just looking for ideal CPU speed for pretty much top
of the line enthusiast card on market to-date. (I really hope its not
something like P4 3.6 but very well maybe)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:41:04 AM

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Kedrid ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> I am seeing a lot of people with the same sort of question, and I have
> to admit I am curious too. At what point does the CPU stop being the
> bottle neck (where is even flow achieved?) I have a P4 2.66 here at
> home,and that's my bottle neck. I also know the 6800 GT I plan to buy
> soon will be a big improvement over my Ti-4600 ( which is a good card,
> I play my favorite games really well ) MoH, BF:Vietnam, Q3, HL2, and
> EQ. it isn't full eye candy enabled but works pretty good. I maintain
> 60FPS on all my games pretty much 125FPS on Q3.
>
> And memory being another common bottleneck (lets forget memory for
> now). However at what point (clock speed) would 6800, and CPU be at
> perfect sync? 2.6? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4? or are we at the point where no
> matter what CPU you have it will not run as fast as current 6800
> graphics card speed? (Nvidia claims 6800 will work on a PIII? yeah
> right) lol
>
> Also from my understanding and from reading Tom's Hardware page
> (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index...) Nvidia
> uses the AGP chip set anyway, and PCIx is achieved using a bridge so
> going to PCIx at this point gives nothing as far as increased speed
> yet.
>
> When we get benchmarks they use 1 system (or several built the exact
> same) but in the real world there are more systems and configurations
> then grains of sand on a beach so I just looking for ideal CPU speed
> for pretty much top of the line enthusiast card on market to-date. (I
> really hope its not something like P4 3.6 but very well maybe)

Bak to Tomshardware they have CPU charts
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-13...

I soppose you might expect to see some sort of platauing or slowing of the
increae in framerates as the processor speeds get higher. However, looking
at the charts it seems odd, the performance increases quickly and then
slows halfway through the charts then starts increasing more quickly again.
Possibly we've seen the best performance from the 6800's just yet.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:42:30 AM

Kedrid,

There's actually a 6x.xx and 7x.xx driver comparison at www.guru3d.com -
they use a fast P4 3.6GHz setup with a 6800GT PCI-E, and the UT2004
benchmark comparison shows the CPU / board / memory combo limiting
things in getting the info to the GPU whereas across the other
benchmarks there is a differential between the different drivers.

You'll be glad to hear there are no such issues with HL2 and a number of
other games they tested. May be worth you looking at it, but as you
suspected, if a game is bottlenecking with a P4 3.6GHz then it may be
expensive if you want leading edge.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/170/

The UT2004 benchmark is on page 5:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/170/5

FYI my system is an Abit AN7 uGuru m/b, Athlon XP 3200+ Barton
(200DDR=400FSB), 1GB Corsair XMS CAS2 (2 x 512MB Matched running in Dual
Channel mode), a Seagate Barracuda SATA 200GB HDD and WD 120GB IDE HDD
(with SATA Converter block) both in Antec HD cooler bays, NEC 3520 &
2500A DVD Rewriters all in a reasonably well cooled (if a tad noisy)
Supermicro 750 Tower Case with a Taxan 480W PSU. I went from a very nice
MSI GF4Ti4400 to an extremely nice Galaxy 6600GT AGP 128MB, and the
improvement at 1024x768 and especially at 1280x1024 on my AG-Neovo F-419
19" TFT has been pretty terrific.

Personally I saw no point in splashing out more money on one of the top
line 6800GT or Ultra card(s) when a nice fast 6600GT AGP would do me
fine and was excellent value with just below leading edge specs. In its
current form, my system is still relatively high spec (though more
technology comes out daily), running everything I do / use / play
superbly well in either best or next-best detail levels at 1280x1024 at
very playable frame rates.

The only thing that does seem to slow down my PC at the moment is that
horrid piece of software Norton AV 2004 that eats memory quicker than a
Microsoft Operating System, but I'd rather keep my system intact! :-)

Hope this is useful.

Neil.

In message <%fPQd.1834$kU3.468@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Kedrid
<KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> writes

--
Neil J Bundy
February 17, 2005 3:46:44 AM

"Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message

> I am seeing a lot of people with the same sort of question, and I have to
> admit I am curious too. At what point does the CPU stop being the bottle
> neck (where is even flow achieved?) I have a P4 2.66 here at home,and
> that's my bottle neck. I also know the 6800 GT I plan to buy soon will be
> a big improvement over my Ti-4600 ( which is a good card, I play my
> favorite games really well ) MoH, BF:Vietnam, Q3, HL2, and EQ. it isn't
> full eye candy enabled but works pretty good. I maintain 60FPS on all my
> games pretty much 125FPS on Q3.
>
> And memory being another common bottleneck (lets forget memory for now).
> However at what point (clock speed) would 6800, and CPU be at perfect
> sync? 2.6? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4? or are we at the point where no matter what CPU
> you have it will not run as fast as current 6800 graphics card speed?
> (Nvidia claims 6800 will work on a PIII? yeah right) lol

depends on the card, i'd say 3.0 for a 6800GT/ultra
of course thats ignoring A64 users, but pretty any A64 will do it (ie 3000+)

> Also from my understanding and from reading Tom's Hardware page
> (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index...) Nvidia uses
> the AGP chip set anyway, and PCIx is achieved using a bridge so going to
> PCIx at this point gives nothing as far as increased speed yet.

other way, the 6 series are PCI-e, the agp cards have a bridge

> When we get benchmarks they use 1 system (or several built the exact same)
> but in the real world there are more systems and configurations then
> grains of sand on a beach so I just looking for ideal CPU speed for pretty
> much top of the line enthusiast card on market to-date. (I really hope its
> not something like P4 3.6 but very well maybe)

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:00:53 AM

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Kedrid" <KedridNOSPAM@kedrid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am seeing a lot of people with the same sort of question, and I have to
>> admit I am curious too. At what point does the CPU stop being the bottle
>> neck (where is even flow achieved?) I have a P4 2.66 here at home,and
>> that's my bottle neck. I also know the 6800 GT I plan to buy soon will be
>> a big improvement over my Ti-4600 ( which is a good card, I play my
>> favorite games really well ) MoH, BF:Vietnam, Q3, HL2, and EQ. it isn't
>> full eye candy enabled but works pretty good. I maintain 60FPS on all my
>> games pretty much 125FPS on Q3.
>>
>> And memory being another common bottleneck (lets forget memory for now).
>> However at what point (clock speed) would 6800, and CPU be at perfect
>> sync? 2.6? 3.0? 3.2? 3.4? or are we at the point where no matter what CPU
>> you have it will not run as fast as current 6800 graphics card speed?
>> (Nvidia claims 6800 will work on a PIII? yeah right) lol
>
> depends on the card, i'd say 3.0 for a 6800GT/ultra
> of course thats ignoring A64 users, but pretty any A64 will do it (ie
> 3000+)
>

>> Also from my understanding and from reading Tom's Hardware page
>> (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index...) Nvidia
>> uses the AGP chip set anyway, and PCIx is achieved using a bridge so
>> going to PCIx at this point gives nothing as far as increased speed yet.
>
> other way, the 6 series are PCI-e, the agp cards have a bridge

The 6800GT is AGP natively, uses bridge for PCI-E, you're thinking of 6600GT
which is pci-e natively.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:05:41 PM

\
I must just not have said it well, that IS what I meant. Nvidia had
Native AGP, w/ the use of a bridge to connect to the PCIx slot. However ATI
uses native PCIx card, and this is because of the cost to produce 2 native
formats of the same card (from Nvidia). Again the only difference this makes
is that it makes no difference if you go to PCI yet because its just not
"main stream" yet, but from my understanding gaining steam. I am at this
point pretty much decided to get the 6800GT in AGP. that way I can use it on
this computer, and then my next upgrade will have AGP I suppose then when it
had applications / any benefit to go PCIx them will consider that upgrade
then.

Then according to Tom's hardware guide only HDTV real time video editing
is only thing that MAY see any performance gains. Since at this time I do NO
video editing and only games I just am looking for FPS boost, and eye candy.
I love the Ti-4600 (which I use now) but on HL2 which plays perfect except I
get a little messed up graphics (only) on elevators. It's just not a smooth
raise to upper / lower levels that bugs. Then the fact I am not on full high
quality on everything (both minor) I figured the 6800GT would rock. plus I
look at my tax returns as free money, or money that I get to spend on
upgrades, so then why now? I get a solid 60 fps however and game is
completely playable I just want better.

!