Gateway 500 se pc

I have a Gateway 500 se 1.6 ghz 250meg ram, pc that when I turn on the
system the gateway logo boot screen flashes on and off and the sys
fail to boot XP. The system in the past has booted intermittently with
a lot of file registry errors. When I got the system it had a lot of
file errors and refused to boot until I reinstalled the OS. I
reinstalled windows XP then it appeared to be ok until I installed
service patch 2, then the errors started again and the sys refused to
boot. is there a bios update that I can install?? Can any one tell me
anything else to do???

The symptoms could either be due to hardware or software problems. First thing
is to make sure that the hardware is OK.

Download MEMTEST-86 and prepare a bootable floppy or CD and run the program.
The bootable medium boots up Linux then loads MEMTEST-86 which cycles endlessly
through comprehensive memory tests. The display on the screen is not pretty.
All you care about is running MEMTEST-86 through several cycles without any
reported errors. If there are errors, something is wrong with the motherboard,
processor or memory, probably the latter.

Next, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, go to the mfr's web site and
download the hard drive diagnostic software. Run all the tests which are
non-destructive. If the diagnostic reports ANY errors at all, replace the hard
drive.

Finally, reinstall Windows XP from scratch and apply all updates, critical fixes
and security patches before installing anything else... Ben Myers

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:19:26 -0400, Howard Huntley <hhuntleyjr@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have a Gateway 500 se 1.6 ghz 250meg ram, pc that when I turn on the
>system the gateway logo boot screen flashes on and off and the sys
>fail to boot XP. The system in the past has booted intermittently with
>a lot of file registry errors. When I got the system it had a lot of
>file errors and refused to boot until I reinstalled the OS. I
>reinstalled windows XP then it appeared to be ok until I installed
>service patch 2, then the errors started again and the sys refused to
>boot. is there a bios update that I can install?? Can any one tell me
>anything else to do???

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>>>it appeared to be ok until I installed service patch 2, then the errors
>>>started again and the sys refused to boot.

Ummm, maybe not SP2! Although it might be a good test to see if it is a
problem with that system.

You might want to consider getting a new disk and installing it as the only
drive in the system for a rebuild. Then when you get the system rebuilt you
can put the other one back in as a second drive and salvage your files.
Drives are pretty darn cheap these days if you don't have one lying around.