Solo 1200 Disassembly

I need to replace a faulty CD ROM drive in my laptop. I've found a place
that sells them. Now - will the opening of the case (multiple screws etc) be
obvious or are there some things I should be aware of? Is there any site
with any kind of directions? Or do you think this will be ok for a guy who
has opened and replaced components only on tower computers?
2 answers Last reply
More about solo 1200 disassembly

    Should be really easy. Use a small screw driver to pop off the bezel right
    below the screen (the part with the power button, etc). This part may or may
    not be attached to the hinge covers so be careful (I can't remember this
    part) This should give you access to the screws holding the keyboard. Remove
    the keyboard screws and swing it towards you(the ribbon cable should not
    need to be unplugged). Now you should be able to see one or two screws
    holding the cdrom drive in. Remove them and slide the drive out. Reverse the
    procedure to install the new drive. It has been a long time since I worked
    on a 1200, so this is all from memory, but it should be close enough.
    Standard disclaimer though, do this at your own risk, I am not responsible
    for any damage you might cause to your laptop by following these
    instructions, blah blah blah.

    "Bernard Carlton" <bcarltonREMOVE@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I need to replace a faulty CD ROM drive in my laptop. I've found a place
    > that sells them. Now - will the opening of the case (multiple screws etc)
    > be
    > obvious or are there some things I should be aware of? Is there any site
    > with any kind of directions? Or do you think this will be ok for a guy who
    > has opened and replaced components only on tower computers?

    Thanks - just looking for assurance - caveat noted.

    "Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Should be really easy. Use a small screw driver to pop off the bezel right
    > below the screen (the part with the power button, etc). This part may or
    may
    > not be attached to the hinge covers so be careful (I can't remember this
    > part) This should give you access to the screws holding the keyboard.
    Remove
    > the keyboard screws and swing it towards you(the ribbon cable should not
    > need to be unplugged). Now you should be able to see one or two screws
    > holding the cdrom drive in. Remove them and slide the drive out. Reverse
    the
    > procedure to install the new drive. It has been a long time since I worked
    > on a 1200, so this is all from memory, but it should be close enough.
    > Standard disclaimer though, do this at your own risk, I am not responsible
    > for any damage you might cause to your laptop by following these
    > instructions, blah blah blah.
    >

    > "Bernard Carlton" <bcarltonREMOVE@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I need to replace a faulty CD ROM drive in my laptop. I've found a place
    > > that sells them. Now - will the opening of the case (multiple screws
    etc)
    > > be
    > > obvious or are there some things I should be aware of? Is there any site
    > > with any kind of directions? Or do you think this will be ok for a guy
    who
    > > has opened and replaced components only on tower computers?

Gateway Computers