Good, quiet bang for buck graphics card?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi,

I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
a 9600pro.

Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
cards are.

All suggestions appreciated.

[follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]
12 answers Last reply
More about good quiet bang buck graphics card

    I bought this card for a backup SFF machine(Shuttle type) for use in
    our family room for the kids until I settle on what the media center will
    look like in a few months to a year and I was nicely surprised...

    http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0172732

    "Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case
    > with 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components
    > selected apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main
    > objective, so the budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd
    > rather go lower and spend the savings on other components if I can. I
    > assume this points towards a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief?
    > There's a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy
    > particular cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    The gigabyte 6600gt with passive heatpipe cooling. Needs lot's of space and
    don't expect to overclock it much!

    "Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case
    > with 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components
    > selected apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main
    > objective, so the budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd
    > rather go lower and spend the savings on other components if I can. I
    > assume this points towards a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief?
    > There's a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy
    > particular cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    I would suggest you not come to NVIDIA NG's asking questions on ATI cards.

    Jeff Conescu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
    > 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
    > apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    > budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    > spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
    > a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
    > a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    > cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    I believe sapphire do some passively cooled high end radeons (they call
    them their 'ultimate' series)

    9600 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600proult.asp
    9700 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9700proult.asp
    9800 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800proult.asp

    They cost more though (obviously needing more technology to achieve the
    end result - heatpipes, big good quality heatsinks etc.)

    > budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    > spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points
    towards
    > a 9600pro.

    If you want quiet, go with a AIW 9600 non-pro. It doesn't have a fan so it
    makes _no_ noise and if you're not a gamer, you'll never notice the
    difference in performance.

    "Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case
    with
    > 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components
    selected
    > apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    > budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    > spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points
    towards
    > a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief?
    There's
    > a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    > cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    Why ATI? Nvidia cards are better. Geforce 6600gt will suit you fine.

    Jeff Conescu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
    > 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
    > apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    > budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    > spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
    > a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
    > a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    > cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    Check out the 9550 cards @ Newegg.com. They are slower than the 9600
    Pro, but have passive cooling. I just bought one for my HTPC for about
    $70, and I am very happy with it. You can google for benchmarks of the
    9550 vs. the 9600. Also, avoid the "SE" cards.

    This is the particular one that I bought:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-141&depa=0

    It is out-of-stock at the moment.

    Note that I went with the 128MB version - I don't do much gaming, so
    256MB made no sense for me.

    If you are not playing games, you can get a Radeon VE board for probably
    $20 on E-Bay, they don't have fans at all, and they are surprisingly
    good cards. The "built by ATI" cards have DVI, VGA and S-Video (TV)
    output, any 2 of which can be used concurrently. Look for the "Radeon
    VE Dual Display Edition". Although "low end", with only 32 megs of
    memory, these are surprisingly good cards for anything in this range,
    and they are fine for everything (including office apps, web browsing,
    even photography, DVD playback and video editing) EXCEPT 3D games and CAD.

    Also, the "built by ATI" Radeon 9600 (no suffix at all) was passivly
    cooled (no fan at all) and they are available for under but close to
    $100, they also have DVI, VGA and TV out, and are obviously much
    higher-end cards.

    Jeff Conescu wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    > frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
    > 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
    > apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    > budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    > spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
    > a 9600pro.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
    > a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    > cards are.
    >
    > All suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]

    Consider a chaintech 5700LE

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:51:34 +0000, ofn01 <netusr@internet.not> wrote:

    >Jeff Conescu wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    >> frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
    >> 120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
    >> apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    >> budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    >> spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
    >> a 9600pro.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
    >> a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    >> cards are.
    >>
    >> All suggestions appreciated.
    >>
    >> [follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]
    >>

    >I believe sapphire do some passively cooled high end radeons (they call
    >them their 'ultimate' series)
    >
    >9600 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600proult.asp
    >9700 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9700proult.asp
    >9800 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800proult.asp
    >
    >They cost more though (obviously needing more technology to achieve the
    >end result - heatpipes, big good quality heatsinks etc.)

    I'd stick an Arctic Cooler on a standard ATI card (as indeed I have
    done). Macho fan setting for overclocking or "silent" setting if you
    are a big girl's blouse.

    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives

    Julian Richards wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:51:34 +0000, ofn01 <netusr@internet.not> wrote:
    >

    >>Jeff Conescu wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm putting together a system that's going to be located in a bedroom and
    >>>frequently used for watching TV on. Accordingly, it's in a Sonata case with
    >>>120mm fans and doesn't make much noise. I've got all the components selected
    >>>apart from the graphics card. Bang for buck is the main objective, so the
    >>>budget won't stretch beyond a radeon 9800se, and I'd rather go lower and
    >>>spend the savings on other components if I can. I assume this points towards
    >>>a 9600pro.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone recommend a decent *quiet* video card to fit this brief? There's
    >>>a real lack of online information available detailing how noisy particular
    >>>cards are.
    >>>
    >>>All suggestions appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>[follow-ups set to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati only]
    >>>

    >>I believe sapphire do some passively cooled high end radeons (they call
    >>them their 'ultimate' series)
    >>
    >>9600 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600proult.asp
    >>9700 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9700proult.asp
    >>9800 Pro : http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800proult.asp
    >>
    >>They cost more though (obviously needing more technology to achieve the
    >>end result - heatpipes, big good quality heatsinks etc.)
    >

    > I'd stick an Arctic Cooler on a standard ATI card (as indeed I have
    > done). Macho fan setting for overclocking or "silent" setting if you
    > are a big girl's blouse.

    Is thermal paste supplied with the arctic cooler?
    It is absolutely essential to remove the old thermal paste before
    applying the new stuff?
    Ive noticed that my 9600XT has two plastic pushpin things for the HSF
    (abit model) - does the arctic cooler have just two screws that match up
    with these or is mine meant to have four and is non-standard?

    im interested in the AC but just a bit concerned about having to do the
    replacement of my stock hsf

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:03:11 +0000, ofn01 <netusr@internet.not> wrote:

    >Julian Richards wrote:

    >> I'd stick an Arctic Cooler on a standard ATI card (as indeed I have
    >> done). Macho fan setting for overclocking or "silent" setting if you
    >> are a big girl's blouse.
    >>

    >Is thermal paste supplied with the arctic cooler?
    >It is absolutely essential to remove the old thermal paste before
    >applying the new stuff?
    >Ive noticed that my 9600XT has two plastic pushpin things for the HSF
    >(abit model) - does the arctic cooler have just two screws that match up
    >with these or is mine meant to have four and is non-standard?
    >
    >im interested in the AC but just a bit concerned about having to do the
    >replacement of my stock hsf

    I can't remember about paste. I got the old one off using a hair dryer
    and it came away pretty clean. I am no techie at all but even though I
    worried about it whilst doing it, I had no problems.

    I paid over the odds for a 9800 SE but it runs like a 9800XT so it's
    not all bad.

    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Nvidia Graphics Cards Components Graphics