Carl Johnson's Peaceful Circle

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 12, 2005 5:09:53 AM

Yet another made-up mini game (YAMUMG?) I've found myself playing a lot
recently in GTA:SA.

http://www.plbm.com/circle

Basically, start from zero, circle the entire GTA map along the
perimeter and "open" all the automap edges.

I haven't made it, but I'm oh-so close. Soon!

Kurt
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:55:42 AM

Boats are easy. You bounce off other boats, out-run helicopters, no
stingers, no missiles. When I did the UJ into Easter Basin Airport, I
took a boat back to the beach house and hardly noticed the rozzers.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:33 PM

In article <1123834192.972784.232460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Kurt <throwaway_92614@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Yet another made-up mini game (YAMUMG?) I've found myself playing a lot
>recently in GTA:SA.
>
>http://www.plbm.com/circle
>
>Basically, start from zero, circle the entire GTA map along the
>perimeter and "open" all the automap edges.
>
>I haven't made it, but I'm oh-so close. Soon!

You look like you've been using the railway bridge to take a shortcut on the
east side of the map. When I've been doing "circiut" type games (e.g. the
5-star circuit), I inist on using the roads, and so have to go inland to the
first bridge on that bit. I also have a rule that I can't abuse
limited-interchange junctions by traveling the wrong way on the motorway
sections, which makes the clockwise circuit longer than the anticlockwise
circuit.

When doing a circuit, one might also notice that there's an innacuracy in
the map. In San Fierro, where you leave/rejoin the motorway to the south of
the city (rejoin anticlockwise, leave clockwise), the junction is shown as a
bridge on the map, but it isn't.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:21:00 PM

In message <1123834192.972784.232460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"Kurt" <throwaway_92614@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I haven't made it, but I'm oh-so close. Soon!

Had a few good goes this morning, and got as far as San Fierro.

The Dodo appears to be better than using the Shamal though, it seems to
have slightly better control when you barrel roll to avoid incoming
missiles. After this, the Hydra jet chasing you normally swings round
you, so as long as you can avoid the missiles you can get pretty far.

I've also tried circling above the railway lines to wait for a train
but haven't survived long anough to see if they do spawn. There's
always the added problem of what to do to get back into Los Santos
(Although I don't think the railway tunnels are blocked up - I'll have
to check).

This challenge is akin to my circuit round SA with 5/6 wanted stars in
nothing but ONE Rhino tank. I've managed it three times now, one
anti-clockwise and twice clockwise.

I've got a feeling this 'Peaceful Circle' challenge is going to keep me
occupied for quite a while :o )

Cheers,
Rob
August 12, 2005 5:14:46 PM

Kurt schrieb:

> http://www.plbm.com/circle
>
> Basically, start from zero, circle the entire GTA map along the
> perimeter and "open" all the automap edges.
>
> I haven't made it, but I'm oh-so close. Soon!

Cool idea. I'll try that too but will use a boat instead of a
plane. =:-)

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:20:05 PM

In article <13cd3d994d.Rob@aqus02.dsl.pipex.com>,
Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>The Dodo appears to be better than using the Shamal though, it seems to
>have slightly better control when you barrel roll to avoid incoming
>missiles. After this, the Hydra jet chasing you normally swings round
>you, so as long as you can avoid the missiles you can get pretty far.

Better still - if you can get to the helicopter at Easter Bay airport, you
can usually get the Hydra to orbit you *very* easilly by going very slowly.
It'll never be able to get a lock on you then, and you can just take your
time.

While it's getting into that configuration, try hiding amongst
trees/buildings to shelter from the heat seekers.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:02:34 PM

In message <1123847742.727506.114810@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Boats are easy. You bounce off other boats, out-run helicopters, no
> stingers, no missiles. When I did the UJ into Easter Basin Airport, I
> took a boat back to the beach house and hardly noticed the rozzers.

Just did it :o )

After initially taking the train west out of Los Santos only to find
the blockade on the bridge I headed back to the airport and nicked a
Dodo.

My flight took me all the way North to the top-right of the map, and
then west. I got hit by a missile and dived south to Verdant Meadows
and nicked the PJC-600 there, before continuing west over the
rocky cliffs and eventually to the grassy cliffs near Bayside.

Managed to fall in the water here (God knows how) and nicked a nice red
Squalo which took me south a little way before I ran aground in San
Fierro. I was going to try the train lines again but remembered the
barriers, so I opted for another boat which took me all the way back to
Los Santos.

The boats are very easy to avoid the Police in. When I grabbed the boat
the helicopter seemed to disappear (Probably couldn't keep up) and the
Police boats can only hit you with their machine-guns if they're right
behind you, so it was easy enough to swerve left and right until I
outran them.

Got a bit tense when I got near to my starting point (Officially, I
chose the Los Santos Arena as an easy-to-spot marker). It's funny, I
took the most flak trying to back onto dry land than I did throughtout
the entire trip!

I'm just waiting for my digi-cam battery to charge if anybody's
interested in a photo.

Woohoo!

Cheers,
Rob
August 13, 2005 2:55:37 AM

I'll roll all responses as of Friday night into this
one post... thanks for all the feedback guys!

To: Martin Ebnoether

How did the boat try go? When I did that, I got whacked
real fast by the helicopters and boats. I didn't try
going WAY outside the map... maybe that protects you?
I think I'd like to stay "in the fray" so to speak!!

To: Chris Brown

Yes, I've been Dodo-ing or Shamal-ing into the Las Venturas
area first, then continuing. Is there actually a way to
use the road bridges when they are locked?? I have tried
several times but there seems to be the uber-invisible
wall covering everything, and going up quite a ways. Same
with the rail bridges, so that's why I fly.

I doubt I could swim across any great distance with 4 stars.

To: Rob White

I totally prefer Dodo. Just way better response to your
control inputs, even if it is slower.

Also, for the Rhino tank, the hugest thing I found is:
don't let anyone RAM you. That makes such a huge difference
that it isn't even funny. If you just blow through cars you
will blow up the tank in not very long.

But if you actively SHOOT cars just before they get to you,
you will find the Rhino takes a LOT less damage. It's
sweet!!

So what is your circuit, just the outer perimeter roads? I
want to get the Rhino and give it a try. I've only done circle-
cities in the tank so far, like when I did my Vigilante
missions in the Rhino a few weeks back (kinda cheap, I
know... but I wanted them DONE!).

To: Phil Hibbs

Well, I guess I'll give it a try in the boat. I had gotten
pretty whacked the one boat try I did in 4-star territory,
but hadn't tried this circuit at all. Did you just basically
keep going?

To: Chris Brown's second post about the heli

I had a BLAST zooming through the cities in SF with the
Hydra firing missiles into the buildings around me. But
when I ran out of building protection ... ooh ow.

To: Rob White's second post

Congrats! I tried again tonight but didn't get as far...
I think I'm out-thinking it, but I'll give the boats a
go. The big problem with the boats as you pointed out
is the entry/exit from the boat. That's when you take
a buttload of damage.

To All:

It's great hearing that you guys tried this. I cannot
believe the sheer number of hours I have put into this
game since I got it. I've never played any game this
much. Rock Star is teh roxorz. I will keep trying this
and next session I am going to go clockwise for a change,
maybe jack a plane out of SF Airport to complete the
final leg home???

Cheers,
Kurt
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:06:39 PM

In message <1123912537.762466.315790@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"Kurt" <throwaway_92614@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How did the boat try go? When I did that, I got whacked real fast by the
> helicopters and boats. I didn't try going WAY outside the map... maybe that
> protects you? I think I'd like to stay "in the fray" so to speak!!

If you mean travelling outside of the map in the "bounce zone" forget
it, it doesn't unblue the map. Planes and helicopters seem to have more
success in travelling in the bounce zone though, boats seem to get
stuck in "strong currents" like in GTAIII.

> Yes, I've been Dodo-ing or Shamal-ing into the Las Venturas
> area first, then continuing. Is there actually a way to
> use the road bridges when they are locked??

I've tried every single bridge to get out of Los Santos and the
northern Badlands but that invisible barrier is too tall and wide to
negotiate your way across. Use a rapid-fire weapon (The minigun is
*perfect*, although getting one from San Fierro might not be too easy)
and fire above and to the sides of the barriers to see where they end
(You still get a spark for collosion detection).

> I doubt I could swim across any great distance with 4 stars.

Getting into Las Venturas is slightly easier, as you don't actually get
the four stars until you 'trespass' (Get onto dry land). Those damn
police choppers can also hit you with machine-gun fire when you're 30
odd feet underwater too!

> I totally prefer Dodo. Just way better response to your
> control inputs, even if it is slower.

I've had a lot of practice flying the Dodo defensively against the
Hydra, and the smaller wingspan makes it much easier to navigate your
way through anything that can cover you from missiles (Buildings,
trees, etc.).

> Also, for the Rhino tank, the hugest thing I found is:
> don't let anyone RAM you. That makes such a huge difference
> that it isn't even funny. If you just blow through cars you
> will blow up the tank in not very long.

The Police's preferred method, the PIT manouvre, plain doesn't work in
the tank. More than often you can ram them slightly a couple of times
VERY gently and they'll either crash into whatever's at the side of the
road or the vehicle catches light.

> But if you actively SHOOT cars just before they get to you,
> you will find the Rhino takes a LOT less damage. It's
> sweet!!

I found it easier and quicker to just go around them. The recoil on the
turret makes the Rhino tank behave the same as in VC and GTAIII, and
inevitably slows you down.

> So what is your circuit, just the outer perimeter roads? I
> want to get the Rhino and give it a try.

I can send you a JPEG of my route, and I mostly stick to the main
highways as it's easier to remember. Doing the circuit clockwise is a
little more difficult than anti-clockwise as a lot of the roads don't
"flow" into each other (Freeway exit ramps, that sorta fing).

Plus, if you're starting with five or even six stars you might want to
head somewhere and heal your tank. It's going to take quite a beating
just trying to get the four star police out, and you'll need all those
hitpoints for the journey.

For some reason the authorities don't like to follow you onto the beach
near the lighthouse which is great for taking your time and picking off
the helicopters using the Rhino's turret. I almost feel bad; the other
chopper is an innocent San Andreas news chopper....

1. Starting from the connecting bridge in western Los Santos, head west
following the main road and get on the freeway heading south.
2. Follow this road all the way round to Angel Pine and continue north
past Mt. Chiliad and into San Fierro.
3. Continue following the main road as it curves in east towards the
elevated section of highway. Get on this and follow it north, you'll
eventually head over the other big red bridge.
4. Head north and follow the road through the tunnel, it curves west to
head towards Bayside. When you arrive at the interection, chuck a
U-turn and head back the same way back through the tunnel, but in the
same direction as all the other traffic.
5. When you're just out of the tunnel, drive over the barriers and hit
the road which runs into Tierra Robada. Follow these little winding
roads all the way east into Las Venturas and then jump on the Julius
Thruway.
6. Follow this east, then south and finally west. Take the first
available chance you get to turn left that takes you over to the
Northern Badlands. Follow the country highway south back into Los
Santos (Should be the Mulholland Intersection).
7. Carry on going south but turn off the freeway to go east when you
get the chance (This highway runs parallel with Grove Street and
leads down to the arena).
8. Once at the arena, follow the wide road all the way round to near
the airport. There's a little turn off south of the airport in which
the road takes you through a tunnel and back towards the beach area.
Take this one.
9. Follow the road west back to the bridge to complete your lap.

Phew! A little way past San Fierro or just getting into Las Venturas is
when the army will start to bother you. The FBI just love to ram you
from behind and set light to themselves, but this is much easier than
being swamped by them ramming you. Make sure if you see a car on fire
to avoid it, as the Rhino might be VERY strong but is still not totally
explosion proof. So far I can get round three and a bit times before my
Rhino goes to that army surplus store in the sky. A good telltale sign
to look out for if you think your tank is buggered is to listen to the
engine noise. It starts to go click-click-click-click and is much
easier to spot than the smoke.

> Well, I guess I'll give it a try in the boat. I had gotten pretty
> whacked the one boat try I did in 4-star territory, but hadn't tried this
> circuit at all. Did you just basically keep going?

I've got this down perfectly now: Simply drive to the spot of water
that's near the train bridge running north/south into Las Venturas.
Staying IN THE WATER head a little way east and start to follow the
cliffs. You should find a Jetmax or a Squalo floating there, so simply
jack this your off! I was quite surprised at just how many boats there
are in the water around SA, even in the far top-left of the map where
you don't usually go in the game.

> Congrats! I tried again tonight but didn't get as far... I think I'm
> out-thinking it, but I'll give the boats a go. The big problem with the
> boats as you pointed out is the entry/exit from the boat. That's when you take
> a buttload of damage.

If you can find a good spot, just run it aground. What I did for my
"official" lap is to start in the Dodo at the pier with the lighthouse
on the beach in Los Santos and then fly east, and then north. When I
come round in the boat to complete my lap I simply ran it aground.

I'm going to see how many times I can go round before
death/getting busted. This challenge reminds me a lot of trying to
complete Resident Evil 3 using nothing but the conbat knife. It's great
training for the game as it shows you all the cop AI in axion.

> It's great hearing that you guys tried this. I cannot believe the sheer
> number of hours I have put into this game since I got it. I've never played
> any game this much.

The sheer size of SA still astounds me. I don't think I've ever spent
so much time replaying a game over and over as much as I have SA.

> Rock Star is teh roxorz. I will keep trying this and next session I am
> going to go clockwise for a change, maybe jack a plane out of SF
> Airport to complete the final leg home???

As noted above with my Rhino tank route, it's sometimes easier with
slightly different routes. The reason I've picked such an odd route is
to memorise it when you don't have access to the cities across the
bridges. Doing an "un-blue lap" is quite easy to follow, but the only
way to get across is to swim (And that of course makes you pretty easy
cannon fodder). I'm being strict with myself by not just using a boat
to get across, as I feel this is going to make it much more satisfying
when I do eventually succeed.

Got as far as Angel Pine this morning before getting stuck in the
tunnels. Quick tip before I go: If you can, try to keep one, two or
even three Police vehicles behind you as it makes the game spawn less
of them infront of you going in the opposite direction (And thus makes
them easier to avoid).

Cheers,
Rob
August 13, 2005 4:29:48 PM

In article <1123912537.762466.315790@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Kurt <throwaway_92614@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes, I've been Dodo-ing or Shamal-ing into the Las Venturas
>area first, then continuing. Is there actually a way to
>use the road bridges when they are locked?? I have tried
>several times but there seems to be the uber-invisible
>wall covering everything, and going up quite a ways. Same
>with the rail bridges, so that's why I fly.

Good point, well made.

>Also, for the Rhino tank, the hugest thing I found is:
>don't let anyone RAM you. That makes such a huge difference
>that it isn't even funny. If you just blow through cars you
>will blow up the tank in not very long.

Agreed. In my 5 star circuits, ramming people will result in your Rhino
exploding sooner, rather than later. The Best thing to do is just nudge the
FBI cars aside. Don't shoot them, as that brings the army out quicker, and a
wallop from another Rhino is seriously damaging.

>So what is your circuit, just the outer perimeter roads?

Here's mine:

Start at the Big Chicken northwest of Verdant Meadows. Head west over the
bridge, and then turn right at the gas station. Then take the first right,
into Easter Bay tunnel, Follow the road round pas Bayshore, and over the
bridge into San Fierro.

Immediately after the tollbooths, turn right, then left under the bridge and
left again at the crossroads. Down the hill, and left onto the coast road.
Follow the coast road all the way past the west of San Fierro (the FBI will
put loads of road blocks here), and then turn right onto the freeway at the
end (where the map erroneously shows it as a bridge). Follow the freeway all
the way round, past Mount Chiliad. As you get to Angel Pine, if you want to
be strictly accurate you can leave the freeway and follow the short stretch
of coast road which parallels it for a while, but I regard this bit as
optional.

There's then a long easy drive round to the outskirts of Los Santos. Leave
at the half-cloverleaf junction and turn sharp left at the bottom of the
sliproad to head into Los Santos.

Follow the road round the coast until you reach the airport. Just before you
go into the airport tunnel, turn right, up the ramp, and continue on round
the airport. The freeway will lead back out into the country after a while.
Go past the tempting-looking shortcut over the railway bridge, and then at
the end of the freeway, turn right into the bridge. As you hit the Julius
Thruway, turn right and circuit round Las Ventura. At the northwest corner,
leave the Julius Thruway and head back towards the big chicken, et voila,
one circuit.

My next goal is to do it twice in the same Rhino, with at least 5 stars the
whole time.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:51:03 PM

Kurt schrieb:
> I'll roll all responses as of Friday night into this
> one post... thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'll then only reply to "my" answer. =:-)

> To: Martin Ebnoether
>
> How did the boat try go? When I did that, I got whacked
> real fast by the helicopters and boats. I didn't try
> going WAY outside the map... maybe that protects you?
> I think I'd like to stay "in the fray" so to speak!!

I've not yet tried, sadly. Saturday was the biggest Techno-Parade
of the world here in Z├╝rich. Of course I'm talking about the
Street Parade (http://www.streetparade.ch/) and I didn't really
have time for videogames then. Sunday was rather chillout day and
I had to visit my parents.

Though, I'll probably try tonight. I hope to be able to.

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:16:32 PM

Kurt schrieb:
> I'll roll all responses as of Friday night into this
> one post... thanks for all the feedback guys!
>
> To: Martin Ebnoether
>
> How did the boat try go? When I did that, I got whacked
> real fast by the helicopters and boats. I didn't try
> going WAY outside the map... maybe that protects you?
> I think I'd like to stay "in the fray" so to speak!!

I tried boat and it was quite easy. I used a Speeder and I did
not see any chopper though I had four stars.

Also tried the Maverick. Got shot down at the Gant Bridge.

Is there a Shamal which is open before Flight School? All I found
were locked...

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:16:57 PM

In message <4301cb10$0$1152$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>
Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

> Is there a Shamal which is open before Flight School? All I found
> were locked...

The one at Los Santos airport should be unlocked. if it isn't, head to
the other end of the runway and return, and the game will eventually
spawn one that's unlocked. This goes for any vehicle by the way,
although with cars I like to blow them up to guarantee the game will
spawn another. Quite tricky with aircraft though, you get an instant
three star wanted level!

Cheers,
Rob
August 16, 2005 8:58:44 PM

Rob White schrieb:

> The one at Los Santos airport should be unlocked. if it isn't, head to
> the other end of the runway and return, and the game will eventually
> spawn one that's unlocked. This goes for any vehicle by the way,
> although with cars I like to blow them up to guarantee the game will
> spawn another. Quite tricky with aircraft though, you get an instant
> three star wanted level!

Thanks Rob. I'll see if I can steal one and then take the trip.
=:-)

CU, Venty
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:10:19 PM

In message <4301ff23$0$1154$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>
Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

> Thanks Rob. I'll see if I can steal one and then take the trip.
> =:-)

You might be better off using a Dodo as it's slightly more manouvrable,
although the Shamal jet is still pretty fast.

Cheers,
Rob
August 18, 2005 3:24:34 AM

"Kurt" <throwaway_92614@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yet another made-up mini game (YAMUMG?) I've found myself playing a lot
> recently in GTA:SA.
>
> http://www.plbm.com/circle
>
> Basically, start from zero, circle the entire GTA map along the
> perimeter and "open" all the automap edges.
>
> I haven't made it, but I'm oh-so close. Soon!

I just did it - then got back to the CJ marker with two stars (I used a
bribe) and ended up having to do that first mission with the bikes before I
could save.

Got shot to death on the highway by the Ballas who turn up and four
policemen. :-(
!