is a gateway laptop worth buying?

well, it's time for me to consider replacing this micron pc
laptop & I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Basic question
is Should I consider an gateway laptop as a viable
alternative or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor
design/quality problems? Any insight you could provide
would be appreciated. TIA
-----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your peers-----
MB
4 answers Last reply
More about gateway laptop worth buying

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:54:35 -0500, Araknid <spyD@c1.net> wrote:

    >Should I consider an gateway laptop as a viable
    >alternative or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor
    >design/quality problems?

    I don't know if it really matters or not. With desktops, you have the
    choice of buying from a local white box builder where you get local
    support. But with Laptops, no matter who you buy from, that laptop
    was built in Taiwan and has nothing to do with the American company
    selling it except that they had their name stamped on it. The
    American company that has their name stamped on it isn't even smart
    enough about computers to even support it... They had to outsource
    that out to India.

    My last Laptop was a Taiwanese built box with the name Gateway stamped
    on it. In the two years that I have had it, I have had to get the
    Indians to have 3 hard drives and 4 combo optical drives replaced in
    it. The only time I ever talked to an American concerning this
    Taiwanese Laptop with the GW name stamped on it was when I put the
    order in for it.

    So, all I can say is since you can buy laptop white boxes, buy your
    laptop according to which Taiwanese unit offers the features you want
    and for the best price you can get because when it come down to who
    actually built it and who will actually support it, none of the "Face"
    brands are different. They all buy their boxes from Taiwan, stamp
    their name on them and then sell out the support for it to India.

    FYI, there was a discussion on another NG about some vender in one of
    the national computer mags that was selling a laptop that was
    identical in every detail to an IBM thinkpad except where IBM was
    engraved on the lid they had the Taiwanese engrave their company logo.

    Regards,

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:41:01 -0400, Shooter <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com>
    wrote:

    >So, all I can say is since you can buy laptop white boxes

    Sorry, meant to say:

    So, all I can say is since you ***CAN'T*** buy laptop white boxes

    No.

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/foster/2005/06/14.html#a265

    "Araknid" <spyD@c1.net> wrote in message
    > well, it's time for me to consider replacing this micron pc
    > laptop & I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Basic question
    > is Should I consider an gateway laptop as a viable
    > alternative or would I be inheriting a bunch of poor
    > design/quality problems? Any insight you could provide
    > would be appreciated. TIA
    > -----Expertise is not self-proclaimed. It is an honor awarded by your
    > peers-----
    > MB

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:27:28 -0400, "ted"
    <someone@somedomain.com.invalid> wrote:

    >No.
    >
    >http://weblog.infoworld.com/foster/2005/06/14.html#a265

    And the real sad case is that countless accounts can be linked to on
    the web showing where this company has an incessive need to lie to and
    cheat the public without any remorse when caught. We know that most
    all companies do but since I have been watching this, it seems that
    this GW storefront for Taiwanese junk computers is the worse. The
    public has "Mostly" wised up which has become evident in GW's now
    bottom standing in the market not to mention soon to be defunct or
    hidden behind a rename.

    Don't buy gateway if you value integrity and morality, just do a
    google and read all the accounts for yourself. With labtops, you are
    stuck with Taiwanese junk (no laptop white box builders yet) so you
    must at least buy them from an American store front that has a little
    bit of integrity and that ain't GW.

    Put it this way, if they will lie and cheat you from the start through
    deceptive advertisement and posted specification, then what makes
    anyone think they will honor their warranties. How can you be void of
    integrity and morality in one area and not in another? You either
    have integrity or you don't and GW doesn’t. Also, Best Buy doesn’t
    have much of a reputation for integrity either which makes them
    perfect partners with GW to push this Taiwanese trash with the Gateway
    name stamped on it.

    Regards,

Gateway Laptops Computers Product