nVidia Comparison

Morning all.

I'm running a budget GeForce FX5200 256mb PCI card on my HP 2.8gHz,
512mb RAM small-form factor. I'm thinking about upgrading to an AGP
card but the ones I can find that fit (low profile) have less memory.
The options are:

- GeForce4 MX440/8 64mb
- GeForce FX 128mb

Is it worth replacing my FX5200 with one of these and, if so, which
one? My ambition is to be able to run MOH Pacific Assault, which
currently runs like a Peckinpah slow-mo sequence. Pretty, but
completely useless.

As someone who's confused about the relative merits of nVidia cards
any guidance or recommendation will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Nigel

"Nigel Poll" <nigel@NOSPAM.nigelpoll.com> wrote in message
> Morning all.
>
> I'm running a budget GeForce FX5200 256mb PCI card on my HP 2.8gHz,
> 512mb RAM small-form factor. I'm thinking about upgrading to an AGP
> card but the ones I can find that fit (low profile) have less memory.
> The options are:
>
> - GeForce4 MX440/8 64mb

thats slower than your 5200

> - GeForce FX 128mb

that IS your 5200

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Nigel Poll" <nigel@NOSPAM.nigelpoll.com> wrote in message
>> Morning all.
>>
>> I'm running a budget GeForce FX5200 256mb PCI card on my HP 2.8gHz,
>> 512mb RAM small-form factor. I'm thinking about upgrading to an AGP
>> card but the ones I can find that fit (low profile) have less memory.
>> The options are:
>>
>> - GeForce4 MX440/8 64mb
>
> thats slower than your 5200
>
>> - GeForce FX 128mb
>
> that IS your 5200

No it's not, he's already stated he has the FX5200 PCI 256MB. That is not
the same as an FX5200 AGP 128MB.

Now to the original question: Nigel, I doubt very much that dropping to
128MB will make any difference, filling 256MB on a graphics card isn't an
easy task unless using very large textures, and that only tends to happen in
games that the FX5200 wouldn't be able to cope with that much data anyway,
128MB is plenty. However, you are likely to see little to no benefit in
moving from the PCI card to an AGP version of the same chipset.

Dan

Both of your chosen cards is SLOWER than the one you want to replace.

--
DaveW

"Nigel Poll" <nigel@NOSPAM.nigelpoll.com> wrote in message
> Morning all.
>
> I'm running a budget GeForce FX5200 256mb PCI card on my HP 2.8gHz,
> 512mb RAM small-form factor. I'm thinking about upgrading to an AGP
> card but the ones I can find that fit (low profile) have less memory.
> The options are:
>
> - GeForce4 MX440/8 64mb
> - GeForce FX 128mb
>
> Is it worth replacing my FX5200 with one of these and, if so, which
> one? My ambition is to be able to run MOH Pacific Assault, which
> currently runs like a Peckinpah slow-mo sequence. Pretty, but
> completely useless.
>
> As someone who's confused about the relative merits of nVidia cards
> any guidance or recommendation will be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nigel

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:01:07 -0000, "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk>
wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should save my pennies for
something bigger and better, so any suggestions for a decent but not
wallet-crippling PCI card?

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:01:07 -0000, "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should save my pennies for
> something bigger and better, so any suggestions for a decent but not
> wallet-crippling PCI card?

I'm not sure there is much else you can try. The only other PCI FX cards
I've heard of use the 5700 chipset, better than the 5200 but still not that
great. You really want to be looking at 5700 Ultra (avoid the LE at all
costs) or faster (5900XT was the sweet spot in the FX range, but the 6600 is
now the ideal one to get, but neither of these are particularly cheap when
compared to a 5200), and that puts you in the realm of AGP. However, I've
not seen any low profile models of the mid to high end cards. Unfortunately
small form factor leaves you with little in the way of options for gaming :\

Dan

Nigel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:39:06 -0000, "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk>
wrote:

<snip>

>Unfortunately small form factor leaves you with little in the way of options for gaming :\

Thanks for the advice Dan. CoD:UO it is then...

Nigel

Nigel Poll wrote:

> I'm running a budget GeForce FX5200 256mb PCI card on my HP 2.8gHz,
> 512mb RAM small-form factor. I'm thinking about upgrading to an AGP
> card but the ones I can find that fit (low profile) have less memory.

Who cares? The 256MB does bring You exactly _nothing_ on the slow FX5200,
even with 64MB the card isn't slower...

> The options are:
>
> - GeForce4 MX440/8 64mb

Don't get that! The GF4MX is just a modified GF2MX and has nothing in common
with the Geforce4 series except the name. This card is 3 generations behind,
and not worth it's money...

> - GeForce FX 128mb

What GeforceFX? The FX range goes from 5200 (what You have) up to 5950 which
all have different performance figures...

> Is it worth replacing my FX5200 with one of these and, if so, which
> one? My ambition is to be able to run MOH Pacific Assault, which
> currently runs like a Peckinpah slow-mo sequence. Pretty, but
> completely useless.

With a 2.8GHz CPU I'd recommend to get something in the ATI Radeon 9600 or
Nvidia GeforceFX 5700 range or better. If the card has 128MB of memory
that's more than enough as more memory is only a waste of money on these
cards...

Benjamin