Gigabyte 128 6600GT 128VP - Too hot to handle

I have a Gigabyte 6600GT 128VP running on AMD 64 3.2....I have been on
the receiving end of some very hot temps since putting the machine
together a couple of weeks ago.

Idle temps in windows desktop run at 62 degrees for tickover,
according to the Gigabyte software (is this normaL?).

However, under load from HL2 after about 10 mins, the graphics start
to pixel out, with white blocks on the screen all over the place.

On checking the temp after this, it reads as high as 95 degrees. But
then cools very quickly, dropping around 10 degrees a minute at first.
The factory settings for the heat alarm is set to 145 degrees!

The card has a heatsink, not a fan. I am considering a cooling unit
for the card intself to lessen the temps.

Also, just earlier i reduced the core speed of the memory using the "V
Tuner" software to the minimum available (270 mhz core, 1008 mhz
clock). Having played HL2 for a period longer than 10 mins, I have not
had any problems as yet but am not expecting this to fix it.

I cannot forsee the card running short on power, as there is a 650
watt power supply installed. Also, 2 intake fans on the front and 1
8cm exhaust on the rear of the case.

If anyone has any other ideas i would be grateful. Obviously I have
aset up that should be able to run at least at default settings. Not
being able to is disappointing, as is not being able to run software
the machine should cope with.

Thanks,

Baz.

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Barry Crowe ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> I have a Gigabyte 6600GT 128VP running on AMD 64 3.2....I have been on
> the receiving end of some very hot temps since putting the machine
> together a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Idle temps in windows desktop run at 62 degrees for tickover,
> according to the Gigabyte software (is this normaL?).
>
> However, under load from HL2 after about 10 mins, the graphics start
> to pixel out, with white blocks on the screen all over the place.
>
> On checking the temp after this, it reads as high as 95 degrees. But
> then cools very quickly, dropping around 10 degrees a minute at first.
> The factory settings for the heat alarm is set to 145 degrees!
>
> The card has a heatsink, not a fan. I am considering a cooling unit
> for the card intself to lessen the temps.
>
> Also, just earlier i reduced the core speed of the memory using the "V
> Tuner" software to the minimum available (270 mhz core, 1008 mhz
> clock). Having played HL2 for a period longer than 10 mins, I have not
> had any problems as yet but am not expecting this to fix it.
>
> I cannot forsee the card running short on power, as there is a 650
> watt power supply installed. Also, 2 intake fans on the front and 1
> 8cm exhaust on the rear of the case.
>
> If anyone has any other ideas i would be grateful. Obviously I have
> aset up that should be able to run at least at default settings. Not
> being able to is disappointing, as is not being able to run software
> the machine should cope with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Baz.

Whats an AMD 64 3.2 ?

62°c isnt normal at all. You have some cooling problems. Chances are the
fact the graphics card doesnt have a fan it is increasing your case
temperatures.

Possibly your two intake fans are bringing in more air than the exhausts
can expell and this is making air inside the case static (static as in not
moving rather than static electricity) and causing a buildup of heat. But
there are many arguements about what is the best way to arrange case fans.
It might make a difference actually turning off the intake fans; even if it
makes no difference it could be worth a try for arguments sake.

Is noise an issue? Try running the machine with the side off and see what
temperatures you get. Also check for dust build-up on heatsinks.

good luck, hope you get the problems sorted.

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Barry Crowe ordered an army of
> hamsters to type:
>
>> I have a Gigabyte 6600GT 128VP running on AMD 64 3.2....I have been on
>> the receiving end of some very hot temps since putting the machine
>> together a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>> Idle temps in windows desktop run at 62 degrees for tickover,
>> according to the Gigabyte software (is this normaL?).
>>
>> However, under load from HL2 after about 10 mins, the graphics start
>> to pixel out, with white blocks on the screen all over the place.
>>
>> On checking the temp after this, it reads as high as 95 degrees. But
>> then cools very quickly, dropping around 10 degrees a minute at first.
>> The factory settings for the heat alarm is set to 145 degrees!
>>
>> The card has a heatsink, not a fan. I am considering a cooling unit
>> for the card intself to lessen the temps.
>>
>> Also, just earlier i reduced the core speed of the memory using the "V
>> Tuner" software to the minimum available (270 mhz core, 1008 mhz
>> clock). Having played HL2 for a period longer than 10 mins, I have not
>> had any problems as yet but am not expecting this to fix it.
>>
>> I cannot forsee the card running short on power, as there is a 650
>> watt power supply installed. Also, 2 intake fans on the front and 1
>> 8cm exhaust on the rear of the case.
>>
>> If anyone has any other ideas i would be grateful. Obviously I have
>> aset up that should be able to run at least at default settings. Not
>> being able to is disappointing, as is not being able to run software
>> the machine should cope with.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Baz.
>>

> Whats an AMD 64 3.2 ?

An overclocked FX55? :)

> 62°c isnt normal at all. You have some cooling problems. Chances are the
> fact the graphics card doesnt have a fan it is increasing your case
> temperatures.
>
> Possibly your two intake fans are bringing in more air than the exhausts
> can expell and this is making air inside the case static (static as in not
> moving rather than static electricity) and causing a buildup of heat. But
> there are many arguements about what is the best way to arrange case fans.

there arent, there is a standard of in at the front (and side), out at the
back (and top) with the same CFM coming in as going out