buying NVidia 6600 GT, which brand XFX or ASUS?

Hello all,

I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
candidates I think) to get it from ...

Please find bellow a "consolidated" specification, as
I have been able to collect researching in internet from
different shops and hardware reviews, please correct me
if I am wrong but they look to have exactly the same
properties ...

- "ASUS Extreme PCI-E N6600GT/TD/128MB GDDR3"

Specification:

ASUS Extreme N6600GT/TD/128 GeForce 6600 GT
128MB GDDR3 DVI TV-Out PCI-Express Retail.

Graphics Engine : GeForce 6600GT
Video Memory : 128MB GDDR3
Engine Clock : 500MHz
Memory Clock : 1GHz
RAMDAC : 400MHz
Pixel Pipelines : 8
Graphics Core : ?
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Max Resolution : 2048x1536
Bus Standard : PCI-Express
VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
TV Output : S-Video and Composite
DVI Output : DVI-I
2nd VGA Output : Yes

- "XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 EXTREME GAMER EDITION"

Specification:

XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 DUAL DVI & TV OUT
EXTREME GAMER EDITION

Model : GEFORCE 6600 GT
Video Memory : 128MB DDR3
Engine Clock : 500MHz
Memory Clock : 1GHz
RAMDACs : 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines : 8
Graphics Core : 256-bit
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Max Resolution : 2048x1536
Bus Standard : PCI-Express
VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
TV Output : S-Video and Composite
DVI Output : DVI-I
2nd VGA Output : Yes

Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?

TIA,
Best Regards,
Giovanni
20 answers Last reply
More about buying nvidia 6600 brand asus

    The cheaper of the two...?

    Guy

    "Bigguy" <Bigguy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > The cheaper of the two...?

    May not be necessarily the best, for 15USD difference
    or so I would never choose the worst of the two ...

    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    > Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    > Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    > candidates I think) to get it from ...

    I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that these
    cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap and
    noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...

    > Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?

    If the decision is only Asus or XFX I'd take Asus. Speedwise there is no
    real difference between all the GF6600GTs.

    But if You want a really good gfx card without useless gizmos but with a
    very good signal quality have a look at the PNY Verto GF6600GT. PNY is the
    manufacturer of the Nvidia Quadro professional gfx boards which are sold by
    different vendors (HP, FSC, IBM, Dell) and certainly makes very good
    products with a good support. The PNY is not more expensive than other
    6600GTs but comes with 3yrs warranty.

    Benjamin

    Many thanks!!!

    "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Giovanni Azua wrote:
    >
    > > I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    > > Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    > > Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    > > candidates I think) to get it from ...
    >
    > I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that these
    > cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap and
    > noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...
    >
    > > Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?
    >
    > If the decision is only Asus or XFX I'd take Asus. Speedwise there is no
    > real difference between all the GF6600GTs.
    >
    > But if You want a really good gfx card without useless gizmos but with a
    > very good signal quality have a look at the PNY Verto GF6600GT. PNY is the
    > manufacturer of the Nvidia Quadro professional gfx boards which are sold
    by
    > different vendors (HP, FSC, IBM, Dell) and certainly makes very good
    > products with a good support. The PNY is not more expensive than other
    > 6600GTs but comes with 3yrs warranty.
    >
    > Benjamin

    I don't like the dual dvi outputs on the XFX. I'd rather have one of each
    than have to use the adaptor.

    DaveL

    "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Giovanni Azua wrote:
    >
    >> I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    >> Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    >> Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    >> candidates I think) to get it from ...
    >
    > I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that these
    > cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap and
    > noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...
    >
    >> Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?
    >
    > If the decision is only Asus or XFX I'd take Asus. Speedwise there is no
    > real difference between all the GF6600GTs.
    >
    > But if You want a really good gfx card without useless gizmos but with a
    > very good signal quality have a look at the PNY Verto GF6600GT. PNY is the
    > manufacturer of the Nvidia Quadro professional gfx boards which are sold
    > by different vendors (HP, FSC, IBM, Dell) and certainly makes very good
    > products with a good support. The PNY is not more expensive than other
    > 6600GTs but comes with 3yrs warranty.
    >
    > Benjamin

    Hi Dave,

    Isn't dual DVI better for connecting two FPs? and
    also healthier for the eyes having DVI instead of
    VGA?

    This is specially what most reviews I have seen attribute
    to XFX to be the best card on the 6600GT line:

    - Dual DVI.
    - Fastest GRAM memory.

    http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD05MTAmdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mg==

    Regards,
    Giovanni

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I don't like the dual dvi outputs on the XFX. I'd rather have one of each
    > than have to use the adaptor.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > > Giovanni Azua wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    > >> Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    > >> Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    > >> candidates I think) to get it from ...
    > >
    > > I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that
    these
    > > cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap
    and
    > > noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...
    > >
    > >> Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?
    > >
    > > If the decision is only Asus or XFX I'd take Asus. Speedwise there is no
    > > real difference between all the GF6600GTs.
    > >
    > > But if You want a really good gfx card without useless gizmos but with a
    > > very good signal quality have a look at the PNY Verto GF6600GT. PNY is
    the
    > > manufacturer of the Nvidia Quadro professional gfx boards which are sold
    > > by different vendors (HP, FSC, IBM, Dell) and certainly makes very good
    > > products with a good support. The PNY is not more expensive than other
    > > 6600GTs but comes with 3yrs warranty.
    > >
    > > Benjamin

    Yes, if you want to connect two flat panels that have dvi inputs then it's a
    good feature to have. I will never want to do that so for me I don't like
    it.

    DaveL

    "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Isn't dual DVI better for connecting two FPs? and
    > also healthier for the eyes having DVI instead of
    > VGA?
    >
    > This is specially what most reviews I have seen attribute
    > to XFX to be the best card on the 6600GT line:
    >
    > - Dual DVI.
    > - Fastest GRAM memory.
    >
    > http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD05MTAmdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mg==
    >
    > Regards,
    > Giovanni
    >
    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I don't like the dual dvi outputs on the XFX. I'd rather have one of
    >> each
    >> than have to use the adaptor.
    >>
    >> DaveL
    >>

    >> "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message

    >> > I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that
    > these
    >> > cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap
    > and
    >> > noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...

    >> > If the decision is only Asus or XFX I'd take Asus. Speedwise there is
    >> > no
    >> > real difference between all the GF6600GTs.
    >> >
    >> > But if You want a really good gfx card without useless gizmos but with
    >> > very good signal quality have a look at the PNY Verto GF6600GT. PNY is
    > the
    >> > manufacturer of the Nvidia Quadro professional gfx boards which are
    >> > sold
    >> > by different vendors (HP, FSC, IBM, Dell) and certainly makes very good
    >> > products with a good support. The PNY is not more expensive than other
    >> > 6600GTs but comes with 3yrs warranty.
    >> >
    >> > Benjamin

    Ok I made my mind already, going for the XFX 6600GT!

    I can not spend my half life deciding :-) ...

    Additionally is the only one I can find right now in
    the shops here in Switzerland so ... what a hell
    about selecting :-)

    Thanks to all for your great help!

    Best Regards,
    Giovanni

    "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    > Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    > Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    > candidates I think) to get it from ...
    >
    > Please find bellow a "consolidated" specification, as
    > I have been able to collect researching in internet from
    > different shops and hardware reviews, please correct me
    > if I am wrong but they look to have exactly the same
    > properties ...
    >
    > - "ASUS Extreme PCI-E N6600GT/TD/128MB GDDR3"
    >
    > Specification:
    >
    > ASUS Extreme N6600GT/TD/128 GeForce 6600 GT
    > 128MB GDDR3 DVI TV-Out PCI-Express Retail.
    >
    > Graphics Engine : GeForce 6600GT
    > Video Memory : 128MB GDDR3
    > Engine Clock : 500MHz
    > Memory Clock : 1GHz
    > RAMDAC : 400MHz
    > Pixel Pipelines : 8
    > Graphics Core : ?
    > Memory Interface: 128-bit
    > Max Resolution : 2048x1536
    > Bus Standard : PCI-Express
    > VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
    > TV Output : S-Video and Composite
    > DVI Output : DVI-I
    > 2nd VGA Output : Yes
    >
    > - "XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 EXTREME GAMER EDITION"
    >
    > Specification:
    >
    > XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 DUAL DVI & TV OUT
    > EXTREME GAMER EDITION
    >
    > Model : GEFORCE 6600 GT
    > Video Memory : 128MB DDR3
    > Engine Clock : 500MHz
    > Memory Clock : 1GHz
    > RAMDACs : 400 MHz
    > Pixel Pipelines : 8
    > Graphics Core : 256-bit
    > Memory Interface: 128-bit
    > Max Resolution : 2048x1536
    > Bus Standard : PCI-Express
    > VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
    > TV Output : S-Video and Composite
    > DVI Output : DVI-I
    > 2nd VGA Output : Yes
    >
    > Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni

    Giovanni,

    > XFX 6600GT!

    Here's some info on the base GPU used in those cards;

    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q3/geforce-6600gt/index.x?pg=1

    I just got a XFX 6600GT PGI for the new PC I'll be building.

    Jim

    Jim,

    > XFX 6600GT PGI

    Make that AGP <g>

    Jim

    "Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message:
    > I for myself don't know XFX but I heard from different sources that these
    > cards can be a pain in the ass. The fans usually seem to be very cheap and
    > noisy, and the signal quality is really bad...

    I will write a note with impressions in couple of hours as soon as I
    have the XFX 6600GT installed :-P~~~ hopefully the bloody media-markt
    (only shop that has it right now) won't run out of stock ...

    Regards,
    Giovanni
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    DaveL wrote:

    > I don't like the dual dvi outputs on the XFX. I'd rather have one of
    > each than have to use the adaptor.

    I can't speak for the XFX but the PNY delivers a much better image quality
    on CRTs even when using the included adapters than most other Geforce cards
    do without adapter...

    Benjamin
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > Isn't dual DVI better for connecting two FPs?

    The Dual DVI ports allow You to connect two flat panel monitors (TFT), two
    CRTs, or one TFT and one CRT...

    > and
    > also healthier for the eyes having DVI instead of
    > VGA?

    DVI is digital, and brings a very sharp and clear picture. Using VGA is
    worse since thats analog, and the most stupid way of connecting a TFT...

    > This is specially what most reviews I have seen attribute
    > to XFX to be the best card on the 6600GT line:
    >
    > - Dual DVI.
    > - Fastest GRAM memory.

    The latter is only important if You want to overclock, if not the card is
    not faster than any other 6600GT. But I find it quite useless to buy a Dell
    Precision and then do some overclocking trials...

    Most XFX I've seen and read some competent(!) reviews about say that they
    have a really bad analog signal quality. If You have a CRT You probably want
    something better...

    Benjamin
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > I will write a note with impressions in couple of hours as soon as I
    > have the XFX 6600GT installed :-P~~~ hopefully the bloody media-markt
    > (only shop that has it right now) won't run out of stock ...

    I don't know in what country You live but in Germany Mediamarkt is the last
    place You want to buy computer hardware... ;-)

    Benjamin
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote
    > Most XFX I've seen and read some competent(!) reviews about say that they
    > have a really bad analog signal quality. If You have a CRT You probably
    > want something better...

    I have FP 20'' :-> almost get two of them by DELL's mistake ...
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > But I find it quite useless to buy a Dell Precision and then do some
    > overclocking trials...

    What do you mean? I wanted to have my Workstation system
    for Oracle & Java development (stability, reliability and all the *bility)
    but the Graphic card for having fun afterwards :-)

    I am happy with overclocking the graphic card ... ok have to
    go off uninstall the bloody AT V3100 and get the new babe
    inside :-)

    Best Regards,
    Giovanni
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have a XFX running in one of my rigs, and I must say I´m very impressed by
    it. Sure, the fan is a bugger, even if I had the second edition of it.
    Replaced it with a Zalman. But the quality of the DVI is excellent, and the
    power is there if you need it.

    Good luck with yours!!
    C.

    "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Ok I made my mind already, going for the XFX 6600GT!
    >
    > I can not spend my half life deciding :-) ...
    >
    > Additionally is the only one I can find right now in
    > the shops here in Switzerland so ... what a hell
    > about selecting :-)
    >
    > Thanks to all for your great help!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni
    >
    > "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I have narrowed my decision to upgrade the Graphic
    >> Card of my Workstation to NVidia GeForce 6600 GT serie.
    >> Now I only don't know which of these two brands (best
    >> candidates I think) to get it from ...
    >>
    >> Please find bellow a "consolidated" specification, as
    >> I have been able to collect researching in internet from
    >> different shops and hardware reviews, please correct me
    >> if I am wrong but they look to have exactly the same
    >> properties ...
    >>
    >> - "ASUS Extreme PCI-E N6600GT/TD/128MB GDDR3"
    >>
    >> Specification:
    >>
    >> ASUS Extreme N6600GT/TD/128 GeForce 6600 GT
    >> 128MB GDDR3 DVI TV-Out PCI-Express Retail.
    >>
    >> Graphics Engine : GeForce 6600GT
    >> Video Memory : 128MB GDDR3
    >> Engine Clock : 500MHz
    >> Memory Clock : 1GHz
    >> RAMDAC : 400MHz
    >> Pixel Pipelines : 8
    >> Graphics Core : ?
    >> Memory Interface: 128-bit
    >> Max Resolution : 2048x1536
    >> Bus Standard : PCI-Express
    >> VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
    >> TV Output : S-Video and Composite
    >> DVI Output : DVI-I
    >> 2nd VGA Output : Yes
    >>
    >> - "XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 EXTREME GAMER EDITION"
    >>
    >> Specification:
    >>
    >> XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E DDR3 DUAL DVI & TV OUT
    >> EXTREME GAMER EDITION
    >>
    >> Model : GEFORCE 6600 GT
    >> Video Memory : 128MB DDR3
    >> Engine Clock : 500MHz
    >> Memory Clock : 1GHz
    >> RAMDACs : 400 MHz
    >> Pixel Pipelines : 8
    >> Graphics Core : 256-bit
    >> Memory Interface: 128-bit
    >> Max Resolution : 2048x1536
    >> Bus Standard : PCI-Express
    >> VGA Output : Standard 15-pin D-sub
    >> TV Output : S-Video and Composite
    >> DVI Output : DVI-I
    >> 2nd VGA Output : Yes
    >>
    >> Any ideas, comments, on these two, which one is the best ... ?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Giovanni

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >> But I find it quite useless to buy a Dell Precision and then do some
    >> overclocking trials...
    >>
    > What do you mean? I wanted to have my Workstation system
    > for Oracle & Java development (stability, reliability and all the
    > *bility) but the Graphic card for having fun afterwards :-)

    Well, from my work experience I know that doing "real" work on machines with
    hardware that's used outside its specification is generally a bad idea.
    Especially if You have to make money with the computer...

    For games it's usually ok...

    > I am happy with overclocking the graphic card

    If I were You I wouldn't. Even with the highest possible settings You for
    sure won't notice any real improvement at all. The GF6600GT GPU already gets
    very hot when running at it's specified clock rate. IMHO there are other
    cards where OC brings more benefit and where it's more worth it...

    Benjamin
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > I have FP 20'' :-> almost get two of them by DELL's mistake ...

    What one do You have? The Dell 2001FP or the 2005FPW? I have the latter, and
    it's really a great display...

    Benjamin
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
    > Giovanni Azua wrote:
    >
    >> I have FP 20'' :-> almost get two of them by DELL's mistake ...
    >
    > What one do You have? The Dell 2001FP or the 2005FPW? I have the latter,
    > and it's really a great display...

    I have Dell 2001FP, I was offered 2005FPW for the same money
    but I dont like the dimensions :-) I need it wide and large for coding :-)

    Regards,
    Giovanni

Nvidia Graphics