Too much range? Too much security?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 10, 2004 3:13:18 PM

I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the MN710
USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works like a champ.
BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for the more experienced
But first some background info:

When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router signal,
it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys which I assume
is another network in the neighborhood.

I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can handle 256
bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.

The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
"Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and fast.
Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network interfering with my
network?

Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a POOPIE (a
poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number of wireless
networks will increase as the year goes on all with the maximum power
possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new networks don't cause
me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY network behaves itself?

While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various security
settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what settings to use
for which situations, etc.

Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.

More about : range security

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:43:03 PM

JunkMonkey wrote:
> I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the
> MN710 USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works
> like a champ. BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for
> the more experienced But first some background info:
>
> When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router
> signal, it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys
> which I assume is another network in the neighborhood.
>
> I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can
> handle 256 bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.
>
> The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
> "Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and
> fast. Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network
> interfering with my network?
>
> Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a
> POOPIE (a poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number
> of wireless networks will increase as the year goes on all with the
> maximum power possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new
> networks don't cause me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY
> network behaves itself?
>
> While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various
> security settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what
> settings to use for which situations, etc.
>
> Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.

Change your network SSID (name). Do not broadcast SSID. Change the
default username and password on the router. Change the default IP
address range for your network. Change the WEP key from time to time.
Set the router to permit only the MAC addresses of your network
computers.

April 10, 2004 5:26:52 PM

Thanks, Quaor, I'm going to save your reply so I can refer to it as needed.

> JunkMonkey wrote:
> > I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the
> > MN710 USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works
> > like a champ. BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for
> > the more experienced But first some background info:
> >
> > When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router
> > signal, it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys
> > which I assume is another network in the neighborhood.
> >
> > I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can
> > handle 256 bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.
> >
> > The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
> > "Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and
> > fast. Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network
> > interfering with my network?
> >
> > Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a
> > POOPIE (a poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number
> > of wireless networks will increase as the year goes on all with the
> > maximum power possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new
> > networks don't cause me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY
> > network behaves itself?
> >
> > While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various
> > security settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what
> > settings to use for which situations, etc.
> >
> > Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.
>
> Change your network SSID (name). Do not broadcast SSID. Change the
> default username and password on the router. Change the default IP
> address range for your network. Change the WEP key from time to time.
> Set the router to permit only the MAC addresses of your network
> computers.

April 10, 2004 5:55:04 PM

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:13:18 -0500, "JunkMonkey" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the MN710
>USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works like a champ.
>BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for the more experienced
>But first some background info:
>
>When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router signal,
>it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys which I assume
>is another network in the neighborhood.
>
>I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can handle 256
>bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.
>
>The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
>"Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and fast.
>Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network interfering with my
>network?
>
>Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a POOPIE (a
>poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number of wireless
>networks will increase as the year goes on all with the maximum power
>possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new networks don't cause
>me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY network behaves itself?
>
>While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various security
>settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what settings to use
>for which situations, etc.
>
>Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.

Enable WEP / WPA. Use non-trivial (non-guessable) values for each. (No "My dog
has fleas"). Change keys whenever possible.
Enable MAC filtering.
Disable DHCP, and assign an address to each computer manually.
Change the subnet of your LAN - don't use the default.
Change the router management password, and disable remote (WAN) management.
Don't disable SSID broadcast - some configurations require the SSID broadcast.
But change the SSID itself - to something that doesn't identify you, or the
equipment.
Enable the router activity log. Examine it regularly. Know what each
connection listed represents - you? a neighbor?.
Install a software firewall on every computer connected to a wireless LAN. Put
manually assigned ip addresses in the Local (highly trusted) Zone. Open the
following ports for file sharing only in the Local Zone: TCP 139, 445; UDP 137,
138, 445.
Use non-trivial accounts and passwords on every computer connected to a wireless
LAN. Disable or delete Guest userid. Rename Administrator, to a non-trivial
value, and give it a non-trivial password. Never use the Administrator renamed
account for day to day activities, only when intentionally doing administrative
tasks.
Stay educated - know what the threats are. Newsgroups alt.internet.wireless and
microsoft.public.windows.networking,wireless are good places to start.

Can you turn the antennas on the router and the wireless cards? WiFi signal has
a vertical polarisation. Make sure all antennas are pointed vertical if
possible.

Try another channel and see if you can get greater separation from the Linksys.
If you're on 1, try 11, if 11 try 1; if you're on a middle channel try 1 then
11. See if the Linksys signal gets stronger or weaker.

And please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining viruses.
Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer when
posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet - never
post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck
April 10, 2004 8:13:49 PM

change the network channel as well. my belkin 802.11G has a thing in the
manual about this how you want to be at least 5 channels away from any other
network. most are channel 11 by default the manual says, so you'd need to be
on channel 6 or lower it tells me.

> JunkMonkey wrote:
> > I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the
> > MN710 USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works
> > like a champ. BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for
> > the more experienced But first some background info:
> >
> > When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router
> > signal, it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys
> > which I assume is another network in the neighborhood.
> >
> > I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can
> > handle 256 bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.
> >
> > The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
> > "Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and
> > fast. Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network
> > interfering with my network?
> >
> > Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a
> > POOPIE (a poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number
> > of wireless networks will increase as the year goes on all with the
> > maximum power possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new
> > networks don't cause me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY
> > network behaves itself?
> >
> > While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various
> > security settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what
> > settings to use for which situations, etc.
> >
> > Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.
>
> Change your network SSID (name). Do not broadcast SSID. Change the
> default username and password on the router. Change the default IP
> address range for your network. Change the WEP key from time to time.
> Set the router to permit only the MAC addresses of your network
> computers.

April 10, 2004 8:14:50 PM

i would disable SSID in all cases for everyone in the world unless they want
people to see them.

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> possible.
>
> Try another channel and see if you can get greater separation from the
Linksys.
> If you're on 1, try 11, if 11 try 1; if you're on a middle channel try 1
then
> 11. See if the Linksys signal gets stronger or weaker.
>
> And please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining viruses.
> Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer
when
> posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet -
never
> post your address unmunged.
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
April 10, 2004 11:05:09 PM

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:14:50 -0700, "msi" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>i would disable SSID in all cases for everyone in the world unless they want
>people to see them.

Of the following 4 security precautions, IMHO disabling SSID broadcast is the
least effective:
1) Enable WEP / WPA. Use non-trivial (non-guessable) values for each. (No "My
dog has fleas"). Change keys whenever possible.
2) Enable MAC filtering.
3) Disable DHCP, and assign an address to each computer manually. Install a
personal firewall on each computer connected to the router.
4) Disable SSID broadcast.

Anybody with the ability to crack WEP / WPA can find your SSID, whether or not
you broadcast it as beacon frames.

Additionally, disabling SSID broadcast interferes with WZC.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811427

And please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining viruses.
Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer when
posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet - never
post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck
April 13, 2004 1:04:10 AM

In article <uLd68F1HEHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote:
>change the network channel as well. my belkin 802.11G has a thing in the
>manual about this how you want to be at least 5 channels away from any other
>network. most are channel 11 by default the manual says, so you'd need to be
>on channel 6 or lower it tells me.

In theory channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap. When in doubt go try 11,
then jump to 1, in a pinch try 6 (in that order).

>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
>> JunkMonkey wrote:
>> > I just installed the Microsoft MN700 Wireless Base Station and the
>> > MN710 USB2.0 adapter. And everything was easy to set up and works
>> > like a champ. BUT I'm a bit worried and have several questions for
>> > the more experienced But first some background info:
>> >
>> > When the 710 came up, the first time it went looking for the router
>> > signal, it found MSHome (apparently mine) and another called Linksys
>> > which I assume is another network in the neighborhood.
>> >
>> > I set up 128 bit encryption because of this, The basestation can
>> > handle 256 bit, but the USB adapter can only handle 128.
>> >
>> > The Linksys is rated as a "Very Weak" signal, while MSHome is rated as
>> > "Weak" but the MSHome signal is plenty strong to work just fine and
>> > fast. Just how concerned should I be with the Linksys network
>> > interfering with my network?
>> >
>> > Also, this is a rather new neighborhood full of Yuppies, and me, a
>> > POOPIE (a poor OLD urban professional) , I can only assume the number
>> > of wireless networks will increase as the year goes on all with the
>> > maximum power possible. What do I need to do to make sure that new
>> > networks don't cause me problems, and what can I do to make sure MY
>> > network behaves itself?
>> >
>> > While the Microsoft manuals give some explanation of the various
>> > security settings, it's kind of light in the advice department, what
>> > settings to use for which situations, etc.
>> >
>> > Any advice or comments welcomed, thanks.
>>
>> Change your network SSID (name). Do not broadcast SSID. Change the
>> default username and password on the router. Change the default IP
>> address range for your network. Change the WEP key from time to time.
>> Set the router to permit only the MAC addresses of your network
>> computers.

April 13, 2004 1:05:48 AM

In article <ujC1gG1HEHA.3748@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote:
>i would disable SSID in all cases for everyone in the world unless they want
>people to see them.

Imagine you are in a dark room, someone turns on an LED, later someone
turns on a 50 Watt light bulb, can you still see the LED? If you turn on a
radio transmitter, turning off SSID is like the LED in the dark room, still
clearly visible to the naked eye.

!