Have just built a new system with a GeFORCE4 MX440-8X. Everything runs fine
till i get past post and i'm asked to start Windows in either safe mode or
normal. Selecting either causes the coputer to restart itself. This goes on
indefinitly.

I belive it might have something to do with the graphics card. I've
installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but this hasnt helped.

Any advice?

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did the hard drive already have Windows on the hard when you built the
system. If you did this then you will have to reload windows again and
format the hard drive. Chip sets are different and you will have to start
over. If that is not the case then you can try to do a repair if it is XP.
I have never used the repair option when loading windows but I have heard of
people doing this.

Homer

"Dave Nicholson" <dave.nicholson81@virgin.com> wrote in message
> Have just built a new system with a GeFORCE4 MX440-8X. Everything runs
> fine
> till i get past post and i'm asked to start Windows in either safe mode or
> normal. Selecting either causes the coputer to restart itself. This goes
> on
> indefinitly.
>
> I belive it might have something to do with the graphics card. I've
> installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but this hasnt helped.
>
> Any advice?

With that older video card, which is NOT stable with the newer NVidia
drivers, you should be using the 45.23 driver for stability.

--
DaveW

"Dave Nicholson" <dave.nicholson81@virgin.com> wrote in message
> Have just built a new system with a GeFORCE4 MX440-8X. Everything runs
> fine
> till i get past post and i'm asked to start Windows in either safe mode or
> normal. Selecting either causes the coputer to restart itself. This goes
> on
> indefinitly.
>
> I belive it might have something to do with the graphics card. I've
> installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but this hasnt helped.
>
> Any advice?

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After you format it the system will work fine. I redue and build systems all
the time.

Homer

"Dave Nicholson" <dave.nicholson81@virgin.com> wrote in message
> Have just built a new system with a GeFORCE4 MX440-8X. Everything runs
> fine
> till i get past post and i'm asked to start Windows in either safe mode or
> normal. Selecting either causes the coputer to restart itself. This goes
> on
> indefinitly.
>
> I belive it might have something to do with the graphics card. I've
> installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but this hasnt helped.
>
> Any advice?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

DaveW,

I know you have this canned response for anybody posting about a problem
with a GF4 or earlier. But you should have known it was not a video driver
issue due to the fact that not even safe mode works. Safe mode does not
load the Nvidia driver but instead loads a failsafe svga driver.

DaveL

> With that older video card, which is NOT stable with the newer NVidia
> drivers, you should be using the 45.23 driver for stability.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Dave Nicholson" <dave.nicholson81@virgin.com> wrote in message
>> Have just built a new system with a GeFORCE4 MX440-8X. Everything runs
>> fine
>> till i get past post and i'm asked to start Windows in either safe mode
>> or
>> normal. Selecting either causes the coputer to restart itself. This goes
>> on
>> indefinitly.
>>
>> I belive it might have something to do with the graphics card. I've
>> installed the latest NVIDIA drivers but this hasnt helped.
>>
>> Any advice?

Yes. The harddrive was from an old computer of mine with Windows XP already
installed. I take it i'll have to try a fresh install then?