XFX 6600 GT final impression ... sending it back!

Hi,

Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.

GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...

The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
now but this graphic card YES.

Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...

Regards,
Giovanni

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

There are two versions of the XFX heatsink. One with a picture on it and
the newer chrome version. Which one did you get?

DaveL

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>
> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>
> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
> now but this graphic card YES.
>
> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>
> Regards,
> Giovanni

master

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

I have put a resistor on the fan, now my XFX is the quietest ever and my
load temp is 89.

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>
> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>
> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
> now but this graphic card YES.
>
> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>
> Regards,
> Giovanni

> Who sells Galaxy cards in the USA?

I don't think anyone does. It's a pity, too, because it seems they do make
the best 6600GT AGP.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:24:57 -0000, "MaSTeR" <sorry@nospam.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have put a resistor on the fan, now my XFX is the quietest ever and my
>load temp is 89.

How did you measure it ?

Peak is likely to be much higher than this measurement. Any sustained
temperatures above 75 degrees C WILL shorten the life of the GPU
silicon. Rough rule of thumb -- half the life for every 10 degree C
rise in temp above 75 degres C....assuming zero initial
defect-density.

John Lewis

>"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>>
>> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
>> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
>> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
>> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>>
>> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
>> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
>> now but this graphic card YES.
>>
>> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
>> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Giovanni

Hello Dave,

Good remark! I got the one with the stupid picture on it ...

I also read somewhere in the package it was delivered
something like august 2004 so if there were two versions
I was almost sure this had to be the old one ...

The thing is that this is not US, you get things here months
later, I am still waiting to see the 6800 Ultra available
somewhere. The hardware shops promisse it to you
and deliver it months later.

Best Regards,
Giovanni

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There are two versions of the XFX heatsink. One with a picture on it and
> the newer chrome version. Which one did you get?
>
> DaveL
>

> "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>>
>> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
>> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
>> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
>> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>>
>> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
>> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
>> now but this graphic card YES.
>>
>> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
>> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Giovanni

Hi Benjamin,

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
> It's not that You have been warned before ;-)

:) I always have to hit the wall with my own head ... as we
say in spanish :)

Anyway this time the returning back was straightforward. After
recovering the cash went to "Steg Computer" shop http://www.stegcomputer.ch/
and they had available the ASUS GeForce 6600 GT but then I
wanted to research a bit more before getting it. The guy who
attended me appeared quite knowledgeable, I explained what
I wanted and he insisted soooo much that the ATIs are faster, quieter
and cooler than NVidia ... might be he gets a commission from ATI ...
anyway.

So basically I have only two choices available in mean in stock ...
unless I wait longer of course:

- ASUS GeForce 6600 GT, 128, GDDR3

- ASUS Radeon 700Pro ,256MB, PCX, GDDR3, TV-Out, DVI
Graphics Processor ATI Radeon X700PRO
Memory Configuration 256MB DDR3
Memory Clock 860MHz DDR3
RAMDAC 400MHz
Pixel pipelines ... have to find out.

They both the same price nearly BUT the ATI one doubles the GRAM
which is extremelly appealing ...

I can even get cheaper the same ATI version from Excalibur brand
but don't know how good this one is ...any ideas?

Best Regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni Azua wrote:

> :) I always have to hit the wall with my own head ... as we
> say in spanish :)
>
> Anyway this time the returning back was straightforward. After
> recovering the cash went to "Steg Computer" shop
> http://www.stegcomputer.ch/ and they had available the ASUS GeForce
> 6600 GT but then I wanted to research a bit more before getting it. The
> guy who
> attended me appeared quite knowledgeable, I explained what
> I wanted and he insisted soooo much that the ATIs are faster, quieter
> and cooler than NVidia

Well, if he insists sooo much that ATI is sooo much better than his
"knowledge" is quite questionable...

>... might be he gets a commission from ATI ...
> anyway.
>
> So basically I have only two choices available in mean in stock ...
> unless I wait longer of course:
>
> - ASUS GeForce 6600 GT, 128, GDDR3
>
> - ASUS Radeon 700Pro ,256MB, PCX, GDDR3, TV-Out, DVI
> Graphics Processor ATI Radeon X700PRO
> Memory Configuration 256MB DDR3
> Memory Clock 860MHz DDR3
> RAMDAC 400MHz
> Pixel pipelines ... have to find out.
>
> They both the same price nearly BUT the ATI one doubles the GRAM
> which is extremelly appealing ...

Sure. But then, the 6600GT has faster memory, and You won't have that much
benefit from 256MB anyway (texture swapping is much faster on PCIe systems
than it was on AGP machines)...

> I can even get cheaper the same ATI version from Excalibur brand
> but don't know how good this one is ...any ideas?

Get what You want. But be aware that since You wrote You want Linux that in
this case ATI simply is nothing for You, maybe Your Computer Shop guy did
"forget" that.

As we already told You if You just want a gaming card then either ATI or
Nvidia is fine, and in this case the card manufacturer is much more
important than which GPU that's on the card...

Benjamin

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>
> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>
> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
> now but this graphic card YES.
>
> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>
> Regards,
> Giovanni

Try an eVGA.

I've got the XFX 6600 GT, and I think it's wonderful. My entire new system
is quieter than the last, and it's great. Using nTune to overclock the
video, currently at 510/1100. Running Athlon 64 3000+ and 1GB Dual Channel
SDRAM, getting 82.8 FPS in DOOM3 timedemo demo1.

I looked at all of the 6600 GT cards available at Newegg.com, and this one
had the best game suite available for <$200. It came with Commandos3 (so,
so) X2 the Threat (Seems to have great graphics), and MotoGP2 (much better
than Xbox version). I'm much happier than Giovanni seems to be.

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Second day with XFX 6600 GT horrible experience.
>
> GPU peaks gaming (quite quickly) at 105C!! lagging like
> crazy then get lot of screwed output all the time (clearly
> at this temperature!!!) idle at 56C ambient temperature
> reported from the nVidia temperature monitor 42C ...
>
> The cooler of this little piece of GC is noisier than the
> piano of my neighbor ... I can not change neighbor right
> now but this graphic card YES.
>
> Ok I have plenty of time to find out which one I will buy
> instead but this piece goes back tomorrow ...
>
> Regards,
> Giovanni

Hi Rich and Melissa,

"Rich and Melissa" <mastanfield@snet.net> wrote:
> I've got the XFX 6600 GT, and I think it's wonderful. My entire new
> system is quieter than the last, and it's great. Using nTune to overclock
> the video, currently at 510/1100. Running Athlon 64 3000+ and 1GB Dual
> Channel SDRAM, getting 82.8 FPS in DOOM3 timedemo demo1.

.. Could you please post the idle and load temperatures?
.. Did you modify the card in any way i.e. changed the fan?
or added additional cooler?
.. Did you get the XFX with the picture on it? otherwise you probably
got the "updated version", because the original is a pain ...

I ask you because the first day my card performed ok then second day it
was almost burning itself without overclocking ... and it was extremelly
loud.

> I looked at all of the 6600 GT cards available at Newegg.com, and this one
> had the best game suite available for <$200. It came with Commandos3 (so,
> so) X2 the Threat (Seems to have great graphics), and MotoGP2 (much better
> than Xbox version). I'm much happier than Giovanni seems to be.

If I had few REALLY close options performance and quality-wise graphic
cards THEN I would look to the bundle but I would never buy a graphic
card only because of its bundle. I bet those games you can get very cheaply
everywhere.

Best Regards,
Giovanni