Doom 3 Problems

I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz and
1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I have
a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would be
appreciated.

Robin
14 answers Last reply
More about doom problems

    What resolution? Can you set it to 800x600 or even 640x480? My old system
    with a ti4200, which is faster than your 5200, can only play it decently at
    800x600. My newer system with a 9600XT barely plays it at 1024x768.

    DaveL

    "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    >and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    >video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    >have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
    >would be appreciated.
    >
    > Robin

    Also, what version video driver are you using? The later versions 6x.xx and
    up are better for Doom3.

    DaveL

    Robin O'Connor wrote:
    > I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz and
    > 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    > video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I have
    > a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Robin

    It'll be that 1Mb of RAM that's holding you back :0)

    Seriously though isnt that spec below the requirements for Doom 3? What
    do you mean by "the game scrolls"? Do you mean you get a *very* low
    framerate? Sounds about right i'm afraid.

    Sandi

    Sorry. It has 1GB of system RAM.

    "Sandi Luney" <sandi@happylobster.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Robin O'Connor wrote:
    >> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    >> and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the
    >> lowest video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the
    >> software. I have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same
    >> thing. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Robin
    >
    > It'll be that 1Mb of RAM that's holding you back :0)
    >
    > Seriously though isnt that spec below the requirements for Doom 3? What do
    > you mean by "the game scrolls"? Do you mean you get a *very* low
    > framerate? Sounds about right i'm afraid.
    >
    > Sandi

    The FX Go 5200 is a VERY SLOW and low powered video card, and was never
    intended to display the more graphics intensive modern games. To play those
    on a laptop would have required a major investment of money to a much faster
    system.

    --
    DaveW

    "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    >and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    >video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    >have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
    >would be appreciated.
    >
    > Robin

    "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    >and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    >video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    >have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
    >would be appreciated.

    This review should be explanation enough. It benches at 6500 in 3DMark01 on
    a 3.06Ghz P4. My old Geforce2GTS did this on a Barton 2500. That's why it's
    a slide show.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8836

    > This review should be explanation enough. It benches at 6500 in 3DMark01
    > on a 3.06Ghz P4. My old Geforce2GTS did this on a Barton 2500. That's why
    > it's a slide show.
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8836

    And it got a screaming 871 in 3DMark03, which is a DX9 bench. 'Nuff said.

    Try running at 640x480. and set all the eye candy to low. Sorry,but your
    video card just isn't up to it.
    "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    and
    > 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    > video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    have
    > a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
    be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Robin

    Thanks. I was just trying out my older machines to see if they would still
    play it. I have a new machine that I just put together. And I have one
    last question. Ran my current machine with the TIME DEMO on Doom 3....I got
    the FPS to about 68FPS. Can someone please let me in on what is the OPTIMUM
    setting for the NVDIA settings to get doom to run at its best. Here are my
    specs for my machine.

    3.2GHz P4 LGA 775
    2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
    ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe MOBO
    MSI 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express
    Windows XP Home installed on a 74GB WD Raptor

    Thanks for all your help.

    Robin

    dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Try running at 640x480. and set all the eye candy to low. Sorry,but your
    > video card just isn't up to it.
    > "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    > and
    >> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    >> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    > have
    >> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
    > be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Robin

    its your graphics card. D3 requires newer generation cards to perform how it
    was meant to.

    Blaedmon wrote:
    > its your graphics card. D3 requires newer generation cards to perform how it
    > was meant to.
    >
    > "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    >
    > and
    >
    >>1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    >>video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    >
    > have
    >
    >>a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
    >
    > be
    >
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Robin

    That's odd, I have a sempron 2400+, 512mb ram, and a gf4 440, and it
    runs just fine on low res with aa and af off... getting 25+ fps.
    Try turning off aa and af in control panel, and in the game. Also set
    the detail level low-medium, and if possible, set your agp aperture to
    64mb or 128mb, the 64mb vram may be holding it back.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Doom3 on a P4-2.8Gz, gig ram using a TI4800SE and Doom3 runs 1280x1024 all
    eye candy on no problems here.

    Mind you, I'm assuming the 5200 is supposedly a better faster card.

    > The FX Go 5200 is a VERY SLOW and low powered video card, and was never
    > intended to display the more graphics intensive modern games. To play
    those
    > on a laptop would have required a major investment of money to a much
    faster
    > system.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    > >and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the
    lowest
    > >video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    > >have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
    > >would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Robin

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Doom3 on a P4-2.8Gz, gig ram using a TI4800SE and Doom3 runs 1280x1024
    > all eye candy on no problems here.
    >
    > Mind you, I'm assuming the 5200 is supposedly a better faster card.

    It's not. It's much, much slower.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The video chipset is too slow. Can you set the game below the laptop's
    native resolution (to, say 640x480)?

    "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
    and
    > 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
    > video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
    have
    > a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
    be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Robin

Nvidia Graphics