Doom 3 Problems

I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz and
1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I have
a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would be
appreciated.

Robin

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

What resolution? Can you set it to 800x600 or even 640x480? My old system
with a ti4200, which is faster than your 5200, can only play it decently at
800x600. My newer system with a 9600XT barely plays it at 1024x768.

DaveL

"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
>and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
>video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
>have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
>would be appreciated.
>
> Robin

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Also, what version video driver are you using? The later versions 6x.xx and
up are better for Doom3.

DaveL

Robin O'Connor wrote:
> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz and
> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I have
> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Robin

It'll be that 1Mb of RAM that's holding you back :0)

Seriously though isnt that spec below the requirements for Doom 3? What
do you mean by "the game scrolls"? Do you mean you get a *very* low
framerate? Sounds about right i'm afraid.

Sandi

Sorry. It has 1GB of system RAM.

"Sandi Luney" <sandi@happylobster.co.uk> wrote in message
> Robin O'Connor wrote:
>> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
>> and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the
>> lowest video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the
>> software. I have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same
>> thing. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Robin
>
> It'll be that 1Mb of RAM that's holding you back :0)
>
> Seriously though isnt that spec below the requirements for Doom 3? What do
> you mean by "the game scrolls"? Do you mean you get a *very* low
> framerate? Sounds about right i'm afraid.
>
> Sandi

The FX Go 5200 is a VERY SLOW and low powered video card, and was never
intended to display the more graphics intensive modern games. To play those
on a laptop would have required a major investment of money to a much faster
system.

--
DaveW

"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
>and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
>video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
>have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
>would be appreciated.
>
> Robin

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
>and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
>video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
>have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
>would be appreciated.

This review should be explanation enough. It benches at 6500 in 3DMark01 on
a 3.06Ghz P4. My old Geforce2GTS did this on a Barton 2500. That's why it's
a slide show.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8836

Try running at 640x480. and set all the eye candy to low. Sorry,but your
video card just isn't up to it.
"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
and
> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
have
> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
be
> appreciated.
>
> Robin

Thanks. I was just trying out my older machines to see if they would still
play it. I have a new machine that I just put together. And I have one
last question. Ran my current machine with the TIME DEMO on Doom 3....I got
the FPS to about 68FPS. Can someone please let me in on what is the OPTIMUM
setting for the NVDIA settings to get doom to run at its best. Here are my
specs for my machine.

3.2GHz P4 LGA 775
2GB Kingston DDR2 PC-4200
ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe MOBO
MSI 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express
Windows XP Home installed on a 74GB WD Raptor

Thanks for all your help.

Robin

dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Try running at 640x480. and set all the eye candy to low. Sorry,but your
> video card just isn't up to it.
> "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
> and
>> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
>> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
> have
>> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
> be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Robin

its your graphics card. D3 requires newer generation cards to perform how it
was meant to.

"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
and
> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
have
> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
be
> appreciated.
>
> Robin

Chachi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

Blaedmon wrote:
> its your graphics card. D3 requires newer generation cards to perform how it
> was meant to.
>
> "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
>
> and
>
>>1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
>>video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
>
> have
>
>>a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
>
> be
>
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Robin

That's odd, I have a sempron 2400+, 512mb ram, and a gf4 440, and it
runs just fine on low res with aa and af off... getting 25+ fps.
Try turning off aa and af in control panel, and in the game. Also set
the detail level low-medium, and if possible, set your agp aperture to
64mb or 128mb, the 64mb vram may be holding it back.

Doom3 on a P4-2.8Gz, gig ram using a TI4800SE and Doom3 runs 1280x1024 all
eye candy on no problems here.

Mind you, I'm assuming the 5200 is supposedly a better faster card.

> The FX Go 5200 is a VERY SLOW and low powered video card, and was never
> intended to display the more graphics intensive modern games. To play
those
> on a laptop would have required a major investment of money to a much
faster
> system.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
> >and 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the
lowest
> >video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
> >have a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help
> >would be appreciated.
> >
> > Robin

> Doom3 on a P4-2.8Gz, gig ram using a TI4800SE and Doom3 runs 1280x1024
> all eye candy on no problems here.
>
> Mind you, I'm assuming the 5200 is supposedly a better faster card.

It's not. It's much, much slower.

The video chipset is too slow. Can you set the game below the laptop's
native resolution (to, say 640x480)?

"Robin O'Connor" <robinsonNO75Spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an GeForce FX Go 5200 (on a Laptop) with 64MB of memory on a 3GHz
and
> 1MB of RAM but the game scrolls and I cannot play it even on the lowest
> video settings. I am not sure if there is a patch for the software. I
have
> a similar system on a desktop but it does the same thing. Any help would
be
> appreciated.
>
> Robin

Latest posts