Low Resolution on 21in LCD

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hi,

I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
following.

I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
screen.

I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
unclear especially for the text.

Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
1600x1200 to a
1024 x 768?
Does anyone knows any way arround it?
Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
or the refresh rate?

Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
text?

Many thanks

George

George wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
> following.
>
> I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
> that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
> This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
> Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
> screen.
>
> I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
> which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
> If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
> unclear especially for the text.
>
> Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
> 1600x1200 to a
> 1024 x 768?
> Does anyone knows any way arround it?
> Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
> or the refresh rate?
>
> Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
> computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
> text?
>

> Many thanks
>

> George
On a 1600x1200 screen you should be able to do 800x600 without any
problems I think, because 1600x1200 is an exact multiple of da
dimensions of 1600x1200 (800x2, 600x2), whereas 1024x768 and 1280x1024
aren't.

Sorry, but you are out of luck. ALL MANUFACTURERS of 21" LCD's use a native
resolution of 1600 x 1200. And the image would be VERY poor if you tried to
interpolate any of them down to a low resolution like 1280 x 768. You sound
like you require a 21" CRT monitor.

--
DaveW

"George" <grg_smt@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
> following.
>
> I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
> that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
> This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
> Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
> screen.
>
> I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
> which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
> If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
> unclear especially for the text.
>
> Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
> 1600x1200 to a
> 1024 x 768?
> Does anyone knows any way arround it?
> Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
> or the refresh rate?
>
> Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
> computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
> text?
>

> Many thanks
>

> George

rene

"George" <grg_smt@gmx.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>

> I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
> following.
>
> I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
> that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
> This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
> Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
> screen.
>
> I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
> which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
> If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
> unclear especially for the text.
>
> Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
> 1600x1200 to a
> 1024 x 768?
> Does anyone knows any way arround it?
> Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
> or the refresh rate?
>
> Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
> computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
> text?

For Your purpose, You don't need to use low resolution, but just use large
fonts. If You use Windows, You can choose that. Probably in Linux You can do
it as well, but I have no idea about that. In other words, don't adjust the
display, but adjust what is displayed by Your computer. And watch that, i.e.
those large fonts, in high resolution.

Greetings,
Rene

> For Your purpose, You don't need to use low resolution, but just use
> large fonts. If You use Windows, You can choose that. Probably in

I set up a friend's PC like this. While it is much better than trying to
use a lower resolution and having the panel interpolate, it still doesn't
look as good as it would if the panel just had a lower native resolution.

Large fonts, does make the text more readable, but either the icons,
bitmaps are not enlarged making them seem small, or worse, they are
enlarged just like they would be at an interpolated resolution.

I am currently using an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT card with a 20.1 in. LCD.

With the latest driver under Windows XP you can choose what type of scaling
you want to use in the Digital Flat Panel Settings window through the
Display Properties > Advanced > GeForce 6800 GT driver extensions.

When using lower than native resolution, i.e. less than 1600x1200, using
"Display adapter scaling" provides the best results because antialiasing
will be applied by the video card. The graphics are not pixelated and the
text is definitely readable.

When "Monitor scaling" is used the graphics become pixelated (blocky) and
the text has jagged edges. This is because the LCD panel does not perform
antialiasing when it rescales an image.

"George" <grg_smt@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
> following.
>
> I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
> that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
> This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
> Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
> screen.
>
> I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
> which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
> If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
> unclear especially for the text.
>
> Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
> 1600x1200 to a
> 1024 x 768?
> Does anyone knows any way arround it?
> Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
> or the refresh rate?
>
> Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
> computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
> text?
>

> Many thanks
>

> George

Vic

Hi George
Maybe you should look into , LCD TV Monitors ,
they are mainly 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 768 depending
on their size 17 in to 26 in or even larger.
You'll find many of this come with DVI and RGB inputs also
Cheers
Vic

George wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would be grateful if you could give me some information on the
> following.
>
> I am trying to find an LCD that can work fine on low resolution, so
> that the text displayed is large and is easy to read.
> This is to facilitate long hours of reading.
> Mainly I am looking for something around a 1024 x 768 on a 21in LCD
> screen.
>
> I know that all LCDs work better on a certain resolution (native)
> which is usually higher than 1024 x 768 for a 21in LCD.
> If someone lowers the resolution from the native, then the screen gets
> unclear especially for the text.
>
> Has anyone found a way to lower the resolution from a native say
> 1600x1200 to a
> 1024 x 768?
> Does anyone knows any way arround it?
> Could that be done by electronicaly adjusting the size of the screen
> or the refresh rate?
>
> Alternatively is there any other technology on flat screens for
> computers that can give big size screen, low resolution and clear
> text?

If you can afford 500 bucks for a bulb every 1000-2000 hours of operation (8
hours a day 5 days a week that's once or twice a year) you might look into
a projector--typically they're 1024x768 and the image size is whatever you
want it to be.

However, contrary to what the CRT bigots will tell you, a 1600x1200 LCD is
quite usable at 1280x1024 or 1024x768. It's not as sharp as at its design
resolution, but a 21" Samsung is at least as sharp as my 19" Hitachi CRT at
those resolutions.

Or of course you could just go with a CRT. Plenty of 21" shadow-mask models
for under $400--stay way from aperture-grille for text--I've seen worse
artifacting on those than on an LCD.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate