resolution problem

my windows machine has a win98se, nvidia Geforce 4 mx400. I just
recently purchased a 19" planar PL1910M lcd monitor. I am having
trouble setting the resolution on the windows machine. the resolution
was originally set for an old 17" viewsonic vg175 lcd monitor. the
screen goes black after reboot when the resolution is set at 1024X768.
I am trying to get it set at 1280X1024 resolution.

Maybe it's the refresh rate. St it to default.Try safe mode if you need to.
"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
message news:cvq1iv$jpp$1@news.datasync.com...
> my windows machine has a win98se, nvidia Geforce 4 mx400. I just
> recently purchased a 19" planar PL1910M lcd monitor. I am having
> trouble setting the resolution on the windows machine. the resolution
> was originally set for an old 17" viewsonic vg175 lcd monitor. the
> screen goes black after reboot when the resolution is set at 1024X768.
> I am trying to get it set at 1280X1024 resolution.

do you know which drivers are for the gf4mx420 at the nvidia site?

dawg wrote:

>Maybe it's the refresh rate. St it to default.Try safe mode if you need to.
>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
>message news:cvq1iv$jpp$1@news.datasync.com...
>

>>my windows machine has a win98se, nvidia Geforce 4 mx400. I just
>>recently purchased a 19" planar PL1910M lcd monitor. I am having
>>trouble setting the resolution on the windows machine. the resolution
>>was originally set for an old 17" viewsonic vg175 lcd monitor. the
>>screen goes black after reboot when the resolution is set at 1024X768.
>>I am trying to get it set at 1280X1024 resolution.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to reset the resolution? Usually, that
will work fine.

"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
message news:cvt9g2$qf$1@news.datasync.com...
> do you know which drivers are for the gf4mx420 at the nvidia site?
>

> dawg wrote:
>
>>Maybe it's the refresh rate. St it to default.Try safe mode if you need
>>to.
>>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
>>message news:cvq1iv$jpp$1@news.datasync.com...
>>
>>>my windows machine has a win98se, nvidia Geforce 4 mx400. I just
>>>recently purchased a 19" planar PL1910M lcd monitor. I am having
>>>trouble setting the resolution on the windows machine. the resolution
>>>was originally set for an old 17" viewsonic vg175 lcd monitor. the
>>>screen goes black after reboot when the resolution is set at 1024X768.
>>>I am trying to get it set at 1280X1024 resolution.

how do you reset the resolution in safe mode?

stevem wrote:

>Have you tried going into Safe Mode to reset the resolution? Usually, that
>will work fine.
>
>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
>message news:cvt9g2$qf$1@news.datasync.com...
>

>>do you know which drivers are for the gf4mx420 at the nvidia site?
>>

>>dawg wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe it's the refresh rate. St it to default.Try safe mode if you need
>>>to.
>>>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
>>>message news:cvq1iv$jpp$1@news.datasync.com...

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

Exactly as you would in normal running, i.e right-click on an empty area on
the desk-top, select properties, then settings, then slide the slider to get
to 1280x1024, then apply. This is XP, but from memory 98SE is identical.
Best wishes
Steve

"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
message news:cvtj6t$4go$1@news.datasync.com...
> how do you reset the resolution in safe mode?
>
> stevem wrote:
>
>>Have you tried going into Safe Mode to reset the resolution? Usually, that
>>will work fine.
>>
>>"Dilbert Firestorm" <scanb_no_spam31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote in
>>message news:cvt9g2$qf$1@news.datasync.com...
>>
>>>do you know which drivers are for the gf4mx420 at the nvidia site?

well, it was a driver problem. what happened was that I failed to
remeove the old nvidia drivers before installing the new one. that
screwed thing up.

it is fixed now.

thanx anyway for your help.