3d graphics not displayed or white on gf4mx440, dx9c nv66.93

DutchBoy

Hi all,
Running WinXP Pro, Leadtech geforce4mx440, directx9.0c and nvidia 66.93
drivers. When attempting to play Age Of Mythology, 2d graphics (like the
menus and the action/tool bars appear ok, but 3d graphics (like the main
map) are white. I can see smoke animations though (for the town centers
etc.). Also, when attempting to play an old "Rally Masters" game, the race
track is invisible and large parts of the car are missing too.

rise of nations and kyodia (two other games I play) work fine.

This happened after I re-installed windows on my system recently. Have done
this plenty of time before without problems. Have re-installed winxp 4 times
since this happened (complete FDisk/format) and each time I get the same
problem.

Have tried to the following without success:
used the latest via-4-in-1 drivers as well as the older ones that came on
the original motherboard CD.
used various nvidia graphics drivers down to 45.xx
all directx versions (from 8.0 -> 9.0c) have this issue on my system.

Nothing is overclocked in my system and no hardware has been changed for
well over 2 years. Have tried an old geforce 2mx (original 4x agp card 32mb
ram) with same problems, but this card has no issues in another system. The
gf4mx440 has no problems in other systems either.

Also, when a fresh copy of XP is installed, running dxdiag tests will lock
up the system in when it attempts to display the 3d directx cube test.
Running a 3d screen saver will also lock up the system. Installing
directx9.0c fixes this, but nothing else will, not even graphics card driver
updates.
Have used both leadtech drivers and original nvidia drivers.

Haven't tried many other 3d games yet, but expect similar problems.

problem points to my m/b, but why would this trouble on appear in certain
games, and not others? All games are fully patched, but have also tried
unpatched installs of the games.

Sys specs:
========
Athlon 1GHz (200Mhz bus) - (Socket)
384 mb ram (3 * 128mb)
epox 8kta2 m/b (01/10/2001 bios). Not the latest, but haven't had problems
until now.
leadtech 4 channel sound card (cmedia chipset)
leadtech geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x graphics card (64mb) Cooled by heatsink, no
fan - low profile card. - running as agp 4x, and have tried 2x
lucent win modem
realtek network card

winxp pro - sp2. Have tried sp1 and original xp pro as well. Same problems
currently running latest nvidia drivers (66.93), all sp2 patches, media
player 10 & latest IE6

I'm out of ideas. what else can I try?

lostsoul

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

when you installed 4 an 1 drivers for motherboard did you tell it to install
the agp in turbo mode if so that may be it. reinstall driver 4 in 1 an
unistall turbo agp. an you will be happy. been there done that.
"DutchBoy" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:42212946$1@clear.net.nz...
> Hi all,
> Running WinXP Pro, Leadtech geforce4mx440, directx9.0c and nvidia 66.93
> drivers. When attempting to play Age Of Mythology, 2d graphics (like the
> menus and the action/tool bars appear ok, but 3d graphics (like the main
> map) are white. I can see smoke animations though (for the town centers
> etc.). Also, when attempting to play an old "Rally Masters" game, the race
> track is invisible and large parts of the car are missing too.
>
> rise of nations and kyodia (two other games I play) work fine.
>
> This happened after I re-installed windows on my system recently. Have
> done
> this plenty of time before without problems. Have re-installed winxp 4
> times
> since this happened (complete FDisk/format) and each time I get the same
> problem.
>
> Have tried to the following without success:
> used the latest via-4-in-1 drivers as well as the older ones that came on
> the original motherboard CD.
> used various nvidia graphics drivers down to 45.xx
> all directx versions (from 8.0 -> 9.0c) have this issue on my system.
>
> Nothing is overclocked in my system and no hardware has been changed for
> well over 2 years. Have tried an old geforce 2mx (original 4x agp card
> 32mb
> ram) with same problems, but this card has no issues in another system.
> The
> gf4mx440 has no problems in other systems either.
>
> Also, when a fresh copy of XP is installed, running dxdiag tests will lock
> up the system in when it attempts to display the 3d directx cube test.
> Running a 3d screen saver will also lock up the system. Installing
> directx9.0c fixes this, but nothing else will, not even graphics card
> driver
> updates.
> Have used both leadtech drivers and original nvidia drivers.
>
> Haven't tried many other 3d games yet, but expect similar problems.
>
> problem points to my m/b, but why would this trouble on appear in certain
> games, and not others? All games are fully patched, but have also tried
> unpatched installs of the games.
>

> Sys specs:
> ========
> Athlon 1GHz (200Mhz bus) - (Socket)
> 384 mb ram (3 * 128mb)
> epox 8kta2 m/b (01/10/2001 bios). Not the latest, but haven't had problems
> until now.
> leadtech 4 channel sound card (cmedia chipset)
> leadtech geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x graphics card (64mb) Cooled by heatsink,
> no
> fan - low profile card. - running as agp 4x, and have tried 2x
> lucent win modem
> realtek network card
>
> winxp pro - sp2. Have tried sp1 and original xp pro as well. Same problems
> currently running latest nvidia drivers (66.93), all sp2 patches, media
> player 10 & latest IE6
>

> I'm out of ideas. what else can I try?

With that older technology card, GF4, you should be using the 45.23 driver
for stability. The newer drivers are not stable with that older card.

--
DaveW

> [...]
> games, and not others? All games are fully patched, but have also tried
> unpatched installs of the games.
>

> Sys specs:
> ========
> Athlon 1GHz (200Mhz bus) - (Socket)
> 384 mb ram (3 * 128mb)
> epox 8kta2 m/b (01/10/2001 bios). Not the latest, but haven't had problems
> until now.
> leadtech 4 channel sound card (cmedia chipset)
> leadtech geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x graphics card (64mb) Cooled by heatsink,
> no
> fan - low profile card. - running as agp 4x, and have tried 2x
> lucent win modem
> realtek network card
>
> winxp pro - sp2. Have tried sp1 and original xp pro as well. Same problems
> currently running latest nvidia drivers (66.93), all sp2 patches, media

Thanks for the tip. I remember this option being available in previous
versions of the 4-in-1 drivers from via, but the latest two don't seem to
have it anymore. Only give the option to install or uninstall the AGP or IDE
bus mastering and that's it.

Seems odd though, as I've kept copies of all the drivers I was using
previously, and all at once something seems to have gone belly up.

"LostSoul" <snowball12@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > unpatched installs of the games.
> >

> > Sys specs:
> > ========
> > Athlon 1GHz (200Mhz bus) - (Socket)
> > 384 mb ram (3 * 128mb)
> > epox 8kta2 m/b (01/10/2001 bios). Not the latest, but haven't had
problems
> > until now.
> > leadtech 4 channel sound card (cmedia chipset)
> > leadtech geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x graphics card (64mb) Cooled by
heatsink,
> > no
> > fan - low profile card. - running as agp 4x, and have tried 2x
> > lucent win modem
> > realtek network card
> >
> > winxp pro - sp2. Have tried sp1 and original xp pro as well. Same
problems
> > currently running latest nvidia drivers (66.93), all sp2 patches, media

Yes uninstall agp then try youre game seriously.
"DutchBoy" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:42218e4b@clear.net.nz...
> [...]
>> > unpatched installs of the games.
>> >

>> > Sys specs:
>> > ========
>> > Athlon 1GHz (200Mhz bus) - (Socket)
>> > 384 mb ram (3 * 128mb)
>> > epox 8kta2 m/b (01/10/2001 bios). Not the latest, but haven't had
> problems
>> > until now.
>> > leadtech 4 channel sound card (cmedia chipset)
>> > leadtech geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x graphics card (64mb) Cooled by
> heatsink,
>> > no
>> > fan - low profile card. - running as agp 4x, and have tried 2x
>> > lucent win modem
>> > realtek network card
>> >
>> > winxp pro - sp2. Have tried sp1 and original xp pro as well. Same
> problems
>> > currently running latest nvidia drivers (66.93), all sp2 patches, media

Just for everyones info. My problem is fixed. Tried various drivers,
40.xx -> 66.93
The ones that worked were 53.03 - all the rest showed the same issues
(including the 40.xx)
Graphics card is a Leadtech A180 Geforce 4MX 440. Also tried the leadtech
drivers without luck and standard winxp, xpsp1 and xpsp2 drivers.

Cheers for your help all.

> Yes uninstall agp then try youre game seriously.
> "DutchBoy" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:42218e4b@clear.net.nz...
>> Thanks for the tip. I remember this option being available in previous
>> versions of the 4-in-1 drivers from via, but the latest two don't seem to
>> have it anymore. Only give the option to install or uninstall the AGP or
>> IDE
>> bus mastering and that's it.
>>
>> Seems odd though, as I've kept copies of all the drivers I was using
>> previously, and all at once something seems to have gone belly up.
>>

>> "LostSoul" <snowball12@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> when you installed 4 an 1 drivers for motherboard did you tell it to
>> install
>>> the agp in turbo mode if so that may be it. reinstall driver 4 in 1 an
>>> unistall turbo agp. an you will be happy. been there done that.
>>> "DutchBoy" <me@home.com> wrote in message
>> race

>> on

>> lock