Problem GeForce4 Ti 4600

A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
videocard.
For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I loose
control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced restart is
the only solution left.

The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and no
more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.

My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just fine
in his system (tested for at least one week).

The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor
starts blanking every now and then again.

It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system anymore.

The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were
installed during the time that my problem lasts on.

Does anyone have a clue, please?

Thanking you in advance,
George
17 answers Last reply
More about problem geforce4 4600

    With that older video card you should NOT be using the latest drivers, which
    are not stable with card's older technology. You should be fine if you use
    the older 45.23 driver with that card.

    --
    DaveW

    "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote in message
    >A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
    > Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
    > videocard.
    > For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    > monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I loose
    > control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced restart is the
    > only solution left.
    >
    > The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and no
    > more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.
    >
    > My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just fine
    > in his system (tested for at least one week).
    >
    > The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor starts
    > blanking every now and then again.
    >
    > It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system anymore.
    >
    > The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were installed
    > during the time that my problem lasts on.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue, please?
    >
    > Thanking you in advance,
    > George

    "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote in message
    > A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
    > Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
    > videocard.
    > For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    > monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I
    > loose control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced
    > restart is the only solution left.
    >
    > The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and
    > no more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.
    >
    > My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just
    > fine in his system (tested for at least one week).
    >
    > The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor
    > starts blanking every now and then again.
    >
    > It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system
    > anymore.
    > The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were
    > installed during the time that my problem lasts on.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue, please?
    >
    > Thanking you in advance,
    > George

    That could be the power supply in your Dell. If not the power supply
    itself, then one of the regulator IC's on the mobo that supply the
    AGP/PCI slots. The Ti4600 draws a good bit more current than the GF2
    cards.
    You might have a look at the power supply, see if the vents might be
    clogged with carpet lint or dust. If so, vacuum it!
    McG.

    DaveW wrote:
    > With that older video card you should NOT be using the latest drivers, which
    > are not stable with card's older technology. You should be fine if you use
    > the older 45.23 driver with that card.

    Dave, you inappropriate cock. That is NOT even remotely the answer.
    Stop spamming threads with your copy-paste.

    ....or your AGP port is beginning to faulter, which is more likely. I dont
    think theres any real remedy for this save for going PCI.

    > "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote in message
    > > A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
    > > Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
    > > videocard.
    > > For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    > > monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I
    > > loose control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced
    > > restart is the only solution left.
    > >
    > > The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and
    > > no more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.
    > >
    > > My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just
    > > fine in his system (tested for at least one week).
    > >
    > > The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor
    > > starts blanking every now and then again.
    > >
    > > It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system
    > > anymore.
    > > The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were
    > > installed during the time that my problem lasts on.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a clue, please?
    > >
    > > Thanking you in advance,
    > > George
    >
    > That could be the power supply in your Dell. If not the power supply
    > itself, then one of the regulator IC's on the mobo that supply the
    > AGP/PCI slots. The Ti4600 draws a good bit more current than the GF2
    > cards.
    > You might have a look at the power supply, see if the vents might be
    > clogged with carpet lint or dust. If so, vacuum it!
    > McG.

    "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote
    > For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    > monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I loose
    > control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced restart is the
    > only solution left.

    Hmmm... I encountered that kind of glitch when I enabled
    8xAF/4xAA for one game and played it for half an hour or so.
    Game just freezed and then monitor went into standby-mode,
    resetting PC seemed to be the only solution. Switched AF
    off and haven't done that blanking-thing again since.

    Perhaps overheating caused this, because my card is
    slightly OC'ed and AFAIK anisotropic filtering is quite
    stressing for the GPU... So perhaps this is the case with
    your video card also, can you tell us your mobo/case/room
    temperatures?

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote in message
    >> A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
    >> Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
    >> videocard.
    >> For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    >> monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I
    >> loose control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced
    >> restart is the only solution left.
    >>
    >> The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and
    >> no more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.
    >>
    >> My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just
    >> fine in his system (tested for at least one week).
    >>
    >> The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor
    >> starts blanking every now and then again.
    >>
    >> It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system
    >> anymore.
    >> The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were
    >> installed during the time that my problem lasts on.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a clue, please?
    >>
    >> Thanking you in advance,
    >> George
    >
    > That could be the power supply in your Dell. If not the power supply
    > itself, then one of the regulator IC's on the mobo that supply the AGP/PCI
    > slots.

    Not only the regulators, but also (and even more) the capacitors: they may
    be leaking and drying out (a regulator usually is broken or not, but not
    halfway broken).

    Rene

    "DaveW" <none@zero.org> schreef in bericht
    > With that older video card you should NOT be using the latest drivers,
    > which are not stable with card's older technology. You should be fine if
    > you use the older 45.23 driver with that card.

    With your level of knowledge you should NOT be replying to questions, which
    are totally unrelated to your replies. You should be fine if you just try to
    convince to pigeons in the park of the virtues of that older driver.

    Rene

    "Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> schreef in bericht
    >> With that older video card you should NOT be using the latest
    >> drivers, which are not stable with card's older technology. You
    >> should be fine if you use the older 45.23 driver with that card.
    >
    > With your level of knowledge you should NOT be replying to questions,
    > which are totally unrelated to your replies. You should be fine if
    > you just try to convince to pigeons in the park of the virtues of
    > that older driver.
    > Rene

    He's a vinyl record with a skip... you cannot convince him. This ng has
    tried for more than a year.
    McG.

    I gotta go with the guy who has the 45.23 drivers as well. I have
    benchmarked my TI4200 with all sorts of drivers and the 45.23 is by FAR
    the fastest and smoothest driver for the card. Half-Life 2 runs nice at
    1024X768, 45-60 fps typically. YOu guys argue all you want, my
    firsthand experience is that newer drivers are not better with older
    cards.

    Can't say that I did that. I just stated that from my personal
    experience, the 45.23 drivers are the fastest drivers for my TI4200.
    That's all, no need to get your panties all in a bunch over it.

    Gil

    I believe you that 45.23 is faster. But sometimes newer games will REQUIRE
    newer drivers.

    DaveL

    "Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Can't say that I did that. I just stated that from my personal
    > experience, the 45.23 drivers are the fastest drivers for my TI4200.
    > That's all, no need to get your panties all in a bunch over it.
    >
    > Gil

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On 3 Mar 2005 07:46:50 -0800, "Gil" <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >Can't say that I did that. I just stated that from my personal
    >experience, the 45.23 drivers are the fastest drivers for my TI4200.
    >That's all, no need to get your panties all in a bunch over it.
    >
    >Gil

    That's why I stated at the end of my rant "(not accussing
    you)". :) The guilty know who they are.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:43:33 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I believe you that 45.23 is faster. But sometimes newer games will REQUIRE
    >newer drivers.
    >
    >DaveL

    I was using the 45.23 drivers for a while, but I came upon a
    game, (FreeLancer if my memory serves me correct), that wouldn't work
    with them, so I moved up to the official newest, and have been using
    them every upgrade. I find that in the games I play, the new drivers
    are all stable, and the perfermance drop is minimal. As for the latest
    games, a GF4 is not that great a card no matter what drivers you use,
    so I'll wait till I can get the cash together to move upto a 6600, or
    something like that before I can fully enjoy them.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I agree that you can get faster cards, but the TI line has held up
    really well. I was impressed (actually I was amazed) at how well
    Half-Life 2 and Max Payne 2 looked and ran with the TI4200 - They both
    ran well enough that I have delayed any upgrade.

    When I do upgrade, I already know that I am getting a 9800XT - it will
    be as much card as my Dell 4550 can handle. After that, it's
    new-computer time.

    Gil
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> schreef in bericht
    >>> With that older video card you should NOT be using the latest
    >>> drivers, which are not stable with card's older technology. You
    >>> should be fine if you use the older 45.23 driver with that card.
    >>
    >> With your level of knowledge you should NOT be replying to questions,
    >> which are totally unrelated to your replies. You should be fine if
    >> you just try to convince to pigeons in the park of the virtues of
    >> that older driver.
    >> Rene
    >
    > He's a vinyl record with a skip... you cannot convince him. This ng has
    > tried for more than a year.
    > McG.

    Haha! Now I understand. Better just to enjoy it like the local fruitcake
    instead of getting annoyed ;-).

    Greetings,
    Rene
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> "Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> schreef in bericht
    >>>
    >>> With your level of knowledge you should NOT be replying to
    >>> questions, which are totally unrelated to your replies. You should
    >>> be fine if you just try to convince to pigeons in the park of the
    >>> virtues of that older driver.
    >>> Rene
    >>
    >> He's a vinyl record with a skip... you cannot convince him. This ng
    >> has tried for more than a year.
    >> McG.
    >
    > Haha! Now I understand. Better just to enjoy it like the local
    > fruitcake instead of getting annoyed ;-).
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Rene

    Yeah it is :) And actually, I see better performance and same
    stability with the 53.03 XP/2K set and my Ti4600-128. Although it did
    really well in Doom3 and Half-Life2 with the 66.93 set also. It really
    is a great card. I'll put it in another box to use for some of the
    older games that did alright with a P3 and 440BX chipset, Win98SE but
    don't work well at all in XP Pro and this P4.
    I'd really enjoy another round of Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet :)

    McG.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "George" <John@nospam.pls> wrote in message
    >A real weird problem occurred a few weeks ago.
    > Running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 4550 with a GeForce4 Ti4600
    > videocard.
    > For two years with no problems whatsoever, but since a few weeks my
    > monitor is blanking every now and then and it even happens that I loose
    > control (no reactions from keyboard and mouse), so a forced restart is the
    > only solution left.
    >
    > The monitor seems ok, so I tried another videocard, viz. GeForce2 and no
    > more blanks appeared as long as I used this older card.
    >
    > My son tested my GeForce4 Ti4600 in his computer and it worked just fine
    > in his system (tested for at least one week).
    >
    > The very moment I put my GeForce4 back into my system, the monitor starts
    > blanking every now and then again.
    >
    > It seems that this card will no longer work properly in my system anymore.
    >
    > The latest driver was already installed and no new programs were installed
    > during the time that my problem lasts on.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue, please?
    >
    > Thanking you in advance,
    > George

    Sounds like your MB to me, check your caps havn't blown - they will look
    like they have swelled up.
    At work we have had to replace close to 100% of our dell MB for our
    particular model although they have failed within 12 months, my 2nd mb has
    one blown cap out of 3 again and its only 4 months old.

    The new dell replacements are using different caps so the problems arn't
    reoccurring. Looks like a very bad batch of caps were used for dell mb's for
    a while.

Nvidia Monitors Graphics