What Type Of Memory Needed To Upgrade 5yr Old Gateway

Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
There are 3 memory module slots
One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
There is a 100 MHz front side bus
I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
stocked nothing suitable
What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
Many thanks for any advice
Regards
Bob
3 answers Last reply
More about what type memory needed upgrade gateway

    "Bob Eason" <bobeason1@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
    > 5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
    > Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
    > There are 3 memory module slots
    > One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
    > There is a 100 MHz front side bus
    > I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
    > Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
    > stocked nothing suitable
    > What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
    > and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
    > I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
    > Many thanks for any advice
    > Regards
    > Bob

    Bob, try Crucial's System Scanner here:

    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

    HTH

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    The 440BX chipset wants PC100 memory, but some PC133 may also work. In
    addition, memory must be non-parity. Memory chips must be low-density.
    Depending on the motherboard model, it may accept 3x256MB. For certain, 3x128MB
    would work. If the memory exceeds 512MB, it would be best to run Windows 2000
    or XP, not 98 or ME.

    Posting the BIOS identifier displayed by the motherboard will help narrow down
    the possible options. Gateway used at least 3 different motherboards with the
    440BX chipset... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:42:17 +1200, "Bob Eason" <bobeason1@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

    >Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
    >5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
    >Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
    >There are 3 memory module slots
    >One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
    >There is a 100 MHz front side bus
    >I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
    >Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
    >stocked nothing suitable
    >What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
    >and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
    >I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
    >Many thanks for any advice
    >Regards
    >Bob

    Go to http://www.crucial.com
    They are very reliable, good quality and fair priced.
    Look up your system and they will list the ram that is guaranteed to
    work in that system. They will also tell you the max amount your system
    will support, which is probably 3X256 = 768 MB

    Be careful with locally bought RAM. Most of this will be high density
    and incompatible with your old 440BX chipset. The stuff you need is
    generally more expensive. But, if it is the correct density, the speed
    does not matter, 100 or 133 MHz will work just fine. Both will run at
    100 MHz with not difference in speed. The latency does make a slight
    difference, CL2 being better than CL3.

    Bob Eason wrote:
    > Very grateful for advice anyone can give me.
    > 5 year old Gateway Pentium 3 500
    > Motherboard uses Intel 440BX chipset
    > There are 3 memory module slots
    > One of these contains one 128 MB SDRAM DIMM memory card
    > There is a 100 MHz front side bus
    > I'd like to increase to 512 MB RAM
    > Tried Dick Smith Electronics -biggest local retail for computer parts- who
    > stocked nothing suitable
    > What should I be searching for memory-wise ? Can I just pull out the 128MB
    > and replace with one 512 or 2x256 module of what ?
    > I know its old but it serves well as an Internet link (and Win 98).
    > Many thanks for any advice
    > Regards
    > Bob

Gateway Memory Computers