Windows XP File Sharing QUESTION

Hi

Okay, I have a main desktop computer attached to the cable modem and the router. I then have two wireless computers picking up the broadband connection via their respective adapters. One of the wireless computers is the administrator of this network. I have been able to successfully share files from both wireless computers.

However, I am having problems setting up sharing files on the main desktop, which is the computer that is attached to the cable modem/router. This main computer is not the administrator. This main computer has four (4) users that are set up on it, so when I start it up, it gives me the option to pick whatever user is going to be using the computer. One of the four users on the main computer is the lead user, and the other three users have limited restrictions.

My question is how do I set up sharing on my home network with the user names on the main computer that have limited restrictions? For instance, when I am signed on as one of the users that is not the lead user, I put the files I want shared in the shared files folder. I try to "share this folder" , but everything is non-clickable, as it is just grey and the templates, I am not able to click.

Please help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:41:02 -0700, "Michael100378"

>Hi
>

>Okay, I have a main desktop computer attached to the cable modem and the router. I then have two wireless computers picking up the broadband connection via their respective adapters. One of the wireless computers is the administrator of this network. I have been able to successfully share files from both wireless computers.
>
>However, I am having problems setting up sharing files on the main desktop, which is the computer that is attached to the cable modem/router. This main computer is not the administrator. This main computer has four (4) users that are set up on it, so when I start it up, it gives me the option to pick whatever user is going to be using the computer. One of the four users on the main computer is the lead user, and the other three users have limited restrictions.
>
>My question is how do I set up sharing on my home network with the user names on the main computer that have limited restrictions? For instance, when I am signed on as one of the users that is not the lead user, I put the files I want shared in the shared files folder. I try to "share this folder" , but everything is non-clickable, as it is just grey and the templates, I am not able to click.
>
>Please help.
>
>Thanks,

Michael,

Do you have one shared files folder, or many (created at various times)? If you
have just one folder, your administrative or lead user sets up that folder as
shared once, and it remains shared, no matter who logs in to the computer.

The identity of the person logged in is relevant to accessing shared folders on
other systems, not to what folders are shared at any time. A folder, once
shared, remains shared. A folder shared is accessible, even with no one logged
in. Non lead users simply can't create new shares.

Cheers,
Chuck

Hi

When I right click the folder that I put the files inside in the shared files main folder, I choose sharing.....and then it wont let me click share this file, and i look more into it and it is labeled as a READ ONLY file. Is this affecting me to sharing this on my home network? How would I change it if it was causing the problem?

Thanks,

UPDATE: I changed it to a non-readonly, so now it is normal...it still wont let me share the file in sharing tab in 'properties"

please help,

thank you so much

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:26:06 -0700, "Michael100378"

>UPDATE: I changed it to a non-readonly, so now it is normal...it still wont let me share the file in sharing tab in 'properties"
>
>please help,
>
>thank you so much

Michael,

If you have a shared folder, simply add files to it.

You can set sharing permissions on files (if you have sharing ability), but
that's a restrictive action. You can designate some files to be less available
than others in a folder, if necessary.

If you simply add files to a folder that's already been shared, those files will
be shared too. With the same availability as the others already in the folder.

Try it.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck-

The files that I want to see are in the sharing folder already....any other suggestions?

Email me if you can, thanks....

TRENDING THREADS