XFX Geforce 5500 fx

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi All,
Looking at purchasing an xfx geforce 5500fx with 256 of memory. Is
this a smart choice for a card under $100.00? Any other options?

THanks for the help,
Greg

greg wrote:
> Hi All,
> Looking at purchasing an xfx geforce 5500fx with 256 of memory. Is
> this a smart choice for a card under $100.00? Any other options?
>
> THanks for the help,
> Greg

No, it's not. For a low end card, the FX series underperforms. I
recommend a 9600 Pro like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-169&depa=1

(line may wrap, copy paste)

It will provide better performance on lower end machines and is faster
in DX9 games. The 256MB of RAM on the card you specified does nothing
to enhance performance on low end cards.

A rough equivalent for a 9600Pro is a GFX5700 (regular). But if you
really want to run DX9 stuff, I HIGHLY recommend a GF6 6200AGP (if you
can find one) or a 6600. They're excellent value cards.

My brother has had a 9600Pro since the day they came out and he's still
very happy with it (performance wise, drivers and sudden CTD's in World
of Warcraft are another thing...).

I can only recommend a low end FX card like that if you need good OpenGL
support and plan on either playing mostly OpenGL games or using CAD/3D
applications.

For example, OpenGL on my 5700 is WAY faster are far more stable than a
9600Pro, especially in WolfET and Call of Duty and Doom 3 (of course).

Hi Greg,

Just had very bad experience with XFX (sent it back), it
appears good buy but then its parts are so cheap (fan) and
getting all pieces necessary to fix it (and the risks doing that)
outweights the cheap price you pay just initially.

Gathering information from many sources e.g. newsgroups
, online reviews, recommendations etc I think the best
brand choices are:

- ASUS
- Gainward
- EVGA
- PNY Verto

I would even say in that order (I am eager to hear what other
people thinks about this ordering) ... unfortunately there are
not enough reviews online as to evaluate more accurately.

HTH,
Best Regards,
Giovanni

"greg" <greggail@takethisout.starpower.andthis.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Looking at purchasing an xfx geforce 5500fx with 256 of memory. Is
> this a smart choice for a card under $100.00? Any other options?
>
> THanks for the help,
> Greg

You might have wanted to mention WHAT uses you are planning to use the card
for, so we can give you an intelligent answer.

--
DaveW

"greg" <greggail@takethisout.starpower.andthis.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Looking at purchasing an xfx geforce 5500fx with 256 of memory. Is this
> a smart choice for a card under $100.00? Any other options?
>
> THanks for the help,
> Greg

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

THe plan is to do some video editing, picturs some gaming and then
general use. For the games at the moment only Roller Coaster Tycoon III
but may think about Doom III.

Greg

DaveW wrote:
> You might have wanted to mention WHAT uses you are planning to use the card
> for, so we can give you an intelligent answer.

Chachi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

DaveW wrote:
> You might have wanted to mention WHAT uses you are planning to use the card
> for, so we can give you an intelligent answer.

Not likely from you.... Let me guess they should NOT be using latest
drivers for that older video card? Right?