GeForce4 MX440 - Screen resizing all the time

Hi,

I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year or
so.
I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together fine
for ages.
When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.

No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on my
task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.

For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Steve
11 answers Last reply
More about geforce4 mx440 screen resizing time

    My guess, monitor going bad.

    DaveL

    "SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year
    > or so.
    > I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
    > fine for ages.
    > When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
    >
    > No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
    > drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
    > When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on my
    > task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
    >
    > For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
    >
    > Any ideas what could cause this?
    >
    > Steve

    That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW wrote:
    > That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    > Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

    Dude, give it up. If you have no clue, don't answer, seriously. Unless
    you're a troll, then in that case troll away, you'll see my kf pretty soon.

    > That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    > Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

    A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The OP
    didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a monitor
    problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads the 45.23
    drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before every thread
    in this NG has that tired old response.

    Dan

    Spack wrote:
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    >>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
    >

    > A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The OP
    > didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a monitor
    > problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads the 45.23
    > drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before every thread
    > in this NG has that tired old response.
    >
    > Dan

    That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
    worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
    shooting is minimal at best.

    To answer the original post:

    My brothers monitor is kind of old and does this too (a cheap Mag
    Innovision). It tends to resize itself from a "Vivid" mode back to
    normal a lot. Also the screen shrinks and wobbles at random.

    We've found that it also depends on the tilt of the monitor and the
    power cable. If the cable's not in tight enough it seems to wobble a
    lot more.

    Best guess is that it's a damaged or dying monitor. Sometimes you can
    get a degaussing wand and "re-align" the screen, but I wouldn't go
    through that much trouble unless someone you know is an electronics
    technician. If it's just the magnets not able to hold the screen
    position steady, then it might be fixable, otherwise see if you can get
    an RMA under a warranty.

    "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    > Spack wrote:
    >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    >>>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
    >>

    >> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The
    >> OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a
    >> monitor problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads
    >> the 45.23 drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before
    >> every thread in this NG has that tired old response.
    >>
    >> Dan
    >
    > That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And worse
    > yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
    > shooting is minimal at best.

    I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few times in
    the past.

    Dan

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.
    I think you may be right.. The monitor is probably dying slowly.
    And - I suddenly remember my GF putting my rather large speakers next to the
    monitor for a few days.. and that seems to have triggered this slow and
    painful death.

    TFT next on my shopping list then!

    Cheers,

    Steve
    "deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
    > Spack wrote:
    >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    >>>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
    >>

    >> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The
    >> OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a
    >> monitor problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads
    >> the 45.23 drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before
    >> every thread in this NG has that tired old response.
    >>
    >> Dan
    >
    > That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And worse
    > yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
    > shooting is minimal at best.
    >
    > To answer the original post:
    >
    > My brothers monitor is kind of old and does this too (a cheap Mag
    > Innovision). It tends to resize itself from a "Vivid" mode back to normal
    > a lot. Also the screen shrinks and wobbles at random.
    >
    > We've found that it also depends on the tilt of the monitor and the power
    > cable. If the cable's not in tight enough it seems to wobble a lot more.
    >
    > Best guess is that it's a damaged or dying monitor. Sometimes you can get
    > a degaussing wand and "re-align" the screen, but I wouldn't go through
    > that much trouble unless someone you know is an electronics technician.
    > If it's just the magnets not able to hold the screen position steady, then
    > it might be fixable, otherwise see if you can get an RMA under a warranty.

    THIS CARD IS STABLE WITH THE NEWEST DRIVER SETS FROM NVIDIA, INCLUDING THE
    VIVO DRIVERS, HAVE OWNED THIS CARD FOR LONG TIME AND USED IT ON MANY KINDS
    OF MOTHERBOARDS PERHAPS YOU STILL NEED THE UN-POSTED VIDEO BIOS UPDATE FOR
    THAT CARD? (WAS ONLY AVAIL. FROM TECHS IN SUPPORT FORUM) MINE WAS TROUBLE
    FOR ABOUT A WEEK UNTIL I FLASHED VID BIOS WITH SPECIAL BIOS FILE YEARS AGO?.
    SINCE THEN IT WORKS WELL WITH EVERY DRIVER I HAVE USED FROM NVIDIA? FULL
    REAL TIME VI AND VO WITH GREAT QUALITY? RECOMMEND THAT CYBERLINK VCR PRO 3
    OR GREATER FOR VID\TV WATCHING\RECORDING GOOD WORKING TIVO LIKE ABILITY.
    PLUS FLEXIBILITY IN VIDEO FORMAT CODEC'S FOR RECORDING. LOVE THE DUAL VIEW
    OVER TWO MONITORS TOO.

    GEO.
    NOT SORRY..CAPS ;>

    "geo" <not@given.cum> wrote in message
    > THIS CARD IS STABLE WITH THE NEWEST DRIVER SETS FROM NVIDIA, INCLUDING THE
    > VIVO DRIVERS, HAVE OWNED THIS CARD FOR LONG TIME AND USED IT ON MANY
    > KINDS
    > OF MOTHERBOARDS PERHAPS YOU STILL NEED THE UN-POSTED VIDEO BIOS UPDATE FOR
    > THAT CARD? (WAS ONLY AVAIL. FROM TECHS IN SUPPORT FORUM) MINE WAS TROUBLE
    > FOR ABOUT A WEEK UNTIL I FLASHED VID BIOS WITH SPECIAL BIOS FILE YEARS
    > AGO?.
    > SINCE THEN IT WORKS WELL WITH EVERY DRIVER I HAVE USED FROM NVIDIA? FULL
    > REAL TIME VI AND VO WITH GREAT QUALITY? RECOMMEND THAT CYBERLINK VCR PRO
    > 3
    > OR GREATER FOR VID\TV WATCHING\RECORDING GOOD WORKING TIVO LIKE ABILITY.
    > PLUS FLEXIBILITY IN VIDEO FORMAT CODEC'S FOR RECORDING. LOVE THE DUAL
    > VIEW
    > OVER TWO MONITORS TOO.
    >
    > GEO.
    > NOT SORRY..CAPS ;>
    >
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >> That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
    >> Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
    >>
    >> --
    >> DaveW
    >>

    >> "SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a
    >> > year
    >> > or so.
    >> > I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
    >> > fine for ages.
    >> > When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
    >> >
    >> > No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest
    >> > Vid
    >> > drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to
    >> > resize.
    >> > When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on
    > my
    >> > task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
    >> >
    >> > For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas what could cause this?
    >> >
    >> > Steve

    Hi Geo,

    Thanks.. Where do I get the bios update from?

    Steve

    >>> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave?
    >>> The OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's
    >> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
    >> worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and
    >> trouble shooting is minimal at best.
    > I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few
    > times in the past.

    Maybe we should save some responses in a text file that we can copy in
    paste whenever he posts his nonsense abuot 45.23.

    "tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message

    >>> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
    >>> worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and
    >>> trouble shooting is minimal at best.
    >> I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few
    >> times in the past.
    >
    > Maybe we should save some responses in a text file that we can copy in
    > paste whenever he posts his nonsense abuot 45.23.

    Maybe I can write an automatic response bot for everyone time he posts it :P

    Dan

Nvidia Graphics