GeForce4 MX440 - Screen resizing all the time

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2005 12:21:16 AM

Hi,

I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year or
so.
I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together fine
for ages.
When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.

No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on my
task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.

For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Steve
March 2, 2005 12:21:17 AM

My guess, monitor going bad.

DaveL

"SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year
> or so.
> I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
> fine for ages.
> When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
>
> No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
> drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
> When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on my
> task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
>
> For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this?
>
> Steve

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:21:17 AM

That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

--
DaveW

"SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year
> or so.
> I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
> fine for ages.
> When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
>
> No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
> drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
> When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on my
> task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
>
> For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this?
>
> Steve

Related resources
March 2, 2005 7:00:02 AM

DaveW wrote:
> That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
> Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

Dude, give it up. If you have no clue, don't answer, seriously. Unless
you're a troll, then in that case troll away, you'll see my kf pretty soon.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:22:19 AM

> That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
> Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.

A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The OP
didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a monitor
problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads the 45.23
drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before every thread
in this NG has that tired old response.

Dan
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:10:02 PM

Spack wrote:
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>
>>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
>>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
>

> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The OP
> didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a monitor
> problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads the 45.23
> drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before every thread
> in this NG has that tired old response.
>
> Dan

That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
shooting is minimal at best.

To answer the original post:

My brothers monitor is kind of old and does this too (a cheap Mag
Innovision). It tends to resize itself from a "Vivid" mode back to
normal a lot. Also the screen shrinks and wobbles at random.

We've found that it also depends on the tilt of the monitor and the
power cable. If the cable's not in tight enough it seems to wobble a
lot more.

Best guess is that it's a damaged or dying monitor. Sometimes you can
get a degaussing wand and "re-align" the screen, but I wouldn't go
through that much trouble unless someone you know is an electronics
technician. If it's just the magnets not able to hold the screen
position steady, then it might be fixable, otherwise see if you can get
an RMA under a warranty.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:36:43 AM

"deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
> Spack wrote:
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
>>>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
>>

>> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The
>> OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a
>> monitor problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads
>> the 45.23 drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before
>> every thread in this NG has that tired old response.
>>
>> Dan
>
> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And worse
> yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
> shooting is minimal at best.

I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few times in
the past.

Dan
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:48:41 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I think you may be right.. The monitor is probably dying slowly.
And - I suddenly remember my GF putting my rather large speakers next to the
monitor for a few days.. and that seems to have triggered this slow and
painful death.

TFT next on my shopping list then!

Cheers,

Steve
"deimos" <deimos@localhost.net> wrote in message
> Spack wrote:
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
>>>Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
>>

>> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave? The
>> OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's obviously a
>> monitor problem. Do you get royalties for every time someone downloads
>> the 45.23 drivers? Or for every time you mention it? Won't be long before
>> every thread in this NG has that tired old response.
>>
>> Dan
>
> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And worse
> yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and trouble
> shooting is minimal at best.
>
> To answer the original post:
>
> My brothers monitor is kind of old and does this too (a cheap Mag
> Innovision). It tends to resize itself from a "Vivid" mode back to normal
> a lot. Also the screen shrinks and wobbles at random.
>
> We've found that it also depends on the tilt of the monitor and the power
> cable. If the cable's not in tight enough it seems to wobble a lot more.
>
> Best guess is that it's a damaged or dying monitor. Sometimes you can get
> a degaussing wand and "re-align" the screen, but I wouldn't go through
> that much trouble unless someone you know is an electronics technician.
> If it's just the magnets not able to hold the screen position steady, then
> it might be fixable, otherwise see if you can get an RMA under a warranty.
March 5, 2005 3:44:37 AM

THIS CARD IS STABLE WITH THE NEWEST DRIVER SETS FROM NVIDIA, INCLUDING THE
VIVO DRIVERS, HAVE OWNED THIS CARD FOR LONG TIME AND USED IT ON MANY KINDS
OF MOTHERBOARDS PERHAPS YOU STILL NEED THE UN-POSTED VIDEO BIOS UPDATE FOR
THAT CARD? (WAS ONLY AVAIL. FROM TECHS IN SUPPORT FORUM) MINE WAS TROUBLE
FOR ABOUT A WEEK UNTIL I FLASHED VID BIOS WITH SPECIAL BIOS FILE YEARS AGO?.
SINCE THEN IT WORKS WELL WITH EVERY DRIVER I HAVE USED FROM NVIDIA? FULL
REAL TIME VI AND VO WITH GREAT QUALITY? RECOMMEND THAT CYBERLINK VCR PRO 3
OR GREATER FOR VID\TV WATCHING\RECORDING GOOD WORKING TIVO LIKE ABILITY.
PLUS FLEXIBILITY IN VIDEO FORMAT CODEC'S FOR RECORDING. LOVE THE DUAL VIEW
OVER TWO MONITORS TOO.

GEO.
NOT SORRY..CAPS ;>

> That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
> Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a year
> > or so.
> > I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
> > fine for ages.
> > When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
> >
> > No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest Vid
> > drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to resize.
> > When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on
my
> > task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
> >
> > For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
> >
> > Any ideas what could cause this?
> >
> > Steve

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:42:15 PM

"geo" <not@given.cum> wrote in message
> THIS CARD IS STABLE WITH THE NEWEST DRIVER SETS FROM NVIDIA, INCLUDING THE
> VIVO DRIVERS, HAVE OWNED THIS CARD FOR LONG TIME AND USED IT ON MANY
> KINDS
> OF MOTHERBOARDS PERHAPS YOU STILL NEED THE UN-POSTED VIDEO BIOS UPDATE FOR
> THAT CARD? (WAS ONLY AVAIL. FROM TECHS IN SUPPORT FORUM) MINE WAS TROUBLE
> FOR ABOUT A WEEK UNTIL I FLASHED VID BIOS WITH SPECIAL BIOS FILE YEARS
> AGO?.
> SINCE THEN IT WORKS WELL WITH EVERY DRIVER I HAVE USED FROM NVIDIA? FULL
> REAL TIME VI AND VO WITH GREAT QUALITY? RECOMMEND THAT CYBERLINK VCR PRO
> 3
> OR GREATER FOR VID\TV WATCHING\RECORDING GOOD WORKING TIVO LIKE ABILITY.
> PLUS FLEXIBILITY IN VIDEO FORMAT CODEC'S FOR RECORDING. LOVE THE DUAL
> VIEW
> OVER TWO MONITORS TOO.
>
> GEO.
> NOT SORRY..CAPS ;>
>
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> That older video card model is NOT stable with the Latest video drivers.
>> Use the older 45.23 driver for stability with that model video card.
>>
>> --
>> DaveW
>>

>> "SPG" <steve.goodsell@nopoo.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have the above graphics card installed, and have done for about a
>> > year
>> > or so.
>> > I have a 21" HP P1110 monitor also, and they have been working together
>> > fine for ages.
>> > When I boot up, the screen used to auto size properly.
>> >
>> > No, and I cannot work out why (WinXP full SP and Patches, and latest
>> > Vid
>> > drivers) the screen seems to jump about - as if it is trying to
>> > resize.
>> > When I boot the screen is about half the width of the "start" button on
> my
>> > task bar too big on both sides. The height is fine.
>> >
>> > For about an hour it will jump in and out every few minutes.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what could cause this?
>> >
>> > Steve

Hi Geo,

Thanks.. Where do I get the bios update from?

Steve
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:21:13 PM

>>> A clear case of copy-and-paste. Got bored of reading have you Dave?
>>> The OP didn't say anything about using the latest drivers. It's
>> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
>> worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and
>> trouble shooting is minimal at best.
> I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few
> times in the past.

Maybe we should save some responses in a text file that we can copy in
paste whenever he posts his nonsense abuot 45.23.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:28:38 AM

"tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message

>>> That cockhole has been giving that answer since at least 52.16! And
>>> worse yet, his demonstrated knowledge of graphics in general and
>>> trouble shooting is minimal at best.
>> I know - I've posted responses to his copy-and-paste bullshit a few
>> times in the past.
>
> Maybe we should save some responses in a text file that we can copy in
> paste whenever he posts his nonsense abuot 45.23.

Maybe I can write an automatic response bot for everyone time he posts it :p

Dan
!