XFX 6600GT AGP, second one

So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,

This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
otherwise...

Richard

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Richard K Rabbat ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
>
> This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
> yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
> otherwise...
>
> Richard

dont take this the wrong way but its not very likely you'll get two bad
cards in a row. Why are you so quick to blame xfx?

XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)

Richard K Rabbat wrote:
> So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
>
> This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
> yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
> otherwise...
>
> Richard

Well, I have an XFX 6600 GT AGP with the original (inferior) fan and it
seems to be running fine for me. I've had it since November, 3 days
after the card was officially released.

I've had MSI cards for a while before this. But August last year I
bought an MSI 6800 nu and it had coloured squares and artefacts on
screen during POST and even artefacted in standard VGA mode. Installing
an nVidia driver caused the machine to reboot. I returned the card and
got a refund and decided it wasn't worth spending that much money on a
game of dice. A whole lot of people at the time had the same problem
with the MSI 6800 vanilla. And now a whole load of people seem to be
having problems with their 6600 GTs too but this time around I was
lucky. Me bro bought an XFX 6600 GT too at around the same time
(original fan) and his has been fine too so far. I think for some reason
GF6 cards are being rushed out or something and the manufacturers have a
high failure rate (The MSI 6800 had a fan speed slider which had a
cardboard bit glued on to indicate the fan speed and this was coming off
as the card came outta the box. 'twas a bit tacky). Lots of people are
complaining about XFX 6600 GTs. But on this and other newgroups lots of
people have been complaining about 6600 GTs from all the manufacturers
causing reboots and stuff.

Some of these problems were due to incompatibilities with the cheaper
mobo chipsets made by SiS if memory serves and beta drivers fixed this.
No doubt it'll be officially corrected in a formal driver release.

I don't what was wrong in your case, but it could be an incompatibility
between yer mobo and the card.

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

Richard K Rabbat wrote:
> So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
>
> This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
> yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
> otherwise...
>
> Richard

I bought an XFX 5950 card in November 04, it failed in November 04. I
RMA'd it and now in March 05 it has failed again.

Gus

kokoro,

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, kokoro ordered an army of
brain cells to type:

>dont take this the wrong way but its not very likely you'll get two bad
>cards in a row. Why are you so quick to blame xfx?

Well kokoro,
>dont take this the wrong way but its not very likely you'll get two bad
>cards in a row
1- It is quite likely when there is a "bad" batch of cards that were made.
So basically and don't take this the wrong way. but, it does happen,
have happened and will still happen. Now you really do not know
me from a stranger in the street right? Have we met? So how do you know
what happened on my end?

>Why are you so quick to blame xfx?
2- Umm lets see, they made the card maybe! You think?
So basically, the first card came to me DOA (with a transistor at the
bottom of the box) have pics to prove, not that I want to prove
anything or to justify my honesty. Second card failed why in windows, put
my GeForce 2 Ultra back in and it miraculously worked... Go figure.
Third, XFX has very poor Quality assurance, and tech help for that matter
(look at their site)

thank you for writting kokoro

Richard

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Richard K Rabbat ordered an army of
> hamsters to type:
>
> > So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
> >
> > This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
> > yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
> > otherwise...
> >
> > Richard
> >

> dont take this the wrong way but its not very likely you'll get two bad
> cards in a row. Why are you so quick to blame xfx?

Hi Giovanni,

What card did you get after you RMA'd your XFX card?

And what do you mean by, > XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)

Richard

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)
>
> "Kokoro" wrote in message
> > dont take this the wrong way but its not very likely you'll get two bad
> > cards in a row. Why are you so quick to blame xfx?

Hi Sharanga,

No incompatibilty here, I'm up to date, just luck of the draw I guess.

Richard

"Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard K Rabbat wrote:
> > So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
> >
> > This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
> > yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
> > otherwise...
> >
> > Richard
> >

> Well, I have an XFX 6600 GT AGP with the original (inferior) fan and it
> seems to be running fine for me. I've had it since November, 3 days
> after the card was officially released.
>
> I've had MSI cards for a while before this. But August last year I
> bought an MSI 6800 nu and it had coloured squares and artefacts on
> screen during POST and even artefacted in standard VGA mode. Installing
> an nVidia driver caused the machine to reboot. I returned the card and
> got a refund and decided it wasn't worth spending that much money on a
> game of dice. A whole lot of people at the time had the same problem
> with the MSI 6800 vanilla. And now a whole load of people seem to be
> having problems with their 6600 GTs too but this time around I was
> lucky. Me bro bought an XFX 6600 GT too at around the same time
> (original fan) and his has been fine too so far. I think for some reason
> GF6 cards are being rushed out or something and the manufacturers have a
> high failure rate (The MSI 6800 had a fan speed slider which had a
> cardboard bit glued on to indicate the fan speed and this was coming off
> as the card came outta the box. 'twas a bit tacky). Lots of people are
> complaining about XFX 6600 GTs. But on this and other newgroups lots of
> people have been complaining about 6600 GTs from all the manufacturers
> causing reboots and stuff.
>
> Some of these problems were due to incompatibilities with the cheaper
> mobo chipsets made by SiS if memory serves and beta drivers fixed this.
> No doubt it'll be officially corrected in a formal driver release.
>

> I don't what was wrong in your case, but it could be an incompatibility
> between yer mobo and the card.

Gus,

Thank you for lighting the way... :)

Richard

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:18:28 -0500, Gus <NTYS@nospam.com> wrote:

>Richard K Rabbat wrote:
>> So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
>>
>> This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
>> yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
>> otherwise...
>>
>> Richard
>>

>I bought an XFX 5950 card in November 04, it failed in November 04. I
>RMA'd it and now in March 05 it has failed again.

Overclocking ?

Not that XFX has anything other than a negative reputation at least
on this newsgroup. About the same as PNY, but it can take between
a year and infinity to RMA PNY....

A CompUSA-style instant-replacement-plan (replace, no questions asked)
is a very wise exercise with expensive video cards, especially if you
intend to overclock....and certainly if they come from 'doubtful'
vendors.

John Lewis

>Gus

Hi Richard,

> What card did you get after you RMA'd your XFX card?

I haven't decided yet ... I think I will wait a while until
more reviews are written e.g. epinions to have a clear picture
which one is the best to go ... I am not in a hurry and don't
want to get the same disappointing results as with the XFX
card again.

My best guess would be to buy one of these brands:

.. Gainward
.. ASUS
.. PNY Berto
.. EVGA

> And what do you mean by, > XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)

It was a joke, he (kokoro) "has to be" a XFXbot (XFX personnel)
to defend XFX, given that the temps of the XFX are overall very
high and the XFX-specific components i.e. fan etc are very bad
quality, cheap, extremelly noisy that most people find themselves
fixing it on their own.

Best Regards,
Giovanni

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

John Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:18:28 -0500, Gus <NTYS@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Richard K Rabbat wrote:
>>
>>>So this was a second one, which I received as RMA for the first one,
>>>
>>>This card Failed on me while in windows. Bad luck I guess. Save
>>>yourselves the head ache and hassle. Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
>>>otherwise...
>>>
>>>Richard
>>>

>>I bought an XFX 5950 card in November 04, it failed in November 04. I
>>RMA'd it and now in March 05 it has failed again.
>>

> Overclocking ?
>
> Not that XFX has anything other than a negative reputation at least
> on this newsgroup. About the same as PNY, but it can take between
> a year and infinity to RMA PNY....
>
> A CompUSA-style instant-replacement-plan (replace, no questions asked)
> is a very wise exercise with expensive video cards, especially if you
> intend to overclock....and certainly if they come from 'doubtful'
> vendors.
>
> John Lewis
>

>>Gus

No overclocking at all.

Gus

> Hi Richard,
>
>> What card did you get after you RMA'd your XFX card?
>>
> I haven't decided yet ... I think I will wait a while until
> more reviews are written e.g. epinions to have a clear picture
> which one is the best to go ... I am not in a hurry and don't
> want to get the same disappointing results as with the XFX
> card again.
>
> My best guess would be to buy one of these brands:
>
> . Gainward
> . ASUS
> . PNY Berto <<<<and this is "Verto"
> . EVGA
>
>> And what do you mean by, > XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)
>>
> It was a joke, he (kokoro) "has to be" a XFXbot (XFX personnel)
> to defend XFX, given that the temps of the XFX are overall very
> high and the XFX-specific components i.e. fan etc are very bad
> quality, cheap, extremelly noisy that most people find themselves
> fixing it on their own.
>
> Best Regards,
> Giovanni

I'd like to mention that eVGA, a California company whose boards are
built in China, produce what appear to be good solid boards. I've
bought a 6800 and 6800 GT of theirs now, and both are quiet, cool and
appear decently made. They work flawlessly so far. I also like their
little double sticker system of ID'ing the card inside. One sticker on
the outside of the carton, and one on the card itself, visible thru a
plastic window in the box. You verify you've got an actual card in
there and that it's the right one.
So far, I've no complaints about eVGA video boards.
McG.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:49:38 -0800, "Richard K Rabbat"
<richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

>Do Not Buy Any XFX Brand card or
>otherwise...

Don't talk shite!

--
Cheers,

Guy

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:14:49 -0800, "Richard K Rabbat"
<richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

>Last I checked this is a free country...

Yes, you are free to prove to all here that you are thick.

QED

--
Cheers,

Guy

LOL

Richard K Rabbat wrote:
> Last I checked this is a free country...
>
> People do not buy XFX Graphics cards they are very poorly built

I have an XFX 6600 GT and 'tis been working fine since November.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:Gu5Wd.40374$Qz1.6061@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> "Giovanni Azua" <bravegag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>>> What card did you get after you RMA'd your XFX card?
>>>
>> I haven't decided yet ... I think I will wait a while until
>> more reviews are written e.g. epinions to have a clear picture
>> which one is the best to go ... I am not in a hurry and don't
>> want to get the same disappointing results as with the XFX
>> card again.
>>
>> My best guess would be to buy one of these brands:
>>
>> . Gainward
>> . ASUS
>> . PNY Berto <<<<and this is "Verto"
>> . EVGA
>>
>>> And what do you mean by, > XFX bot match found with 98.9% score :)
>>>
>> It was a joke, he (kokoro) "has to be" a XFXbot (XFX personnel)
>> to defend XFX, given that the temps of the XFX are overall very
>> high and the XFX-specific components i.e. fan etc are very bad
>> quality, cheap, extremelly noisy that most people find themselves
>> fixing it on their own.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Giovanni
>
> I'd like to mention that eVGA, a California company whose boards are built in China, produce what appear to be good solid boards.
> I've

Aren't they all built in china, I remember back
when people used to say 'Oh, that was built in Japan'
look at the Japanese today making high quality stuff.
The question here are any 6600GT video cards made in the USA at all ???