[Solved] Installation method question

gregro

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I've been reading a lot of threads and haven't come across a situation similar to what I want to do, so I'm asking for help. If you would please let me know what problems I'm creating by installing 7 on my system in the way I'll describe I'd be grateful! This is my "everyday" computer, for communicating with the world but also for heavy Photoshopping and some games.
The system has two identical hd's. One was for data but I transferred all the data to a removable USB hd so it's empty and ready to go. The current OS on the other drive is Vista 64. I want to do a clean install since everyone says this is best. So, can I choose the custom option and install 7 to the empty drive? If I do that won't I then I have a dual-boot system? This is where I'm confused... Can I pull the hd with Vista out and set it to slave like in the old days? That way I'd still have access to the drive but no dual-boot situation. And if I decided I didn't like 7 it'd be easy to go back to Vista. Also, if the drive with 7 on it got messed up for whatever reason I'd still be able to continue working with the Vista drive. I like the positives... just am not aware of the negatives.

Solution
In your case, going with a dual boot setup is actually easier. If you do what you seem to be suggesting, you would have to manually tell the BIOS to boot from the hard drive with Vista installed in order to use it. You can still see both drives from either operating system, but I don't see the point is making this more complicated than it needs to be. Run a dual boot setup until you don't see the need to continue using Vista, then remove the entry from the boot manager.
In your case, going with a dual boot setup is actually easier. If you do what you seem to be suggesting, you would have to manually tell the BIOS to boot from the hard drive with Vista installed in order to use it. You can still see both drives from either operating system, but I don't see the point is making this more complicated than it needs to be. Run a dual boot setup until you don't see the need to continue using Vista, then remove the entry from the boot manager.

Solution

gregro

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I read that as with any dual boot system during start up the boot screen will pop up asking which OS to use so it sounds pretty simple. Famous last words...

gregro

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Installed Windows 7 on the empty drive this morning. Things seem to be working properly. A lot of importing and customizing to be done... That's a big part of the learning curve though. Anyhow- so far so good.