Solved

Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit

I need to know if I would need to a complete fresh install if I move to 64 bit? From what I have read this is the case. My only incentive to upgrade is due to ram problems and wanting to ad 2 more gigs since 32 bit only reads 3.6 gig.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading
  1. Hi :)

NO upgrade form 32 to 64 bit...

So yes complete format and reinstall... with a NEW KEY which you buy....

All the best Brett :)
  2. Best answer
    Yes, you do need a clean install.
    You can use windows easy transfer to export your settings and files.
    After windows 7 64 bit is installed, you can import them back.
    Your apps will need to be reinstalled.

But... the license for windows is not 32/64 bit sensitive.
    If you have a 64 bit install dvd available, you can use it to do a clean install, and reactivate using your original activation key.
  3. So I could use my windows 7 32 bit premium key and upgrade to 64 bit windows 7?
  4. mute20 said:
    So I could use my windows 7 32 bit premium key and upgrade to 64 bit windows 7?

Hi :)

YES but ONLY if you bought the RETAIL version.... which would have come with BOTH DISCS....32 bit AND 64 bit...

All the best Brett :)
  5. mute20 said:
    So I could use my windows 7 32 bit premium key and upgrade to 64 bit windows 7?

I have done exactly that. I did the reverse explicitly so I could run civ 2.42 which only runs on 32 bit.
    No problem reactivating.
    I did this on a laptop with a oem product key.
    The motherboard is still the same, so it does not violate the oem limitation.
    I used a windows 7 32 bit upgrade dvd.
    I think actually all of the windows dvd's are exactly the same, differing in 32 or 64 bit versions.
    It is the activation key that unlocks the different options.
  6. Best answer selected by mute20.
  7. I have a oem so looks like I might have to buy a new copy if I decided to do this.
  8. mute20 said:
    I have a oem so looks like I might have to buy a new copy if I decided to do this.

You could perhaps borrow a dvd for the installation.
    But owning a dvd could be useful, since it can be used to boot from in a recovery situation.

I think I would buy a upgrade version which will include both 32 and 64 bit dvd's and is considered as retail, so it can be transferred in the future to a different motherboard.

While you are at it, just buy a 8gb ram kit of 2 x 4gb. It is not expensive.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Windows 8