6600GT and 1920 resolution

would a 6600GT be able to perform well at 1920x1200 resolution...?
(thinking about the dell2405FPW 24" LCD). mainly i'm concerned about
openGL performance in Maya, and DVD playback, i would want no jerkiness
for either application. gaming performance would be cool but not essential.

i know that SLI has problems with widescreen and DVI, so not much point
in considering it yet anyway.
29 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt 1920 resolution

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:46:06 +1300, pixel <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote:

    >would a 6600GT be able to perform well at 1920x1200 resolution...?

    No. The sweet spot for this chipset is 1280x1024 according to some
    recent tests in a UK PC mag.

    This is a mid-range chip, you'll need to go for top-of-the-range for
    3D use.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    pixel <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote:
    > would a 6600GT be able to perform well at 1920x1200 resolution...?
    > (thinking about the dell2405FPW 24" LCD). mainly i'm concerned about
    > openGL performance in Maya, and DVD playback, i would want no
    > jerkiness for either application. gaming performance would be cool
    > but not essential.

    In my limited experience, the 6800GT is too slow for smooth 1600x1200 video,
    as it appears to rely on software scaling. So I would say no, the 6600GT
    would probably not be the best choice for 1920x1200 video...

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

    pixel wrote:

    > would a 6600GT be able to perform well at 1920x1200 resolution...?
    > (thinking about the dell2405FPW 24" LCD).

    yes

    > mainly i'm concerned about
    > openGL performance in Maya, and DVD playback, i would want no
    > jerkiness for either application. gaming performance would be cool
    > but not essential.

    DVD is fine, apps like Maya and such should run fine, too. Games might
    require to use a lower resolution, though. I have a PNY 6600GT and a Dell
    2005FPW, HL2 runs fine with everything max but without AA/AF on 1680x1050...

    > i know that SLI has problems with widescreen and DVI, so not much
    > point in considering it yet anyway.

    IMHO it's not worth considering price-wice anyways. A single GF6800GT or
    Ultra is cheaper and faster than a SLI 6600GT setup...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > pixel wrote:
    >

    >>would a 6600GT be able to perform well at 1920x1200 resolution...?
    >>(thinking about the dell2405FPW 24" LCD).
    >

    > yes
    >

    >>mainly i'm concerned about
    >>openGL performance in Maya, and DVD playback, i would want no
    >>jerkiness for either application. gaming performance would be cool
    >>but not essential.
    >

    > DVD is fine, apps like Maya and such should run fine, too. Games might
    > require to use a lower resolution, though. I have a PNY 6600GT and a Dell
    > 2005FPW, HL2 runs fine with everything max but without AA/AF on 1680x1050...
    >

    >>i know that SLI has problems with widescreen and DVI, so not much
    >>point in considering it yet anyway.
    >

    > IMHO it's not worth considering price-wice anyways. A single GF6800GT or
    > Ultra is cheaper and faster than a SLI 6600GT setup...
    >
    > Benjamin

    I was reading an SLI test on Beyond3D yesterday in which the 6600GT SLI
    setup repeatedly outperformed the generic 6800 SLI setup for some reason.

    thanks to all who replied. i will wait for a few months until i've built
    up a new system (with new Tyan K8WE SLI mobo & dual 6800GT, providing
    nVidia fix the widescreen problem with SLI).

    getting a bit OT does anybody know whether the new Tyan dual opteron
    boards purchased now will support the dual-core chips being released
    early next year...?

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > DVD is fine, apps like Maya and such should run fine, too. Games might
    > require to use a lower resolution, though. I have a PNY 6600GT and a Dell
    > 2005FPW, HL2 runs fine with everything max but without AA/AF on 1680x1050...

    that's over half a million pixels less than the 2405... a huge
    difference in stress levels on the graphics card...

    pixel wrote:

    >> DVD is fine, apps like Maya and such should run fine, too. Games
    >> might require to use a lower resolution, though. I have a PNY 6600GT
    >> and a Dell 2005FPW, HL2 runs fine with everything max but without
    >> AA/AF on 1680x1050...
    >

    > that's over half a million pixels less than the 2405... a huge
    > difference in stress levels on the graphics card...

    I said that games certainly won't be playable in full resolution. But
    nevertheless DVD and professional apps llike Maya should be fine (they are
    fine at 1920x1200 on slower cards)...

    Benjamin

    deimos wrote:

    >> IMHO it's not worth considering price-wice anyways. A single
    >> GF6800GT or Ultra is cheaper and faster than a SLI 6600GT setup...
    >>
    >> Benjamin
    >>

    > I was reading an SLI test on Beyond3D yesterday in which the 6600GT
    > SLI setup repeatedly outperformed the generic 6800 SLI setup for some
    > reason.

    Sure, since a single 6600GT outperforms a 6800 (non-GT/non-Ultra) in almost
    all situations already...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > I said that games certainly won't be playable in full resolution. But
    > nevertheless DVD and professional apps llike Maya should be fine (they are
    > fine at 1920x1200 on slower cards)...

    in this thread i've heard 2 people say completely opposite things about
    DVD performance with a 6600GT at 1920, and watching full-screen movies
    on the LCD would be the 2nd most important task.... so not sure what to
    believe on that yet...

    pixel wrote:

    > in this thread i've heard 2 people say completely opposite things
    > about DVD performance with a 6600GT at 1920,

    Strange, as both people (I assume You are talking about Arthurs and Dr Teeth
    postings) are talking about the 6800 and not the 6600GT. The funny thing is
    that the 6600GT has much better video acceleration hardware which also
    supports HDTV, and the 6600GT doesn't...

    Besides that, it depends on what exactly You want to do. DVD watching is
    different from i.e. watching DivX movies or WMV movies (especially WMV-HD),
    and it also depends on the DVD player software You use...

    Besides that, it's IMHO totally stupid to rely on watching DVDs at
    1920x1200, simply because DVD Video has a max resolution of only 720 x 576
    pixels. So even if You set Your gfx card to 1920x1200 the DVD Video has to
    be interpolated, and the resulting picture isn't better than with Your gfx
    cards at i.e. 1440x1152 and having the display interpolating the image...

    > and watching full-screen
    > movies on the LCD would be the 2nd most important task.... so not
    > sure what to believe on that yet...

    If I were You I'd concentrate on things that are much more essential than
    DVD playback which hardly is a problem for any somewhat modern gfx card...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > Strange, as both people (I assume You are talking about Arthurs and
    > Dr Teeth postings) are talking about the 6800 and not the 6600GT. The
    > funny thing is that the 6600GT has much better video acceleration
    > hardware which also supports HDTV, and the 6600GT doesn't...
    ^^^^^^
    Replace this "6600GT" with "6800". Sorry.

    Benjamin
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Besides that, it's IMHO totally stupid to rely on watching DVDs at
    > 1920x1200, simply because DVD Video has a max resolution of only 720 x 576
    > pixels. So even if You set Your gfx card to 1920x1200 the DVD Video has to
    > be interpolated, and the resulting picture isn't better than with Your gfx
    > cards at i.e. 1440x1152 and having the display interpolating the image...

    it has to be 1920 for several reasons, no-one can really be bothered
    changing the res of a monitor just to watch a movie, and interpolated
    DVDs i've seen still look great. it has to be no less than 1920 because
    as i understand it changing the native res of an LCD would look bad,
    worse than interpolating the DVD movie itself.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    pixel wrote:

    > it has to be 1920 for several reasons, no-one can really be bothered
    > changing the res of a monitor just to watch a movie, and interpolated
    > DVDs i've seen still look great. it has to be no less than 1920
    > because as i understand it changing the native res of an LCD would
    > look bad, worse than interpolating the DVD movie itself.

    No matter what You do, DVD will always be interpolated. If the gfx card does
    the interpolation or the display does makes no difference. Using a high
    resultion brings You nothing. That's btw one of the reasons why most LCD TVs
    use XGA or SXGA displays. Higher resolutions simply don't offer a better
    picture.

    Besides that, having the display interpolationg lower resolutions isn't
    always as bad as it sounds. Of course it usually looks really bad if You use
    1024x768 on a 1280x1024 (SXGA) display or if You go down to 800x600 on a
    1024x768 (XGA) TFT. But the image quality on i.e. a HP L2335 23"-Display
    (native 1920x1200; we have dozens of them at work) on lower resolutions like
    1600x1024 or even down to 1024x768 is very good and sharp. That's because
    such high-res monitors have lots of pixels on which even lower resolutions
    look good, while usual 15" XGA and 17" SXGA TFTs have a much smaller number
    of pixels which results in a unsharp image on non-native resolutions.

    But of course if You insist You can watch DVD in 1920x1200 with a 6600GT
    without problems...

    Benjamin
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > No matter what You do, DVD will always be interpolated. If the gfx
    > card does the interpolation or the display does makes no difference.
    > Using a high resultion brings You nothing. That's btw one of the
    > reasons why most LCD TVs use XGA or SXGA displays. Higher resolutions
    > simply don't offer a better picture.

    Actually there has been a lot of success in upscaling DVDs to HD
    resolutions. There was an article a year or so ago about it on one of the
    hardware sites that showed screenshots of Star Wars Episode 2 from standard
    DVD video and the upscaled version and there was quite an improvement.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    tq96 wrote:

    > Actually there has been a lot of success in upscaling DVDs to HD
    > resolutions. There was an article a year or so ago about it on one
    > of the hardware sites that showed screenshots of Star Wars Episode 2
    > from standard DVD video and the upscaled version and there was quite
    > an improvement.

    I know, but there are quite contrary opinions around about upscaling. I've
    seen it myself several times, but I don't think it's really that good. Most
    people simply forget that the visual information (detail resolution) in
    720x576 isn't sufficient for higher resolutions. There are some tricks to
    make some(!) (not all) scenes look better, but that's it. It's not even
    close the quality of a high resolution video stream, and in most scenes that
    aren't taking place in the dark the picture also can get worse...

    Of course HDTV video (like wmv-hd) is a different story, but for that the
    6600GT also is one of the best cards available...

    Benjamin
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    > tq96 wrote:
    >
    >> Actually there has been a lot of success in upscaling DVDs to HD
    >> resolutions. There was an article a year or so ago about it on one
    >> of the hardware sites that showed screenshots of Star Wars Episode 2
    >> from standard DVD video and the upscaled version and there was quite
    >> an improvement.
    >
    > I know, but there are quite contrary opinions around about upscaling.
    > I've seen it myself several times, but I don't think it's really that
    > good. Most people simply forget that the visual information (detail
    > resolution) in 720x576 isn't sufficient for higher resolutions. There
    > are some tricks to make some(!) (not all) scenes look better, but
    > that's it. It's not even close the quality of a high resolution video
    > stream, and in most scenes that aren't taking place in the dark the
    > picture also can get worse...

    I beg to differ. My 6800GT card displays video in 640x480 overlay, and it
    looks absolutely horrible compared to when I use my Parhelia, which scales
    the overlay to the chosen destination resolution, using 10 bits per colour
    while interpolating. Gone are the horisontal stripes that you easily see in
    640x480, and aliasing effects are severely reduced.

    The video quality of the 6800GT is so bad that I'm about to yank it out and
    put the Parhelia back in, despite not being able to play $300 worth of games
    plus having spent $400 on a card I won't use.

    > Of course HDTV video (like wmv-hd) is a different story, but for that
    > the 6600GT also is one of the best cards available...

    Provided you use Windows XP. If you use Windows 2000 (which has some
    advantages over XP, where XP has been crippled), all the extra video
    features are disabled. This is not an OS problem, as other video card
    producers have no problems doing HW accelleration in W2k, but likely a
    conscious decision from nVidia not to support W2k more than they have to,
    due to the smaller user base.

    --
    *Art
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    > I beg to differ. My 6800GT card displays video in 640x480 overlay,
    > and it looks absolutely horrible compared to when I use my Parhelia,
    > which scales the overlay to the chosen destination resolution, using
    > 10 bits per colour while interpolating. Gone are the horisontal
    > stripes that you easily see in 640x480, and aliasing effects are
    > severely reduced.

    What software are You using? I have no problem watching DVDs at 1680x1050
    with my PNY Verto GF6600GT PCIe...

    > The video quality of the 6800GT is so bad that I'm about to yank it
    > out and put the Parhelia back in, despite not being able to play $300
    > worth of games plus having spent $400 on a card I won't use.

    Maybe You should just choose a different card, or check Your
    setup/configuration...

    >> Of course HDTV video (like wmv-hd) is a different story, but for that
    >> the 6600GT also is one of the best cards available...
    >
    > Provided you use Windows XP. If you use Windows 2000 (which has some
    > advantages over XP, where XP has been crippled)

    And what advantages should that be?

    > , all the extra video
    > features are disabled. This is not an OS problem, as other video card
    > producers have no problems doing HW accelleration in W2k, but likely a
    > conscious decision from nVidia not to support W2k more than they have
    > to, due to the smaller user base.

    That's BS. The GF6600GT works as well with video in W2k as it does in
    WinXP...

    I really suggest You check Your setup...

    Benjamin
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> I beg to differ. My 6800GT card displays video in 640x480 overlay,
    >> and it looks absolutely horrible compared to when I use my Parhelia,
    >> which scales the overlay to the chosen destination resolution, using
    >> 10 bits per colour while interpolating. Gone are the horisontal
    >> stripes that you easily see in 640x480, and aliasing effects are
    >> severely reduced.
    >
    > What software are You using? I have no problem watching DVDs at
    > 1680x1050 with my PNY Verto GF6600GT PCIe...

    Video overlays should be independent of the software used.
    If the software does it for you, bypassing the drivers, that's cheating.
    :-)
    So the answer is really "any program without special nVidia support".
    This includes Pinnacle Studio 8 and PCTV Vision, BeyondTV 3, Intervideo
    WinDVD Recorder, Bink/Smacker player, and a bunch of games (where
    cut-screens don't appear on the second monitor at all, even when an overlay
    is used).

    >> The video quality of the 6800GT is so bad that I'm about to yank it
    >> out and put the Parhelia back in, despite not being able to play $300
    >> worth of games plus having spent $400 on a card I won't use.
    >
    > Maybe You should just choose a different card, or check Your
    > setup/configuration...

    I tried an ATI X800 pro first. That was much worse -- it can't do overlays
    to a second monitor at all unless you use clone mode.

    As for configuration, I'm uncertain what to check for. It's not like
    there's a lot of options in the nVidia drivers for overlays when running
    W2k. There are some things I am sure are just plain wrong with the driver
    setup, though, like:

    - Having no less than *eight* monitors show up in the device manager when I
    really have two. If I remove any of them, they reappear if doing a hardware
    scan. I have four "Default Monitor (winseset)", two Envision monitors and
    two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro monitors listed, when in reality I have one
    Envision and one Diamond Pro. No matter what I try, the extra non-existing
    monitors reappear in the device manager as long as the GT6800 card is
    installed.
    - Whenever I select the "GeForce 6800 GT" tab in the display properties
    advanced settings, the primary monitor degausses and goes black, and I have
    to turn the monitor off and on again to get the display back. Same when I
    OK out of the display properties.
    - DDC/CI doesn't work. I refuse to believe that a $400 card doesn't
    support this, and think it might be related to the above mentioned confusion
    with number of monitors.

    >>> Of course HDTV video (like wmv-hd) is a different story, but for
    >>> that the 6600GT also is one of the best cards available...
    >>
    >> Provided you use Windows XP. If you use Windows 2000 (which has some
    >> advantages over XP, where XP has been crippled)
    >
    > And what advantages should that be?

    There's at least a few places where XP has been deliberately crippled:

    - Multiple colour profiles per monitor.
    - For networking, having more than 10 half-open connections (which has been
    crippled even for XP Pro with SP2).
    - Being able to "Remove Hardware", so you can revert to a previous version
    of a driver if the latest one gives you problems, even when there's no
    specific uninstaller.

    >> , all the extra video
    >> features are disabled. This is not an OS problem, as other video
    >> card producers have no problems doing HW accelleration in W2k, but
    >> likely a conscious decision from nVidia not to support W2k more than
    >> they have to, due to the smaller user base.
    >
    > That's BS. The GF6600GT works as well with video in W2k as it does in
    > WinXP...

    Nope. Look at nVidia's site:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/dvd_decoder_sysreqs.html
    Or this review from Anand:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305

    In short, thne nVidia hardware decoder isn't available for W2k (and neither
    is WMP 10 which you need to take full advantage of all the options).

    > I really suggest You check Your setup...

    I'd love to, but I don't know what to check or how to fix what's wrong,
    beyond what I've already tried. Do you have any specific suggestions?

    --
    *Art
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    >> What software are You using? I have no problem watching DVDs at
    >> 1680x1050 with my PNY Verto GF6600GT PCIe...
    >
    > Video overlays should be independent of the software used.
    > If the software does it for you, bypassing the drivers, that's
    > cheating. :-)

    Yes, _should_. However, reality is different. I for example have no problems
    with PowerDVD while WinDVD sometimes gives me artifacts...

    > So the answer is really "any program without special nVidia support".
    > This includes Pinnacle Studio 8 and PCTV Vision, BeyondTV 3,
    > Intervideo WinDVD Recorder, Bink/Smacker player, and a bunch of games
    > (where cut-screens don't appear on the second monitor at all, even
    > when an overlay is used).

    Fine. But if You re-read my postings You might notice that I was talking
    about DVD playback as was the OP. Not about watching TV or any video
    players...

    >> Maybe You should just choose a different card, or check Your
    >> setup/configuration...
    >
    > I tried an ATI X800 pro first. That was much worse -- it can't do
    > overlays to a second monitor at all unless you use clone mode.
    >
    > As for configuration, I'm uncertain what to check for. It's not like
    > there's a lot of options in the nVidia drivers for overlays when
    > running W2k. There are some things I am sure are just plain wrong
    > with the driver setup, though, like:
    >
    > - Having no less than *eight* monitors show up in the device manager
    > when I really have two. If I remove any of them, they reappear if
    > doing a hardware scan. I have four "Default Monitor (winseset)", two
    > Envision monitors and two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro monitors listed,
    > when in reality I have one Envision and one Diamond Pro. No matter
    > what I try, the extra non-existing monitors reappear in the device
    > manager as long as the GT6800 card is installed.

    Can't confirm that. One of my friend is running W2k because of paranoia on
    his P4 with 6600GT PCIe (with one 19" TFT and an Liyama 17" crt), and he
    doesn't have this problem...

    > - Whenever I select the "GeForce 6800 GT" tab in the display
    > properties advanced settings, the primary monitor degausses and goes
    > black, and I have to turn the monitor off and on again to get the
    > display back. Same when I OK out of the display properties.

    Also this doesn't happen here...

    > - DDC/CI doesn't work. I refuse to believe that a $400 card doesn't
    > support this, and think it might be related to the above mentioned
    > confusion with number of monitors.

    Again, no problems here...

    This definitely isn't a problem of the Nvidia W2k driver (which btw. is the
    same like the XP driver). Your system really screams for help. I don't know
    what hardware You have, and remote diags often are difficult, but all I can
    say is that the Nvidia drivers work flawlessly under W2k as they do under
    XP...

    You said You had an X800 first. It's possible that there are remainings of
    the ATI Catalyst driver that hasn't been uninstalled properly...

    >>> Provided you use Windows XP. If you use Windows 2000 (which has
    >>> some advantages over XP, where XP has been crippled)
    >>
    >> And what advantages should that be?
    >
    > There's at least a few places where XP has been deliberately crippled:
    >
    > - Multiple colour profiles per monitor.

    I can add as many colour profiles to my monitors as I want on my XP Pro
    machine...

    > - For networking, having more than 10 half-open connections (which
    > has been crippled even for XP Pro with SP2).

    With SP2 MS lowered the TcpNumConnections value to prevent DDoS and flooding
    attacks. The options were already there in WinXP Pre-SP2 and even W2k, but
    not activated. If You use XP SP2 You can raise the number of connections by
    hand. XP before SP2 behaves exactly the same like W2k.

    > - Being able to "Remove Hardware", so you can revert to a previous
    > version of a driver if the latest one gives you problems, even when
    > there's no specific uninstaller.

    That works exactly the same in XP than in W2k...

    >> That's BS. The GF6600GT works as well with video in W2k as it does in
    >> WinXP...
    >
    > Nope. Look at nVidia's site:
    > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/dvd_decoder_sysreqs.html

    These are the requirements for Nvidias DVD Player software(!). This has
    nothing to do with the video capabilities of the GF6600 gfx cards which _do_
    work fine under W2k...

    > Or this review from Anand:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305

    Anandtech is unreachable atm. Don't know why...

    > In short, thne nVidia hardware decoder isn't available for W2k (and
    > neither is WMP 10 which you need to take full advantage of all the
    > options).

    No. You need WMP10 for WMV-HD and for using the Nvidia DVD Decoder. You
    don't need it if You want to use the DVD decoding features of the Geforce.
    And that's all the OP wants...

    > I'd love to, but I don't know what to check or how to fix what's
    > wrong, beyond what I've already tried. Do you have any specific
    > suggestions? ´

    I'd check if there are any remainings of the ATI drivers on Your computer
    which should be removed. If You use a board with non-intel chipset get the
    latest mainboard drivers from the chipset manufacturer website. Always use
    the drivers from the chipset manufacturer and not from the mobo/gfx card
    manufacturer site as the latter often are old.

    Benjamin
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > - Having no less than *eight* monitors show up in the device manager
    > when I really have two. If I remove any of them, they reappear if
    > doing a hardware scan. I have four "Default Monitor (winseset)", two
    That would happen in XP, too. I think it has to do with how NVidia has
    implemented nView.

    > - Whenever I select the "GeForce 6800 GT" tab in the display
    > properties advanced settings, the primary monitor degausses and goes
    > black, and I have to turn the monitor off and on again to get the
    > display back. Same when I OK out of the display properties.
    This occurs when your monitor isn't sending EDID data via DDC.

    > - DDC/CI doesn't work. I refuse to believe that a $400 card doesn't
    > support this, and think it might be related to the above mentioned
    > confusion with number of monitors.
    The card absolutely does support DDC (and as seen by the problem mentioned
    above, relies a bit too much on it). Either your monitor does not support
    DDC or there is some type of compatibility issue.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    tq96 <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote:

    >> - Whenever I select the "GeForce 6800 GT" tab in the display
    >> properties advanced settings, the primary monitor degausses and goes
    >> black, and I have to turn the monitor off and on again to get the
    >> display back. Same when I OK out of the display properties.
    > This occurs when your monitor isn't sending EDID data via DDC.
    >
    >> - DDC/CI doesn't work. I refuse to believe that a $400 card doesn't
    >> support this, and think it might be related to the above mentioned
    >> confusion with number of monitors.
    > The card absolutely does support DDC (and as seen by the problem
    > mentioned above, relies a bit too much on it). Either your monitor
    > does not support DDC or there is some type of compatibility issue.

    Mitsubishi DiamondPro 930SB, which is probably the best aperture grille 19"
    you can get these days, after Sony stopped their CRT line.
    DDC/CI works fine when using a Matrox Parhelia card, but not when using the
    6800GT.
    I'm using the monitor through a DVI->VGA adaptor plug, but I did that with
    the Parhelia too, so that shouldn't matter. The only thing I can think of
    is that the 6800GT can't handle a situation with the monitor on the DVI port
    supporting DDC and the one on the VGA port doesn't.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote:
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >
    >>> What software are You using? I have no problem watching DVDs at
    >>> 1680x1050 with my PNY Verto GF6600GT PCIe...
    >>
    >> Video overlays should be independent of the software used.
    >> If the software does it for you, bypassing the drivers, that's
    >> cheating. :-)
    >
    > Yes, _should_. However, reality is different. I for example have no
    > problems with PowerDVD while WinDVD sometimes gives me artifacts...

    Reality is different for nVidia then -- with Matrox cards, overlays work the
    same independent of the program you use.

    > You said You had an X800 first. It's possible that there are
    > remainings of the ATI Catalyst driver that hasn't been uninstalled
    > properly...

    All scrubbed, including a manual registry and inf scrub after using ATI's
    removal utility.

    >>> That's BS. The GF6600GT works as well with video in W2k as it does
    >>> in WinXP...
    >>
    >> Nope. Look at nVidia's site:
    >> http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/dvd_decoder_sysreqs.html
    >
    > These are the requirements for Nvidias DVD Player software(!). This
    > has nothing to do with the video capabilities of the GF6600 gfx cards
    > which _do_ work fine under W2k...

    The thing is that hardware accelleration is only available through the
    driver extension that comes as part of the dvd decoder. (You don't have to
    use the nVidia player, but it comes with the decoder.) If watching DVD
    without the nVidia decoder, you are basically doing it all in software, even
    though the card itself is capable of basic video HW accelleration.
    Check the CPU use if you don't believe me.

    >> In short, thne nVidia hardware decoder isn't available for W2k (and
    >> neither is WMP 10 which you need to take full advantage of all the
    >> options).
    >
    > No. You need WMP10 for WMV-HD and for using the Nvidia DVD Decoder.
    > You don't need it if You want to use the DVD decoding features of the
    > Geforce. And that's all the OP wants...

    The DVD decoding parts are not available unless you buy the DVD decoder.
    You can still watch DVD, of course, but without hardware assist.

    >> I'd love to, but I don't know what to check or how to fix what's
    >> wrong, beyond what I've already tried. Do you have any specific
    >> suggestions? ´
    >
    > I'd check if there are any remainings of the ATI drivers on Your
    > computer which should be removed. If You use a board with non-intel
    > chipset get the latest mainboard drivers from the chipset
    > manufacturer website. Always use the drivers from the chipset
    > manufacturer and not from the mobo/gfx card manufacturer site as the
    > latter often are old.

    All that checks out.
    All previous drivers scrubbed.
    P4T533, latest BIOS, latest Intel 850E chipset drivers.
    P4 3.06HT, 512MB PC4200 32-bit RDRAM
    W2k SP4 + all recommended patches
    All other drivers latest stable or latest WHQL version.
    BFG 6800GT OC
    nVidia 71.84 drivers
    (I never installed the drivers from the CD that came with the card -- the
    setup program on the CD fails unless you already have video drivers
    installed as it needs to play a video first, so I figured that whoever
    assembled the CD wasn't too smart.)

    When installing the drivers under W2k, no less than *six* reboots are
    required before everything is up and running with dual monitors in
    independent mode. Probably less under XP, but still...

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Arthur Hagen wrote:
    > The DVD decoding parts are not available unless you buy the DVD decoder.
    > You can still watch DVD, of course, but without hardware assist.

    Playing a DVD in PowerDVD or WinDVD and checking the status window will
    clearly show you that iDCT and/or motion compensation acceleration is
    being used. The NVIDIA DVD decoder software is not needed for this..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    > Reality is different for nVidia then -- with Matrox cards, overlays
    > work the same independent of the program you use.

    Maybe.

    > The thing is that hardware accelleration is only available through the
    > driver extension that comes as part of the dvd decoder. (You don't
    > have to use the nVidia player, but it comes with the decoder.) If
    > watching DVD without the nVidia decoder, you are basically doing it
    > all in software, even though the card itself is capable of basic
    > video HW accelleration.
    > Check the CPU use if you don't believe me.

    You're wrong. You don't need the Nvidia software to be able to use the
    6600's hardware acceleration. You need the software to use the other
    functions, but not DVD playback.

    I don't have the Nvidia Decoder software, and playing back a DVD at
    1680x1050 only raises CPU utilisation by 2-3%. And PowerDVD clearly says
    it's using hardware acceleration...

    Benjamin
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > You're wrong. You don't need the Nvidia software to be able to use the
    > 6600's hardware acceleration. You need the software to use the other
    > functions, but not DVD playback.
    >
    > I don't have the Nvidia Decoder software, and playing back a DVD at
    > 1680x1050 only raises CPU utilisation by 2-3%. And PowerDVD clearly says
    > it's using hardware acceleration...

    I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2 decoder
    and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD decoder, there's no
    problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more of the load on the GPU
    than third party decoders do at the moment.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    tq96 wrote:

    > I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2
    > decoder and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD
    > decoder, there's no problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more
    > of the load on the GPU than third party decoders do at the moment.

    Be careful! Apples and oranges! HDTV != DVD!

    Every DVD playback software does make full use of the DVD acceleration
    functions of the GF6600. But if You want to make use of the HDTV functions
    then You need the Nvidia software since at the moment it's the only software
    supporting the HDTV parts of the Geforce 6600 GPUs.

    Benjamin
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > tq96 wrote:
    >
    >> I tried playing some 1080i MPEG2 clips using an Intervideo MPEG2
    >> decoder and my CPU couldn't keep up. When using the NVidia DVD
    >> decoder, there's no problem, so I think the NVidia software puts more
    >> of the load on the GPU than third party decoders do at the moment.
    >
    > Be careful! Apples and oranges! HDTV != DVD!
    >
    > Every DVD playback software does make full use of the DVD acceleration
    > functions of the GF6600. But if You want to make use of the HDTV functions
    > then You need the Nvidia software since at the moment it's the only
    > software supporting the HDTV parts of the Geforce 6600 GPUs.

    While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its performance
    doesn't have anything to do with making use of special features of the
    Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such confidence is that I use it
    with ATI boards, which, whatever else one may say about them, most
    certainly do not have any special nvidia features.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its
    > performance doesn't have anything to do with making use of special
    > features of the Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such
    > confidence is that I use it with ATI boards, which, whatever else one
    > may say about them, most certainly do not have any special nvidia
    > features.

    I think You mix something up. An Nvidia GPU doesn't make the Nvidia Decoder
    faster, but the Nvidia Decoder is (at the moment at least) the only software
    capable of using all the HDTV goodies of the Geforce 6600...

    Benjamin
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> While I second the recommendation for the nvidia decoder, its
    >> performance doesn't have anything to do with making use of special
    >> features of the Geforce GPUs. The reason I say that with such
    >> confidence is that I use it with ATI boards, which, whatever else one
    >> may say about them, most certainly do not have any special nvidia
    >> features.
    >
    > I think You mix something up. An Nvidia GPU doesn't make the Nvidia
    > Decoder faster, but the Nvidia Decoder is (at the moment at least) the
    > only software capable of using all the HDTV goodies of the Geforce 6600...

    I'm curious--what are the HDTV goodies? If there's anything really good
    there I might build a new machine.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate