GeForce4 MX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2005 9:31:34 AM

Just wanna know, are there ANY new games that support the GeForce4
MX??
Thanks.

More about : geforce4

March 13, 2005 9:31:35 AM

Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or DX9
functions.

DaveL

"Sam Hamwich" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> Just wanna know, are there ANY new games that support the GeForce4
> MX??
> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:07:03 AM

DaveL wrote:
> Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or
> DX9 functions.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Sam Hamwich" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>
>> Just wanna know, are there ANY new games that support the GeForce4
>> MX??
>> Thanks.

I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).
March 13, 2005 8:52:08 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:07:03 -0600, deimos <deimos@localhost.net>
wrote:

>DaveL wrote:
>> Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or
>> DX9 functions.
>I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
>DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
>just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
>show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).

I have no problem with games that actually let me play in the lower
res modes. Star Wars Republic Command, for instance, requires a
minimum spec of DX 8.1 /Pixel Shader 1.1, but will allow you to play
if you don't up the graphics configs. Other games, like Thief 3-
Deadly Shadows, Medal of Honor-Pacific Assault and even Silent
Hill-The Room won't even start unless you have the minimum hardware
requirements.
In my opinion, enhanced graphics are not the ideal tradeoff for game
play, and some of these hardware choking games are not the best when
it comes to actual playing, and most game manufacturers code these
games to their own high-standard specs without regard to the
customer's less-than-idea home computers.
Oh, well, I don't suppose ragging about is going to get them to lower
their standards, so it's the old Buy A New Video Card To Play Another
Stupid Game game.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:18:55 AM

> I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
> DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
> just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
> show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).

I know of a specific instance where a game element rendered using
shaders (the primary fire "shield" of the Paladin in UT2004 ECE) just
does not appear when rendered with a 440 MX Go. It appears normally on
my 6600GT. It seems like games check the card's capabilities (will
report if it's capable of a function and if it's emulated or not), and
refuse to use emulated functions.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:20:07 AM

Jim George wrote:
>> I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
>> DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
>> just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
>> show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).
>

> I know of a specific instance where a game element rendered using
> shaders (the primary fire "shield" of the Paladin in UT2004 ECE) just
> does not appear when rendered with a 440 MX Go. It appears normally on
> my 6600GT. It seems like games check the card's capabilities (will
> report if it's capable of a function and if it's emulated or not), and
> refuse to use emulated functions.

It depends on the function that's being used - for example, vertex
shaders can often be emulated in software without a huge performance hit
on hardware that doesn't support them, but trying to emulate a pixel
shader in software would be incredibly slow and therefore isn't done.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada