GeForce4 MX

Just wanna know, are there ANY new games that support the GeForce4
MX??
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about geforce4

    Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or DX9
    functions.

    DaveL

    DaveL wrote:
    > Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or
    > DX9 functions.
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "Sam Hamwich" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Just wanna know, are there ANY new games that support the GeForce4
    >> MX??
    >> Thanks.

    I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
    DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
    just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
    show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:07:03 -0600, deimos <deimos@localhost.net>
    wrote:

    >DaveL wrote:
    >> Yes but only at low resolutions and the card will not display any DX8 or
    >> DX9 functions.
    >I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
    >DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
    >just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
    >show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).

    I have no problem with games that actually let me play in the lower
    res modes. Star Wars Republic Command, for instance, requires a
    minimum spec of DX 8.1 /Pixel Shader 1.1, but will allow you to play
    if you don't up the graphics configs. Other games, like Thief 3-
    Deadly Shadows, Medal of Honor-Pacific Assault and even Silent
    Hill-The Room won't even start unless you have the minimum hardware
    requirements.
    In my opinion, enhanced graphics are not the ideal tradeoff for game
    play, and some of these hardware choking games are not the best when
    it comes to actual playing, and most game manufacturers code these
    games to their own high-standard specs without regard to the
    customer's less-than-idea home computers.
    Oh, well, I don't suppose ragging about is going to get them to lower
    their standards, so it's the old Buy A New Video Card To Play Another
    Stupid Game game.

    > I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
    > DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
    > just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
    > show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).

    I know of a specific instance where a game element rendered using
    shaders (the primary fire "shield" of the Paladin in UT2004 ECE) just
    does not appear when rendered with a 440 MX Go. It appears normally on
    my 6600GT. It seems like games check the card's capabilities (will
    report if it's capable of a function and if it's emulated or not), and
    refuse to use emulated functions.

    Jim George wrote:
    >> I'd like to ad that while a GF4MX (or any MX) will not use specific
    >> DX8/9 functions, their equivalent will be rasterized through D3DHAL or
    >> just not appear. Shaders for example either fail a PS test or don't
    >> show up (i.e. non reflective water, etc).
    >

    > I know of a specific instance where a game element rendered using
    > shaders (the primary fire "shield" of the Paladin in UT2004 ECE) just
    > does not appear when rendered with a 440 MX Go. It appears normally on
    > my 6600GT. It seems like games check the card's capabilities (will
    > report if it's capable of a function and if it's emulated or not), and
    > refuse to use emulated functions.

    It depends on the function that's being used - for example, vertex
    shaders can often be emulated in software without a huge performance hit
    on hardware that doesn't support them, but trying to emulate a pixel
    shader in software would be incredibly slow and therefore isn't done.

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Nvidia Support Games Graphics