mark

Hi,

Does anyone know if the DVI port on the back of the Aeolus FX5900-DV128(E)
card is DVI-I or DVD-D?

Many Thanks

Mark

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if the DVI port on the back of the Aeolus FX5900-DV128(E)
> card is DVI-I or DVD-D?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Mark

Hopefully, it's DVI-I. DVI-I provides BOTH Analogue and Digital output (so
that you can drive either a pure digital LCD screen, or a CRT via a
converter. Did you get an adapter with the card, to convert the DVI output
to a standard VGA output? If so, then it's definitely DVI-I. Seems to me,
there is no real point in a video card providing only DVI-D output.

Steve.

mark

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you reply.

The video card did come with an adaptor which I am currently using to conect
it to a LCD screen that does not have a DVI input.
I am about to purchase another screen with a DVI-D input. Am I correct in
saying that that will work fine with a video card that has a DVI-I output.
If so can you advise on what type of DVI cable I need? Single channel or
Dual channel etc Perhaps you could point me to the correct cable on
www.belkin.co.uk

Many Thanks

Mark

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for you reply.
>
> The video card did come with an adaptor which I am currently using to
> conect it to a LCD screen that does not have a DVI input.
> I am about to purchase another screen with a DVI-D input. Am I correct in
> saying that that will work fine with a video card that has a DVI-I output.
> If so can you advise on what type of DVI cable I need? Single channel or
> Dual channel etc Perhaps you could point me to the correct cable on
> www.belkin.co.uk
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Mark
>
> "stevem" <nobodys@business.but.mine> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if the DVI port on the back of the Aeolus
>>> FX5900-DV128(E) card is DVI-I or DVD-D?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Hopefully, it's DVI-I. DVI-I provides BOTH Analogue and Digital output
>> (so that you can drive either a pure digital LCD screen, or a CRT via a
>> converter. Did you get an adapter with the card, to convert the DVI
>> output to a standard VGA output? If so, then it's definitely DVI-I. Seems
>> to me, there is no real point in a video card providing only DVI-D
>> output.
>>
>> Steve.

Hi Mark,

First, try to find out whether a DVI cable is supplied with the monitor. I
have a Viewsonic VX912
which came with both a VGA and DVI cable, DESPITE the fact that both the
supplier's (Dabs) and
Viewsonic's website said that it didn't. If there is one supplied, then
that's that. If not, simply find the
cheapest DVI-D cable you can find (you do NOT need a DVI-I cable (do they
exist?), as you do not
need analogue capability in the cable). As far as single or dual-channel is
concerned, it is extremely unlikely
you will need dual-channel, unless it's a very high-resolution LCD monitor.
I can't remember the exact break-point,
but certainly 1280x1024 (which is used by 17" and 19" monitors) needs only
single-channel. I suspect that the
next "size up" (1600x1200) will probably be OK on single-channel, but I
could be wrong (it's to do with the
maximum bandwidth of the cable). I'd rather not specify a Belkin cable,
since you should be able to find a cheaper
one somewhere else (DVI cables run from around £12 to £30+). Best you find
your own choice.

Best wishes,
Steve.

Many thanks Steve.