GeForce2 GTS vs GeForce FX5200?

I read one of the newegg customer reviews on a GeForce FX5200 card that
said it benchmarked at 15% lower than their GeForce2 GTS card. Before I
order a $50 or less GeForce FX card, should I just hang on to my GF2 GTS?

Paul

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

It depends on which 5200 you buy. If you get a 128 bit card it will smoke
the GF2.

DaveL

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:53:08 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>It depends on which 5200 you buy. If you get a 128 bit card it will smoke
>the GF2.
>
>DaveL

I agree. I don't know about "smoking" a GF2 GTS/Pro/Ti's ass,
but the 128bit GF GX5200 cards perform around the GF3 Ti200 area.
Unfortunatly, most users go for the cheaper 64bit cards, and that's
why they find it so lacking.
If I where the original poster, I'd either try, and get at
least a GF 6200, or go on eBay, and pick up a cheap GF4 Ti card. The
Ti4200 would smoke an FX5200 any day.

"Paul Singleton" <paul.singleton@comspanusa.net> wrote in message
>I read one of the newegg customer reviews on a GeForce FX5200 card that
>said it benchmarked at 15% lower than their GeForce2 GTS card. Before I
>order a $50 or less GeForce FX card, should I just hang on to my GF2 GTS?
>
> Paul

thats nonsense, the FX cards are bad but not that bad!

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "Paul Singleton" <paul.singleton@comspanusa.net> wrote in message
>> I read one of the newegg customer reviews on a GeForce FX5200 card
>> that said it benchmarked at 15% lower than their GeForce2 GTS card.
<cut>
> thats nonsense, the FX cards are bad but not that bad!

True, my 5200U scores 9600 in 3dmark 2001, clocked at non ultra speeds its
around 8000. I wonder how you get a gf2gts to achieve that ? Plus that you
get DX9, much more texture memory , higher bandwidth (agp x4/8). The 5200
isnt a very attractive card anymore, but a gf2 ..no way