nVIDIA Riva TNT2 Model 64 problem!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 15, 2005 2:56:02 PM

Hi!
I just brought an nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 card (32 Megs) to use on
my AZZA KT-133BX motherboard with AMD Duron 750 Mhz processor. Problem
is when i run games like Prisoner of War and Microsoft Rise of Nations
(Just for checking if it works fine) i get the same error that i got
on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?

-poor helpless dude :(
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:04:24 AM

"wally" <marine_pk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I just brought an nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 card (32 Megs) to use on
> my AZZA KT-133BX motherboard with AMD Duron 750 Mhz processor. Problem
> is when i run games like Prisoner of War and Microsoft Rise of Nations
> (Just for checking if it works fine) i get the same error that i got
> on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
> Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?
>
> -poor helpless dude :(

At a guess I'd say it's due to the TNT2 not having T&L (transform and
lighting). Many modern (ie last few years) games require this on a video
card. You'd need at least a Geforce card for T&L support, even an old
Geforce 256 might manage to run them.

Dan
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:52:45 AM

Game requirements for "Prisoner of War":

http://www.codemasters.com/support/requirements.php?gam...

It looks like it needs a card that supports DirectX 8.1 in hardware, which
is at least a Geforce card.

"Rise of Nations" has system requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnations/features.a...

It also lists an STB Velocity 4400 card as being able to run the game:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnations/support_vi...

The 4400 is (I think) a TNT1 card, so the TNT2 should be at least as
capable. (A TNT2 64 has 64 bit path to video memory rather than the 128 bit
path for a regular TNT2, but that should only affect its performance, not
its features.) It seems like the card should work, but you may need to
update its drivers (www.nvidia.com).

Good luck.

"wally" <marine_pk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I just brought an nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 card (32 Megs) to use on
> my AZZA KT-133BX motherboard with AMD Duron 750 Mhz processor. Problem
> is when i run games like Prisoner of War and Microsoft Rise of Nations
> (Just for checking if it works fine) i get the same error that i got
> on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
> Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?
>
> -poor helpless dude :(
March 16, 2005 2:03:57 AM

On 15 Mar 2005 11:56:02 -0800, marine_pk@yahoo.com (wally) wrote:

>Hi!
> I just brought an nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 card (32 Megs) to use on
>my AZZA KT-133BX motherboard with AMD Duron 750 Mhz processor. Problem
>is when i run games like Prisoner of War and Microsoft Rise of Nations
>(Just for checking if it works fine) i get the same error that i got
>on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
>Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?
>
>-poor helpless dude :(

This card should work. The requirments for Prisoner of War do
say a DirectX 8.1 compatable card, but the lowest videocard mentioned
as being supported is a Voodoo 3, which doesn't even have T&L hardware
much less pixel shader support like DX 8.1 hardware does.
I found that when using WinME, and older with any videocards
these days seems to be unstable. I'm not sure if it is newer driver
sets for these old OSes that are the blame, or the newer DirectX 9. I
was using Win98SE with my GF4 Ti4400 up until when DirectX 9 came out.
I also always used the newest official Nvidia drivers as well. My
system always ran solid, but then I started geting random game crashes
that would corrupt the whole system. Didn't matter if it was a new, or
old game.
After many full formats, and fresh reinstalls of everything, I
moved to Win2k, and all the crashing stopped. I since moved to WinXP
Pro, and haven't had anything major happen. I also am still using the
same hardware I was when I was using Win98SE, and still use the latest
offcial Nvidia drivers. I also had an old TnT2 M64 32MB that I gave to
a friend of mine who still had an old ATI 8MB AGP. I just formatted
her HDD, and installed WinXP Pro on her system with the latest DirectX
9c, an the Nvidia 66.93 drivers. The TnT2 M64 ran fine, although slow,
with the games she wanted to play (some required DX 8.1 cards as
well).
Try uninstalling the driver for the card from the uninstall
menu, then run a pogram like Driver Cleaner to remove all instances of
any videocard drivers. Then reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and see if
that helps.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:59:57 AM

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
news:D 3ef311tjoe4bkqu3ng2g23ua7o18ckl9t@4ax.com...
> On 15 Mar 2005 11:56:02 -0800, marine_pk@yahoo.com (wally) wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>> I just brought an nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 card (32 Megs) to use on
>>my AZZA KT-133BX motherboard with AMD Duron 750 Mhz processor. Problem
>>is when i run games like Prisoner of War and Microsoft Rise of Nations
>>(Just for checking if it works fine) i get the same error that i got
>>on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
>>Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?
>>
>>-poor helpless dude :(
>

> This card should work. The requirments for Prisoner of War do
> say a DirectX 8.1 compatable card, but the lowest videocard mentioned
> as being supported is a Voodoo 3, which doesn't even have T&L hardware
> much less pixel shader support like DX 8.1 hardware does.

It's possible for the Voodoo it has Glide support to get around the T&L
requirement. For the nVidia range it doesn't mention the TNT cards, just
Geforce256, GF2 and higher.

Dan
!