Asus Smart Doctor painful

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2005 8:45:15 PM

I have an Asus v9999 and want to use Smart Doctor for one and only one
reason--to control the fan noise by having the fan respond to the GPU
temperature. This way, the 90% of the time I am not doing anything heavy
duty with the video card, I can enjoy the silence of the very low fan speed.

The Smart Doctor software seems to be very poorly written. Asus has updates
to it every month or so, although I love the fact that at the beginning of
this month they released v. 4.64 and 4.63 on the same day! Which one are
you supposed to use? If it is the obvious--the latest--then why release the
prior one at all?

For a while, an older version suddenly wouldn't read the temperatures at
all. Hence my card was stuck on default full fan speed at all times. After
much effort, I got it working, but it still didn't perform consistently.
Now I have 4.64, which seemed more stable until today. After two weeks of
working properly, now it resets itself to manual fan control after a re-boot
instead of staying on "SmartCooling" like I want it to. Like prior
versions, it will occasionally just stop working after you have been in a 3D
game.

Does anyone know when Asus will get serious and do this utility properly?
Are there any alternatives out there to adjust the fan speed on a video
card--or is it all proprietary?

The card is nice, but the amount of time spent fiddling with this fan
control issue is getting ridiculous.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc Collins
marc_collins@sympatico.ca

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect. Reboot now?
March 16, 2005 4:38:51 PM

Marc Collins wrote:
> I have an Asus v9999 and want to use Smart Doctor for one and only one
> reason--to control the fan noise by having the fan respond to the GPU
> temperature. This way, the 90% of the time I am not doing anything heavy
> duty with the video card, I can enjoy the silence of the very low fan speed.
>
> The Smart Doctor software seems to be very poorly written. Asus has updates
> to it every month or so, although I love the fact that at the beginning of
> this month they released v. 4.64 and 4.63 on the same day! Which one are
> you supposed to use? If it is the obvious--the latest--then why release the
> prior one at all?
>
> For a while, an older version suddenly wouldn't read the temperatures at
> all. Hence my card was stuck on default full fan speed at all times. After
> much effort, I got it working, but it still didn't perform consistently.
> Now I have 4.64, which seemed more stable until today. After two weeks of
> working properly, now it resets itself to manual fan control after a re-boot
> instead of staying on "SmartCooling" like I want it to. Like prior
> versions, it will occasionally just stop working after you have been in a 3D
> game.
>
> Does anyone know when Asus will get serious and do this utility properly?
> Are there any alternatives out there to adjust the fan speed on a video
> card--or is it all proprietary?
>
> The card is nice, but the amount of time spent fiddling with this fan
> control issue is getting ridiculous.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc

get some ear plugs