* DFI LANParty nForce4 boards vs ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge Asus
has in this comparison?

JF Fortier wrote:

> Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
> Asus has in this comparison?

I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that some
of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the letters
"QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.

So they've been around going on 20 years. Always rock-solid. They just
haven't been widely known as a brand because they didn't market to end
users until recently.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Chachi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

J. Clarke wrote:
> JF Fortier wrote:
>

>>Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
>>Asus has in this comparison?
>

> I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
> systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
> came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that some
> of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the letters
> "QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
> because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
> my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
> was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.

lol... "QC" usually means "Quality Checked"
You'll find them on *alot* of things...

> So they've been around going on 20 years. Always rock-solid. They just
> haven't been widely known as a brand because they didn't market to end
> users until recently.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"JF Fortier" <doh@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
> Asus has in this comparison?

DFI has been around a long time. Since 1981. I can remember using DFI boards
putting together PII 333 systems over 7 years ago. Good overclockers as I
recall. Good boards, as good as Asus.

"JF Fortier" <doh@nospam.com> wrote in message

" Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison? "

DFI have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Their LANParty
motherboards regularly top the overclocking leagues, and the UV-sensitive
materials are a favourite with case-modders.

The LANParty nF4 SLi-DR is at the top of a shopping list for my new system.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "JF Fortier" <doh@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> " Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
> Asus has in this comparison? "
>

> DFI have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Their
> LANParty motherboards regularly top the overclocking leagues, and the
> UV-sensitive materials are a favourite with case-modders.

So if you are neither an overclocker or a case-modder, then you'd best go
with the more popular Asus brand, right? (Given the likelyhood of there
being more people to help you out if you encounter any problems with it.)

Chachi wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> JF Fortier wrote:
>>

>>>Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
>>>Asus has in this comparison?
>>

>> I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
>> systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
>> came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that
>> some of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the
>> letters
>> "QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
>> because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
>> my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
>> was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.
>
> lol... "QC" usually means "Quality Checked"
> You'll find them on *alot* of things...

Not with those same odd-shaped stickers you won't. Only place I've ever
seen them is on DFI. And it's not "Quality Checked", it's "Quality
Control".

--

J. Clarke wrote:
> Chachi wrote:
>

>>J. Clarke wrote:

>>>I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
>>>systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
>>>came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that
>>>some of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the
>>>letters
>>>"QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
>>>because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
>>>my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
>>>was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.
>>
>>lol... "QC" usually means "Quality Checked"
>>You'll find them on *alot* of things...
>

> Not with those same odd-shaped stickers you won't. Only place I've ever
> seen them is on DFI. And it's not "Quality Checked", it's "Quality
> Control".

My mistake.... Seemed too easy...