Which one is better card?

Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new card.
Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or Geforce
FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
Life 2 or Doom3?
Thank for any help.
14 answers Last reply
More about which card

    Rayson wrote:
    > Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new card.
    > Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or Geforce
    > FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
    > that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    > However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
    > Life 2 or Doom3?
    > Thank for any help.

    Get the 6200 no matter what. If you can't get it, then don't buy
    anything, just save up and wait. The 5700LE is _worthless_ to you as an
    "upgrade". You'll see only a minor performance improvement in non-DX9
    games and not much at all in stuff like HL2 and Doom3.

    The 6200 itself isn't the best idea for those games, however it is far
    far far far better than a cheap FX. I think you'll be happy with it
    nonetheless, as you're used to a pretty low end performance with the
    5200 and something like this will seem like a giant leap.

    Take a look at Newegg and see if you might be able to swing a 6600 AGP
    variant or just get a good price on a 6200. Best of luck.

    "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new card.
    > Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or Geforce
    > FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
    > that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    > However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
    > Life 2 or Doom3?
    > Thank for any help.

    You might also try the GeForce FX 5900 XT, which is a pretty inexpensive
    budget card but miles ahead of that 5200, which I too have had experience
    with.

    ~Daniel

    FX 5900XT is way off target and at least double price of 6200. I don't
    think it is 'inexpensive'.
    Anyway, my m/b is AGP4X, hopefully the card don't suffer much slowdown and
    workable on it.

    > FX 5900XT is way off target and at least double price of 6200. I don't
    > think it is 'inexpensive'.

    Is $120 USD expensive to you ?? That's what new FX 5900 XT cards go for on
    eBay.

    ~Daniel

    > Anyway, my m/b is AGP4X, hopefully the card don't suffer much slowdown and
    > workable on it.
    >
    > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new
    >> card.
    >> Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or
    >> Geforce
    >> FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
    >> that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    >> However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
    >> Life 2 or Doom3?
    >> Thank for any help.

    I don't think FX5900XT is a budget card and at least double the price of
    6200.
    Anyway, one last question. My m/b is AGP4X, is 6200 workable on my board?

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:13:14 +0800, "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com>
    wrote:

    >I don't think FX5900XT is a budget card and at least double the price of
    >6200.
    >Anyway, one last question. My m/b is AGP4X, is 6200 workable on my board?
    >

    >"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new
    >card.
    >> > Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or
    >Geforce
    >> > FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
    >> > that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    >> > However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
    >> > Life 2 or Doom3?
    >> > Thank for any help.
    >>
    >> You might also try the GeForce FX 5900 XT, which is a pretty inexpensive
    >> budget card but miles ahead of that 5200, which I too have had experience
    >> with.
    >>
    >> ~Daniel

    Yes. It would work on a 4X AGP board. I'm not sure if any are
    being made, but just make sure your not getting a 64bit memory bus
    version if you go for the 6200. Alot of people go for the cheapst
    price they see when picking up budget cards, and usally get a 64bit
    instead of a 128bit memory bus. Then they cry that it's worse than
    what they had. However, I'm not aware of 64bit bus versions of the
    6200 being put out by anyone, but it won't suprise me if they start
    turning up soon.

    >I don't think FX5900XT is a budget card and at least double the price of
    > 6200.

    I continually see new Geforce FX 5900 XT cards go for approx $120 USD on
    eBay. Considering what other cards go for, the 5900 XT is "budget" to me, as
    in getting a performance card for little money. I'm not sure what the 6200
    goes for but if it's more than that and is less than 256 bit then go for the
    5900 XT or the SE (I know the NVGA "SE" is as good).

    ~Daniel

    > Anyway, one last question. My m/b is AGP4X, is 6200 workable on my board?
    >

    > "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new
    > card.
    >> > Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or
    > Geforce
    >> > FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except
    >> > knowing
    >> > that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    >> > However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as
    >> > Half
    >> > Life 2 or Doom3?
    >> > Thank for any help.
    >>
    >> You might also try the GeForce FX 5900 XT, which is a pretty inexpensive
    >> budget card but miles ahead of that 5200, which I too have had experience
    >> with.
    >>
    >> ~Daniel

    Note taken, i will look for 128bit mem bus before purchase.
    Thanks again for all the help, guys, i have decided to buy FX6200.

    "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:13:14 +0800, "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I don't think FX5900XT is a budget card and at least double the price of
    > >6200.
    > >Anyway, one last question. My m/b is AGP4X, is 6200 workable on my board?
    > >

    > >"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > >card.
    > >Geforce
    Half

    > >> You might also try the GeForce FX 5900 XT, which is a pretty
    inexpensive
    > >> budget card but miles ahead of that 5200, which I too have had
    experience
    > >> with.
    > >>
    > >> ~Daniel
    > >>

    > Yes. It would work on a 4X AGP board. I'm not sure if any are
    > being made, but just make sure your not getting a 64bit memory bus
    > version if you go for the 6200. Alot of people go for the cheapst
    > price they see when picking up budget cards, and usally get a 64bit
    > instead of a 128bit memory bus. Then they cry that it's worse than
    > what they had. However, I'm not aware of 64bit bus versions of the
    > 6200 being put out by anyone, but it won't suprise me if they start
    > turning up soon.

    I will keep that in mind and check for the local price here see if any
    special promotion coming around.
    Anyway, 6 series offer newer option and good for future gaming graphics.
    If both card are of same price, i will consider 5900 then, since the card
    indeed faster than 6200
    Thx

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:51:27 +0800 "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> meeped :

    >I will keep that in mind and check for the local price here see if any
    >special promotion coming around.
    >Anyway, 6 series offer newer option and good for future gaming graphics.
    >If both card are of same price, i will consider 5900 then, since the card
    >indeed faster than 6200
    >Thx

    Google "soft mod 6200"... you might be able to unlock some pipes

    can't say USD120 is expensive, just a little bit higher than 6200, but then,
    you forget the shipping cost.

    "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :ofQ%d.754702$6l.243314@pd7tw2no...

    > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > > FX 5900XT is way off target and at least double price of 6200. I don't
    > > think it is 'inexpensive'.
    >
    > Is $120 USD expensive to you ?? That's what new FX 5900 XT cards go for on
    > eBay.
    >
    > ~Daniel
    >
    > > Anyway, my m/b is AGP4X, hopefully the card don't suffer much slowdown
    and
    > > workable on it.
    > >
    > > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new
    > >> card.
    > >> Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or
    > >> Geforce
    > >> FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except
    knowing
    > >> that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    > >> However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as
    Half
    > >> Life 2 or Doom3?
    > >> Thank for any help.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    to granulated:
    unlocking pipeline will it cause damage to the card? I do know tuning the
    core speed might burn the chip but what about pipeline?

    "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :ofQ%d.754702$6l.243314@pd7tw2no...

    > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > > FX 5900XT is way off target and at least double price of 6200. I don't
    > > think it is 'inexpensive'.
    >
    > Is $120 USD expensive to you ?? That's what new FX 5900 XT cards go for on
    > eBay.
    >
    > ~Daniel
    >
    > > Anyway, my m/b is AGP4X, hopefully the card don't suffer much slowdown
    and
    > > workable on it.
    > >
    > > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new
    > >> card.
    > >> Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or
    > >> Geforce
    > >> FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except
    knowing
    > >> that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    > >> However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as
    Half
    > >> Life 2 or Doom3?
    > >> Thank for any help.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Rayson wrote:
    > to granulated:
    > unlocking pipeline will it cause damage to the card? I do know tuning the
    > core speed might burn the chip but what about pipeline?

    It shouldn't damage anything.. however it may not work properly (some of
    the disabled pipelines on the chip might be that way because they're
    faulty).

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    a Geforce 6200 AGP beating a 9800xt (when the 6200 is tweaked using riva
    tuner)

    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=877533
    "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am using a Geforce FX5200 and think it is time to change a new card.
    > Due to tight budget, i can only choose between Geforce FX5700LE or Geforce
    > FX6200. I can't find any site that can compare both card except knowing
    > that they are of different design with 6200 have more advance features.
    > However, in real gaming world, which one is better for game such as Half
    > Life 2 or Doom3?
    > Thank for any help.

Nvidia Geforce Graphics