Older equipment question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2005 11:08:45 PM

Hello!
My last upgrades in PC equipment were from the combinations of
K6-2 300 + Riva TNT
K6-2 550 + Riva TNT2
AMD Duron 1600 Geforce 2 MX and the last change to a cheap Geforce 2 Ti
from Ebay.

I´m now considering to raise my overall system perfomance a bit (not to
modern standards, as I never play 3D-Shooters like Doom/Halflife/Quake
and such).

What would in the current situation bring a better raise in performance
with a limited budget:
A faster graphicscard, e.g. Geforce3
Or a faster CPU, e.g. an Athlon which also fits on my mainboard?
bye
Michael
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:08:46 PM

Michael Romes wrote:
> Hello!
> My last upgrades in PC equipment were from the combinations of
> K6-2 300 + Riva TNT
> K6-2 550 + Riva TNT2
> AMD Duron 1600 Geforce 2 MX and the last change to a cheap Geforce 2 Ti
> from Ebay.
>
> I´m now considering to raise my overall system perfomance a bit (not to
> modern standards, as I never play 3D-Shooters like Doom/Halflife/Quake
> and such).
>
> What would in the current situation bring a better raise in performance
> with a limited budget:
> A faster graphicscard, e.g. Geforce3
> Or a faster CPU, e.g. an Athlon which also fits on my mainboard?
> bye
> Michael

So you've got a 1600+ Duron with a GF2MX and unknown RAM -- I'd say
you're pretty much looking at the low end FX cards if you're continuing
a bad trend. Since you don't do much gaming, the graphics card is the
least important aspect to your overall system.

First and foremost -- get a new motherboard to work with. A KT400 or
good Nforce 2 Ultra won't set you back much at all and are SUPREMELY
stable while offering excellent memory performance.

Second, get a Barton core Athlon XP or better. These are in the 2400+
to 3200+ range and a newer core is in the 3400 and above, but may not be
compatible with your motherboard (check for a BIOS update first before
getting a MB).

And last, I'm guessing your RAM isn't the greatest. So a reasonable
512MB PC3200 DDR will get you through most things outside gaming for the
foreseeable future. But hey what about a new HD too? :)

For you, overall system throughput and stability will be the most
important things to look for. Whatever you decide, a new motherboard
gives you maximum upgrade flexibility. You can probably just transfer
most of your hardware you have now, plus gain stability, then move on
and get upgrades at your own pace.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:05:00 AM

deimos schrieb:
> So you've got a 1600+ Duron with a GF2MX and unknown RAM

No, the last change had been to a Geforce 2 Ti, after I removed the
Geforce 2 MX. The RAM in the PC is 256 MB.

-- I'd say
> you're pretty much looking at the low end FX cards if you're continuing
> a bad trend. Since you don't do much gaming, the graphics card is the
> least important aspect to your overall system.

I do use my PC for gaming - just not for 3D Shooters.
bye
Michael
March 24, 2005 11:35:47 PM

"Michael Romes" <NetterNachbar6@lycos.de> wrote in message
news:D 1pqfu$ldg$04$1@news.t-online.com...
> Hello!
> My last upgrades in PC equipment were from the combinations of
> K6-2 300 + Riva TNT
> K6-2 550 + Riva TNT2
> AMD Duron 1600 Geforce 2 MX and the last change to a cheap Geforce 2 Ti
> from Ebay.
>
> I´m now considering to raise my overall system perfomance a bit (not to
> modern standards, as I never play 3D-Shooters like Doom/Halflife/Quake
> and such).
>
> What would in the current situation bring a better raise in performance
> with a limited budget:
> A faster graphicscard, e.g. Geforce3
> Or a faster CPU, e.g. an Athlon which also fits on my mainboard?
> bye
> Michael

What operating System.Windows 2000 and XP do a hell of a lot better with
512+ ram. Sorry to say,your PC is 4 years out of date.
Check out this link for a very good starting point.

http://www.usa-pccity.com/mall/desktopone.asp?type=0195...
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:23:49 AM

dawg schrieb:
> What operating System.Windows 2000 and XP do a hell of a lot better with
> 512+ ram. Sorry to say,your PC is 4 years out of date.
> Check out this link for a very good starting point.
> http://www.usa-pccity.com/mall/desktopone.asp?type=0195...

The OS is still Windows 98SE - and I do not expect to get the PC up to
date, just to get it a bit faster than it is now, preferably with
minimal investment, which means buying used from Ebay or other sources.
bye
Michael
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:22:07 PM

To specify my question:

I found this chart on tomshardware for a game that I have on my PC
(Aquanox):
> http://www.de.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgachar...

My Geforce 2 Ti has a value there of 32,5 (for an Athlon with 1000 Mhz -
I run a Duron with 1600 Mhz).

I would like to improve the speed of the card by at least 50% so that I
really can notice a difference, so according to that chart a Geforce 3
or Geforce 3 Ti 500 or better would be sufficient.

How is it possible that the Geforce 3 Ti 200 is slower than the Geforce
3 Ti?

Would, if I choose a Geforce 3, the Duron 1600 be fast enough to allow
the graphicscard to run at full speed?
bye
Michael

!