Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

beginner attempting new network and/or file sharing

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 1:51:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

hi. i am trying to network 2 home pcs together. i have an xp home desktop and an xp prof laptop. currently, i acess the internet through a wireless linksys router with cable transport. i have run the network wizard on both pcs choosing the "Other" option in the "how does my pc connect to the internet". i stay with the default choice "through shared hub". in both cases, the wizard runs and finishes. when i attempt to view pcs in the workgroup, the desktop only sees itself, the laptop is denied access to the workgroup and referes me to system admin. two things that i suspect: 1. i have not set one pc as the admin and the other as the client <i don't know how> and 2. i have not created a network disk from either. Am I doing this worng?
April 12, 2004 5:01:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:51:04 -0700, "user in mn"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi. i am trying to network 2 home pcs together. i have an xp home desktop and an xp prof laptop. currently, i acess the internet through a wireless linksys router with cable transport. i have run the network wizard on both pcs choosing the "Other" option in the "how does my pc connect to the internet". i stay with the default choice "through shared hub". in both cases, the wizard runs and finishes. when i attempt to view pcs in the workgroup, the desktop only sees itself, the laptop is denied access to the workgroup and referes me to system admin. two things that i suspect: 1. i have not set one pc as the admin and the other as the client <i don't know how> and 2. i have not created a network disk from either. Am I doing this worng?

If you're using a router, "This computer connects thru a gateway or another
computer" is the correct choice.

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in
Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.

When that's working, from each computer, check connectivity:
1) Ping the other by name.
2) Ping the other by ip address.
3) Ping itself by name.
4) Ping itself by ip address.
5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
6) Ping the router.
Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.

On the XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro
sharing a LAN with XP Home, you should enable SFS.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 6:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Chuck, I beleive you'll need to run "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" at the
command prompt.


________________
Eric


"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
news:o rll70pj89i09ckkmsbbbq1p3cbm2a868q@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:51:04 -0700, "user in mn"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >hi. i am trying to network 2 home pcs together. i have an xp home
desktop and an xp prof laptop. currently, i acess the internet through a
wireless linksys router with cable transport. i have run the network wizard
on both pcs choosing the "Other" option in the "how does my pc connect to
the internet". i stay with the default choice "through shared hub". in
both cases, the wizard runs and finishes. when i attempt to view pcs in the
workgroup, the desktop only sees itself, the laptop is denied access to the
workgroup and referes me to system admin. two things that i suspect: 1. i
have not set one pc as the admin and the other as the client <i don't know
how> and 2. i have not created a network disk from either. Am I doing this
worng?
>
> If you're using a router, "This computer connects thru a gateway or
another
> computer" is the correct choice.
>
> Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
> Start - Run - "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in
> Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
>
> When that's working, from each computer, check connectivity:
> 1) Ping the other by name.
> 2) Ping the other by ip address.
> 3) Ping itself by name.
> 4) Ping itself by ip address.
> 5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
> 6) Ping the router.
> Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.
>
> On the XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control
Panel -
> Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With
XP Pro
> sharing a LAN with XP Home, you should enable SFS.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 1:16:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I have access to the internet from a desktop via the wired portion of a router and a laptop via the same router, only wireless. It is working nicely at this point in terms of internet access. However, I cannot seem to share files and the printer. The files and printer are on the desktop computer with XP Home - and I am hoping that operating system is not the root of the problem, but I don't know.

I am repeating the previous instructions in hope of some assistance. Thanks ahead of time.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : StewartMobile
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-77-B2-AD
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.12.16.25 68.12.16.30 68.2.16.30
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, April 13, 2004 10:35:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 14, 2004 10:35:51 PM

From laptop:
Ping desktop by name: no response - no surprise. It associated the name with an ip address.
Ping desktop by ip: responded nicely - slightly surprised.
Ping laptop by name: responded nicely - no surprise.
Ping laptop by ip: responded nicely - no surprise.
Ping 127.0.0.1: responded nicely.
Ping router: responded nicely.

From desktop:
Ping desktop by name: responded nicely.
Ping desktop by IP: responded nicely.
ping laptop by name: no response - no surprise by now.
ping laptop by ip: no response - slightly surprised.
ping 127.0.0.1: responded.
ping router: responded.

Using Simple File Sharing is checked off per your earlier note.

Thanks, David

----- Chuck wrote: -----

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:51:04 -0700, "user in mn"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi. i am trying to network 2 home pcs together. i have an xp home desktop and an xp prof laptop. currently, i acess the internet through a wireless linksys router with cable transport. i have run the network wizard on both pcs choosing the "Other" option in the "how does my pc connect to the internet". i stay with the default choice "through shared hub". in both cases, the wizard runs and finishes. when i attempt to view pcs in the workgroup, the desktop only sees itself, the laptop is denied access to the workgroup and referes me to system admin. two things that i suspect: 1. i have not set one pc as the admin and the other as the client <i don't know how> and 2. i have not created a network disk from either. Am I doing this worng?

If you're using a router, "This computer connects thru a gateway or another
computer" is the correct choice.

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in
Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.

When that's working, from each computer, check connectivity:
1) Ping the other by name.
2) Ping the other by ip address.
3) Ping itself by name.
4) Ping itself by ip address.
5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
6) Ping the router.
Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.

On the XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro
sharing a LAN with XP Home, you should enable SFS.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
April 23, 2004 11:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:16:02 -0700, Different User-Same Problem
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have access to the internet from a desktop via the wired portion of a router and a laptop via the same router, only wireless. It is working nicely at this point in terms of internet access. However, I cannot seem to share files and the printer. The files and printer are on the desktop computer with XP Home - and I am hoping that operating system is not the root of the problem, but I don't know.

Hi,

Please start a new topic for help. This will benefit both you, and the OP.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
!