Need help installing a new 6600GT AGP card...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2005 2:37:43 PM

Hi all,
I just ordered a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (and haven't received it yet). I
would appreciate if you could give me some comments and help on the

following questions:

- I currently have a FX-5200 and I'm going to replace it with this
6600GT. Can I just install the card, then go to hardware->device
manager then

"display adapter" and use "update driver" tab to update the video
driver or am I really supposed to manually remove the old video driver,

install the new card, then install a new driver?

- I looked under control panel ->add/remove programs and there are 2
Nvidia installed: 1 is "Nvidia driver" and another one is "Nvidia
NForce

driver". Is "Nvidia driver" my old video driver? Is there a way to find
out what it really is before I click on "remove"?

- What's a best Nvidia driver version that I should use for my 6600GT?
Should I just go to Nvidia site and get whatever latest version of
their

Forceware Video driver?

- Last, before I do anything, if I save a restore point under Windows
XP, will it restore everything back to the saved restore point
(including

deleted drivers)?

I would really appreciate any help you can give.
Thank you very much in advance.
-mike-
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:22:16 PM

Hi Alfred,
Thank you for the reply. Why do I need to uninstall my Nvidia Nforce
driver? It's for my Shuttle AN35 Ultra Nforce2 motherboard chipset
driver, right? Or does the Forceware come with both video driver and
Nforce2 chipset driver?
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:26:49 PM

Thank you, Steve.
I read the driver installation on Nvidia's site and it recommends to
use control panel, add/remove program to remove "Nvidia Adapter Driver"
or "Nvidia display driver". But on my system (Win Xp SP1), under
add/remove program there is one called "Nvidia Driver"
(and another one the "Nvidia NForce Driver") and I assume "Nvidia
Driver" is the one. Do you know if there is a way to tell what exactly
it is?
-Mike-
March 24, 2005 12:15:10 AM

On 23 Mar 2005 11:37:43 -0800, johndoe_rider@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>I just ordered a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (and haven't received it yet). I
>would appreciate if you could give me some comments and help on the
>
>following questions:
>
>- I currently have a FX-5200 and I'm going to replace it with this
>6600GT. Can I just install the card, then go to hardware->device
>manager then

When you get your package go to the Nvidia website and make sure you
have the latest driver. Download if you do not.

Before you take out the old video card, goto add/remove in the control
panel and then remove the Nvidia Nforce and the Nvidia driver.

Install the new video card and when the operating system comes up it
should find the new hardware. Just keep saying NO.

When the operating system is up either stick in the CD to install or
click on the driver you downloaded.

After the reboot you are done.

Ak
March 24, 2005 4:49:58 AM

Hi Mike,

I don't want to pre-empt others who would know better than I, but I would
urge you NOT to uninstall the Nforce drivers! As you rightly say, they are
for the motherboard, NOT the video card!. By all means uninstall the video
driver (this is the correct way to do it), but NOT the Nforce driver! As I
say, others who know more about Nforce will hopefully weigh in, but in the
meantime, PLEASE wait!

Regards,

Steve

<johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Alfred,
> Thank you for the reply. Why do I need to uninstall my Nvidia Nforce
> driver? It's for my Shuttle AN35 Ultra Nforce2 motherboard chipset
> driver, right? Or does the Forceware come with both video driver and
> Nforce2 chipset driver?

March 24, 2005 4:00:27 PM

> Thank you, Steve.
> I read the driver installation on Nvidia's site and it recommends to
> use control panel, add/remove program to remove "Nvidia Adapter Driver"
> or "Nvidia display driver". But on my system (Win Xp SP1), under
> add/remove program there is one called "Nvidia Driver"
> (and another one the "Nvidia NForce Driver") and I assume "Nvidia
> Driver" is the one. Do you know if there is a way to tell what exactly
> it is?
> -Mike-

Mike,
On my system (Win XP SP2) it also says Nvidia Driver; don't know of any
definite way to establish what it is, except if you click change/remove, the
box which comes up says something to the effect "This will remove the Nvidia
Display Driver", so I suppose that's as good as anything.
Regards,
Steve.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:27:24 PM

stevem wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I don't want to pre-empt others who would know better than I, but I
> would urge you NOT to uninstall the Nforce drivers! As you rightly
> say, they are for the motherboard, NOT the video card!. By all means
> uninstall the video driver (this is the correct way to do it), but
> NOT the Nforce driver! As I say, others who know more about Nforce
> will hopefully weigh in, but in the meantime, PLEASE wait!
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Alfred,
>> Thank you for the reply. Why do I need to uninstall my Nvidia Nforce
>> driver? It's for my Shuttle AN35 Ultra Nforce2 motherboard chipset
>> driver, right? Or does the Forceware come with both video driver and
>> Nforce2 chipset driver?`

For whats its worth, (probably not alot) I would simply plug in the 6600 and
then update the driver. Nvidia have had universal drivers for a long time
now. They won't conflict with anything. Some people are so stuck in the
90s
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:27:25 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:27:24 +1200, "cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote:

>stevem wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I don't want to pre-empt others who would know better than I, but I
>> would urge you NOT to uninstall the Nforce drivers! As you rightly
>> say, they are for the motherboard, NOT the video card!. By all means
>> uninstall the video driver (this is the correct way to do it), but
>> NOT the Nforce driver! As I say, others who know more about Nforce
>> will hopefully weigh in, but in the meantime, PLEASE wait!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Alfred,
>>> Thank you for the reply. Why do I need to uninstall my Nvidia Nforce
>>> driver? It's for my Shuttle AN35 Ultra Nforce2 motherboard chipset
>>> driver, right? Or does the Forceware come with both video driver and
>>> Nforce2 chipset driver?`
>

>For whats its worth, (probably not alot) I would simply plug in the 6600 and
>then update the driver. Nvidia have had universal drivers for a long time
>now. They won't conflict with anything. Some people are so stuck in the
>90s

No. Even though Nvidia says they are unifided, that just means
that all driver instances are rolled into one install package. If he
had an FX5200, then registry settings where made that adhere to the
5200 chipset. Leaving those driver instances would either limit the
cards performance, or cause rendering problems all around. I'd
uninstall the Nvidia display driver, and leave the current Nforce
driver installed. Then I'd install the new video card, and boot into
safe mode. Then use Driver Cleaner to delete any leftover driver
instances from previous videocard drivers, then I'd install the Nvidia
Display driver for the 6600GT.
It's a few extra steps, but it's simple, and it sets the
system up for a clean driver install.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:11:41 PM

Larry Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:27:24 +1200, "cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote:
>

>> stevem wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I don't want to pre-empt others who would know better than I, but I
>>> would urge you NOT to uninstall the Nforce drivers! As you rightly
>>> say, they are for the motherboard, NOT the video card!. By all means
>>> uninstall the video driver (this is the correct way to do it), but
>>> NOT the Nforce driver! As I say, others who know more about Nforce
>>> will hopefully weigh in, but in the meantime, PLEASE wait!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> For whats its worth, (probably not alot) I would simply plug in the
>> 6600 and then update the driver. Nvidia have had universal drivers
>> for a long time now. They won't conflict with anything. Some
>> people are so stuck in the 90s
>>

> No. Even though Nvidia says they are unifided, that just means
> that all driver instances are rolled into one install package. If he
> had an FX5200, then registry settings where made that adhere to the
> 5200 chipset.

No. Just no. If you pull out a fx5200 and put in a MX440 for instance are
you saying the machine will still be capable of displaying DX9 specific
instructions?

>Leaving those driver instances would either limit the
> cards performance, or cause rendering problems all around.

No. And especially if you install a later driver after putting in the new
card. Going back a driver can cause some trouble if the machine doesn't
want to overwrite newer files but updating has never caused me issue anyhow.
Rendering problems *could* possibly (1/110000) come of it but then install a
newer driver and all will be good. No way loss of performance will occur.

>I'd
> uninstall the Nvidia display driver, and leave the current Nforce
> driver installed. Then I'd install the new video card, and boot into
> safe mode. Then use Driver Cleaner to delete any leftover driver
> instances from previous videocard drivers, then I'd install the Nvidia
> Display driver for the 6600GT.
> It's a few extra steps, but it's simple, and it sets the
> system up for a clean driver install.

Just for arguments sake, what would you suggest you do if already running
the latest Nvidia driver?

Uninstall it and reg clean and then reinstall the sasme driver?
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:05:30 AM

Thank you all, for your inputs.
I installed my 6600GT yesterday and everything went fine: I use
add/remove to uninstall Nvidia's display driver, boot to safe mode,
then ran "driver cleaner" and installed Nvidia 66.93 driver (as I heard
that Nvidia's latest 71.84 had a bug that increase the core temperature
by 5 to 10 degree C so I didn't give it a try).

Now a minor problem: my monitor is a Mitsubishi 19" model 930SB and it
has DDC/CI. My old FX5200 has support and the monitor can communicate
with my FX5200 so that all controls can be set with Windows display
properties. Now it seems that my new 6600GT doesn't support DDC/CI as
Windows display properties said that "no DCC/CI monitor found". I can't
find any info to confirm this. Does anybody knows?
Thanks again.
-Mike-
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:11:22 AM

Both cards can use the same driver. Just get the latest vesion and do a
refresh in Device manager after you install the ne card.
> Hi all,
> I just ordered a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (and haven't received it yet). I
> would appreciate if you could give me some comments and help on the
>
> following questions:
>
> - I currently have a FX-5200 and I'm going to replace it with this
> 6600GT. Can I just install the card, then go to hardware->device
> manager then
>
> "display adapter" and use "update driver" tab to update the video
> driver or am I really supposed to manually remove the old video driver,
>

> install the new card, then install a new driver?
>
> - I looked under control panel ->add/remove programs and there are 2
> Nvidia installed: 1 is "Nvidia driver" and another one is "Nvidia
> NForce
>
> driver". Is "Nvidia driver" my old video driver? Is there a way to find
> out what it really is before I click on "remove"?
>
> - What's a best Nvidia driver version that I should use for my 6600GT?
> Should I just go to Nvidia site and get whatever latest version of
> their
>
> Forceware Video driver?
>
> - Last, before I do anything, if I save a restore point under Windows
> XP, will it restore everything back to the saved restore point
> (including
>
> deleted drivers)?
>
> I would really appreciate any help you can give.
> Thank you very much in advance.
> -mike-

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:16:30 AM

> Thank you all, for your inputs.
> I installed my 6600GT yesterday and everything went fine: I use
> add/remove to uninstall Nvidia's display driver, boot to safe mode,
> then ran "driver cleaner" and installed Nvidia 66.93 driver (as I heard
> that Nvidia's latest 71.84 had a bug that increase the core temperature
> by 5 to 10 degree C so I didn't give it a try).
>
> Now a minor problem: my monitor is a Mitsubishi 19" model 930SB and it
> has DDC/CI. My old FX5200 has support and the monitor can communicate
> with my FX5200 so that all controls can be set with Windows display
> properties. Now it seems that my new 6600GT doesn't support DDC/CI as
> Windows display properties said that "no DCC/CI monitor found". I can't
> find any info to confirm this. Does anybody knows?
> Thanks again.
> -Mike-

Have you gone to nvidia's website yet. Might be something there.
!