6600gt power issue

Hi... I need some suggestions from anyone who's encountered trouble
installing a 6600gt, or anyone who knows the operational details of the
NVIDIA Sentinel.

I have an AOpen Aeolus 6600gt AGP that I'm trying to run on an older system.
The problem is that when Windows starts, I get a message saying that the
NVidia Sentinel has detected insufficient power, and that the card is being
powered down for its own protection.

When I first saw this, I thought that perhaps my power supply was
insufficient, so I tried changing the molex connector. No difference. I
had an extra PSU kicking around, so I've currently got that running
everything but the motherboard and the graphics card, which are the only
things now on my 300W PSU. I still get the same error message, even with
18A available on the +12 V rail.

I've picked up all the latest motherboard drivers, chipset drivers,
Forceware 71.84, etc., but that hasn't made a difference. I've checked the
temperature, and it's running a consistent 40 or 41 C. I tried disabling
fast writes. I've unplugged and replugged both the molex connector and the
card about a hundred times.

I got worried that perhaps the card was bad, so I took the card to another,
newer machine, and plugged it in. It worked perfectly, the first time, with
no power warnings (and all features enabled).

I have read reports on the Internet about people with similar systems to
mine getting a 6600gt going, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any
suggestions. I've also heard things about the 6600gt reacting negatively to
the 761 Northbridge on some AMD boards, but I haven't picked up any
specifics of the problems. In addition, I'm using WinME on this machine
(the machine it worked on was XP64), and the Aeolus is, according to the
box, just for WinXP/2000, so perhaps that is causing problems, although I'd
suspect that the NVIDIA Sentinel would be solely a hardware thing, and
independent of OS. On the other hand, I have the card operating. There are
no problems with artifacts, or reboots, or anything like that. It's just
not picking up on the fact that I've got it plugged in, so I don't get neat
stuff like an operational pixel shader.

My specs are:
1.4 GHz Athlon Tbird
Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo
256 MB RAM
hard drive, dvd, cd, etc.... all that's being powered on the other PSU.
Windows ME

All I can think of is that it's a PSU connection problem (except that it
worked immediately on the other system), or it's an OS conflict with the
NVIDIA Sentinel thing, or perhaps I can't use the NVIDIA-supplied drivers
and must rely on the ones supplied by AOpen (which would be really weird).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and any that help will be rewarded
with limericks or something. :)

Thanks,

Glen

I had the same problem with a 6800ultra (EVGA) card. Drove me crazy for a
month. After trying two new power supplies, and every bios power management
setting possible, I convinced EVGA to send me a new card. Worked
flawlessly, no problems at all, ever. I even put the old power supply back,
just for fun, and no power problems.

"Glen McNamara" <mglen1@telus.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> are
> no problems with artifacts, or reboots, or anything like that. It's just
> not picking up on the fact that I've got it plugged in, so I don't get
> neat
> stuff like an operational pixel shader.
>
> My specs are:
> 1.4 GHz Athlon Tbird
> Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo
> 256 MB RAM
> hard drive, dvd, cd, etc.... all that's being powered on the other PSU.
> Windows ME
>
> All I can think of is that it's a PSU connection problem (except that it
> worked immediately on the other system), or it's an OS conflict with the
> NVIDIA Sentinel thing, or perhaps I can't use the NVIDIA-supplied drivers
> and must rely on the ones supplied by AOpen (which would be really weird).
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and any that help will be

Did it work on another system, too? Is it just that these things are picky
about which systems they're being installed in?

"Dave C." <dcc@geosurv.com> wrote in message
> [...]
just
> > not picking up on the fact that I've got it plugged in, so I don't get
> > neat
> > stuff like an operational pixel shader.
> >
> > My specs are:
> > 1.4 GHz Athlon Tbird
> > Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo
> > 256 MB RAM
> > hard drive, dvd, cd, etc.... all that's being powered on the other PSU.
> > Windows ME
> >
> > All I can think of is that it's a PSU connection problem (except that it
> > worked immediately on the other system), or it's an OS conflict with the
> > NVIDIA Sentinel thing, or perhaps I can't use the NVIDIA-supplied
drivers
> > and must rely on the ones supplied by AOpen (which would be really
weird).

> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and any that help will be

Actually, I bought two identical cards, one for me and one for my son. I
had problems with mine from the start. EVGA ask me try the card in another
machine, but I didn't have one. When my son came home for Christmas break,
he brought his card with him. I ran it for two weeks in my computer with no
power or crash issues. When I explained that to EVGA they issued a rma, and
sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement has developed a
memory issue and will have to be replaced as well. I've had a couple of
other EVGA cards, and have never had a problem. Maybe the 6800ultra are
just a little shaky? I wonder how the 6800's from other mfg's are?

> [...]
>> > neat
>> > stuff like an operational pixel shader.
>> >
>> > My specs are:
>> > 1.4 GHz Athlon Tbird
>> > Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo
>> > 256 MB RAM
>> > hard drive, dvd, cd, etc.... all that's being powered on the other PSU.
>> > Windows ME
>> >
>> > All I can think of is that it's a PSU connection problem (except that
>> > it
>> > worked immediately on the other system), or it's an OS conflict with
>> > the
>> > NVIDIA Sentinel thing, or perhaps I can't use the NVIDIA-supplied
> drivers
>> > and must rely on the ones supplied by AOpen (which would be really
> weird).
>> >
>> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and any that help will be

Okay, I'll go talk to my retailer and see what they can do for me...

Thank you very much.

> Actually, I bought two identical cards, one for me and one for my son. I
> had problems with mine from the start. EVGA ask me try the card in
another
> machine, but I didn't have one. When my son came home for Christmas
break,
> he brought his card with him. I ran it for two weeks in my computer with
no
> power or crash issues. When I explained that to EVGA they issued a rma,
and
> sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement has developed a
> memory issue and will have to be replaced as well. I've had a couple of
> other EVGA cards, and have never had a problem. Maybe the 6800ultra are
> just a little shaky? I wonder how the 6800's from other mfg's are?
>

> "Glen McNamara" <mglen1@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Did it work on another system, too? Is it just that these things are
> > picky
> > about which systems they're being installed in?
> >
> > "Dave C." <dcc@geosurv.com> wrote in message
> >> I had the same problem with a 6800ultra (EVGA) card. Drove me crazy
for
> >> month. After trying two new power supplies, and every bios power
> > management
> >> setting possible, I convinced EVGA to send me a new card. Worked
> >> flawlessly, no problems at all, ever. I even put the old power supply
> > back,
> >> just for fun, and no power problems.
> >>

> >> "Glen McNamara" <mglen1@telus.net> wrote in message

> > with

> > disabling

> > negatively
> > just

PSU.

> > drivers
> > weird).

What brand of card do you have? Just curious...

> Okay, I'll go talk to my retailer and see what they can do for me...
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> "Dave C." <dcc@geosurv.com> wrote in message
>> Actually, I bought two identical cards, one for me and one for my son. I
>> had problems with mine from the start. EVGA ask me try the card in
> another
>> machine, but I didn't have one. When my son came home for Christmas
> break,
>> he brought his card with him. I ran it for two weeks in my computer with
> no
>> power or crash issues. When I explained that to EVGA they issued a rma,
> and
>> sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement has developed a
>> memory issue and will have to be replaced as well. I've had a couple of
>> other EVGA cards, and have never had a problem. Maybe the 6800ultra are
>> just a little shaky? I wonder how the 6800's from other mfg's are?
>>

>> "Glen McNamara" <mglen1@telus.net> wrote in message
>> > Did it work on another system, too? Is it just that these things are
>> > picky
>> > about which systems they're being installed in?
>> >
>> > "Dave C." <dcc@geosurv.com> wrote in message
> for
>> > management
>> > back,

> the

> difference.
>> > with

> checked
>> > disabling
> and

> time,

>> > negatively
> although
> and
>> > just
> get

> PSU.

>> > drivers
>> > weird).

I'm afraid I do not have a fix for your problem as I am having similar
issues with a new PNY 6600GT.
I also get the Nview warning that the card is getting insufficent
power and is operating at lower specs (believe me they are not
kidding, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory chokes on this card running at
"lowered" specs).
I put in a brand new highly rated power supply (600 watts) and this
did not fix the problem. Actually I have determined that it is not an
issue with my new or my old power supply.
System:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB ver 1.04 with latest BIOS, Nforce drivers.
AMD Barton 3200+
1GB DDR RAM.
WinXP Pro with all updates.
Latest Nvidia Video drivers.
(All drivers updated as of 9 April 05)

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be a video card quality
control issue or a motherboard issue? This is a frustrating issue as
I have tried all the workarounds such as disconnecting hard drives,
etc, and simply cannot get the card running properly; meanwhile my
old Geforce4 Ti4600 runs merrily away running SCCT at 1024x768.

One word of caution about purchasing PNY cards: When I contacted PNY
Tech Support the Techrep stated they only warranty cards bought from
"authorized" retailers. I purchased a brand new retail version in an
unopened and thoroughly sealded box on Ebay and am basically out of
luck. Oh, and before you install a PNY card record the serial number
( NOT labeled as such) from the card. There are several stickers
labeled "Made in China" on the card. The sticker with numbers BELOW
the "Made in China" carries the serial number. You need this to
register your PNY product on the PNY support website. As far as I can
tell the "proof of purchase data " on the retail box is useless.

"Ansbacher" <johnvail@vail-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I'm afraid I do not have a fix for your problem as I am having similar
> issues with a new PNY 6600GT.
> I also get the Nview warning that the card is getting insufficent
> power and is operating at lower specs (believe me they are not
> kidding, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory chokes on this card running at
> "lowered" specs).
> I put in a brand new highly rated power supply (600 watts) and this
> did not fix the problem. Actually I have determined that it is not an
> issue with my new or my old power supply.
I had the same problem with my FX5900XT all of a sudden after months of
flawless operation. Turned out that my heatsink had not done the job for
some reason 'cause when I checked the cpu temp, it was cooled down from
whatever high temp it had gone to, to 69c. It seems that the throttle-down
was using power that the gfx card needed. YMMV.
Silvertip