Net Q: Lost LAN connection

PROBLEM:
I somehow lost network connection to a WinXP (SP1) computer on the LAN despite everything looking ok.

OVERVIEW:
- Using DHCP to acquire IP (release/renew no results, gets 0.0.0.0 on reboot) - It's not getting an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41)
- The lights on the NIC card and the router are lit, indicating a good connection, I've tried different ports on the router
- No problems reported by Device Manager
- LAN is ok, connected right now on my laptop (through router to cable modem to net)
- Using Client for MS Networks and TCP/IP protocol
- LAN Connection Icon (bottom-right near clock) indicates proper connection

ALREADY TRIED THE FOLLOWING (none worked):
- ipconfig release & renew (error: "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation")
- unplug NIC, reboot, plug NIC back in
- Deleting old machine entry from web-based router tools
- change to bogus workgroup name, reboot, change back to proper workgroup
- give static ip and reboot
- changed network cable

Suggestions?
14 answers Last reply
More about lost connection
  1. try releting and adding TCP/IP If that doesn't work you might have a bad NIC

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  2. Good suggestion and it works under previous versions of NT but you can't delete TCP/IP in XP (or the method is different from that of NT/2000). I thought I found it in an obscure BIOS setting (wake on RING?) but no dice. I've tried different NIC in a different slot with same negative results.

I tried booting to safe mode and remove all NIC devices but was unable to remove my old NIC "ADMTek AN983 based ethernet adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport" due to error: Failed to uninstall, device may be required to boot up computer. What gives with that?

I can ping localhost but cannot ping by hostname - strange?
  3. can you ping by IP?

4. do ou possibly have ICS enabled on the machine in question? If so it should be disabled... just wondering

5. No ISC enabled, I'm going through router/hub connected to cable modem.

ping 127.0.0.1 and localhost work
    cannot ping gateway and ipconfig shows my IP as 0.0.0.0

I even tried to reinstall the TCP/IP stack (different on XP - here is link: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299357) to no avail. ARGH!

What's left? Can I safely reinstall XP?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RLymburner on 12/02/02 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  6. yes, you can re=install XP. any chance of trying a different NIC?

7. Good suggestion but tried different NIC, even in different PCI slot as well as different cable and even in different port on the router. ARGH!

What are advantages/disadvantages of reinstalling XP? At what point do I throw my hands up and just do it?
  8. is there anything of use int he event log? (run eventvwr from DOS)

BTW - thanks for the link to the TCP/IP re-install stuff. That netsh utility is the cats meow.

9. GREAT SUGGESTION - I think we've significantly narrowed it down. Repeated warning (red) messages show up on each reboot:

(1) Event ID: 7001 & 7000 "The DHCP client service depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start due to invalid drivers"

(2) Event ID: 10010 "The server {hex code} did not register with DCOM within requested timeout"

I'm having a hard time chasing down the error codes listed in the Microsoft Knowledge Base - suggestions?
  10. check out this <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?q=symtdi+service&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=cdecffb3.0208161226.35898f5e@posting.google.com&rnum=2" target="_new">usenet post</A>

11. You know - I think we have this thing nailed down. I recently installed Norton SystemWorks 2003 and as this is a relatively new system, I honestly do not remember if I had Norton AV or SystemWorks 2002 on there prior.

Great find, go play the lottery today - I'll run through these steps and post results.
  12. If you're upgrading from NAV 2002 or SystemWorks 2002 you had better plan on FULLY uninstalling the NAV product and not just by normal means.

THERE IS A SERIOUS BUG FROM SYMANTEC AND YOU'LL LOSE YOUR DHCP CAPABILITIES IF THESE STEPS AREN'T FOLLOWED! Do I make myself clear?

Go Check out http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddities/norton_errors.html for full details, this one bit me in the ass and took me hours upon hours to straighten everything out.

Take the 5 minutes to do this right and you'll be ok.
  13. JLANKA Your posts worth their weight in gold, thanks a million. This solution should be part of a FAQ somewhere as a lot of people 1-year anti-virus subscriptions will be running out shortly...
  14. Quote:
    This solution should be part of a FAQ somewhere as a lot of people 1-year anti-virus subscriptions will be running out shortly...

I agree about the FAQ. jlanka is da man.

Why not reinstall NAV every 364 days? :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers LAN Connection Networking