Sign in with
Your question

Net Q: Lost LAN connection

Last response: in Networking
December 2, 2002 4:06:25 PM

PROBLEM:
I somehow lost network connection to a WinXP (SP1) computer on the LAN despite everything looking ok.

OVERVIEW:
- Using DHCP to acquire IP (release/renew no results, gets 0.0.0.0 on reboot) - It's not getting an IP address from my router (Linksys BEFSR41)
- The lights on the NIC card and the router are lit, indicating a good connection, I've tried different ports on the router
- No problems reported by Device Manager
- LAN is ok, connected right now on my laptop (through router to cable modem to net)
- Using Client for MS Networks and TCP/IP protocol
- LAN Connection Icon (bottom-right near clock) indicates proper connection

ALREADY TRIED THE FOLLOWING (none worked):
- ipconfig release & renew (error: "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation")
- unplug NIC, reboot, plug NIC back in
- Deleting old machine entry from web-based router tools
- change to bogus workgroup name, reboot, change back to proper workgroup
- give static ip and reboot
- changed network cable

Suggestions?
December 2, 2002 11:27:52 PM

try releting and adding TCP/IP If that doesn't work you might have a bad NIC

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
December 2, 2002 11:40:04 PM

Good suggestion and it works under previous versions of NT but you can't delete TCP/IP in XP (or the method is different from that of NT/2000). I thought I found it in an obscure BIOS setting (wake on RING?) but no dice. I've tried different NIC in a different slot with same negative results.

I tried booting to safe mode and remove all NIC devices but was unable to remove my old NIC "ADMTek AN983 based ethernet adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport" due to error: Failed to uninstall, device may be required to boot up computer. What gives with that?

I can ping localhost but cannot ping by hostname - strange?
Related resources
December 2, 2002 11:43:08 PM

can you ping by IP?

December 2, 2002 11:47:35 PM

do ou possibly have ICS enabled on the machine in question? If so it should be disabled... just wondering

December 3, 2002 12:04:31 AM

No ISC enabled, I'm going through router/hub connected to cable modem.

ping 127.0.0.1 and localhost work
cannot ping gateway and ipconfig shows my IP as 0.0.0.0

I even tried to reinstall the TCP/IP stack (different on XP - here is link: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=k...;en-us;Q299357) to no avail. ARGH!

What's left? Can I safely reinstall XP?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by RLymburner on 12/02/02 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 3, 2002 6:39:58 AM

yes, you can re=install XP. any chance of trying a different NIC?

December 3, 2002 11:49:14 AM

Good suggestion but tried different NIC, even in different PCI slot as well as different cable and even in different port on the router. ARGH!

What are advantages/disadvantages of reinstalling XP? At what point do I throw my hands up and just do it?
December 3, 2002 11:56:03 AM

is there anything of use int he event log? (run eventvwr from DOS)

BTW - thanks for the link to the TCP/IP re-install stuff. That netsh utility is the cats meow.

December 3, 2002 12:36:48 PM

GREAT SUGGESTION - I think we've significantly narrowed it down. Repeated warning (red) messages show up on each reboot:

(1) Event ID: 7001 & 7000 "The DHCP client service depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start due to invalid drivers"

(2) Event ID: 10010 "The server {hex code} did not register with DCOM within requested timeout"

I'm having a hard time chasing down the error codes listed in the Microsoft Knowledge Base - suggestions?
December 3, 2002 12:54:30 PM

You know - I think we have this thing nailed down. I recently installed Norton SystemWorks 2003 and as this is a relatively new system, I honestly do not remember if I had Norton AV or SystemWorks 2002 on there prior.

Great find, go play the lottery today - I'll run through these steps and post results.
December 3, 2002 1:42:17 PM

If you're upgrading from NAV 2002 or SystemWorks 2002 you had better plan on FULLY uninstalling the NAV product and not just by normal means.

THERE IS A SERIOUS BUG FROM SYMANTEC AND YOU'LL LOSE YOUR DHCP CAPABILITIES IF THESE STEPS AREN'T FOLLOWED! Do I make myself clear?

Go Check out http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddities/norton_errors.h... for full details, this one bit me in the ass and took me hours upon hours to straighten everything out.

Take the 5 minutes to do this right and you'll be ok.
December 3, 2002 1:44:02 PM

JLANKA Your posts worth their weight in gold, thanks a million. This solution should be part of a FAQ somewhere as a lot of people 1-year anti-virus subscriptions will be running out shortly...
December 4, 2002 12:24:08 PM

Quote:
This solution should be part of a FAQ somewhere as a lot of people 1-year anti-virus subscriptions will be running out shortly...

I agree about the FAQ. jlanka is da man.

Why not reinstall NAV every 364 days? :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
!