Me overclocks my CPU

G

A month ago I decided it'd be a wonderful idea to upgrade from 98 to Me. Ever since, windows has clocked my CPU from 400 to 412 (I've checked the speed with SiSoft Sandra and various other programs, bios says 400MHz). I know it's not a lot, but I can't overclock anymore without softFSB and there's a decent 4 degrees C temp increase. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

My PC is as follows: Elitegroup P6BXA+, PII-400, 256Mb PC100, 2 HDDs, 40x CD-ROM, CD-RW, TNT2 Ultra, SB-Live!, numerous fans.

If you need more info, just ask.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Windows cannot do this.

Set BIOS to default or 100mhz. If you don't have the option to do this in the BIOS, there will be a mobo jumper to force it.

G

Yeah I'd done that already. I've tried it at 4x100MHz and the default 400MHz setting, but no joy with either. If I set it as 4x112MHz, I get a boot at 448, but windows still says 412MHz. Annoying...

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Windows says? Where?

Use a prog like Sisoft Sandra to report the CPU speed accurately.

If you are running at 412 (103mhz * 4), it is a motherboard/BIOS setting, and nothing to do with Windows.

G

System Information is where windows says. I've checked with Sisift Sandra (latest version) and it says 412MHz. The bios is definately set correctly. I had wondered if windows was acting like SoftFSB and clocking from inside the GUI. Thoughts?

G

You probably have the "Turbo" setting enabled in your BIOS. This adds an extra 3 MHz to your FSB. 4x103=412.

Your welcome

G

Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually cooked the board the other week when I was messing about with it (too high FSB!!) Not to worry, I have a 850 Duron now

G

Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually cooked the board the other week (too much FSB!!) Not to worry though - I have a nice new Duron 850 as a result.