Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP iPaq 2215 memory question

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 6:05:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

My 2215 keeps saying my memory is critically low. I have installed programs
to my 256 mb
secure digital card, not the ppc, so I don't quite understand why it is so
low. I am waiting on a 512 card but it hasn't arrived yet. Do I understand
correctly that I need a multimedia card to update the memory?

Ok, now my other question is === is a compact flash card and a multimedia
card the same? The 2215 has a place for both the secure digital card and
flash card, so will a multimedia card also fit? What amount of memory
should I add?

If this has been discussed before, please just lead me to the location of
the discussion or an article. I really appreciate any help anyone can give
me. There were two great guys who helped me last week with other questions,
so I know there are helpful people out there.

Thanks again.

Nadine nadineb@thewavz.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 6:05:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
news:o O6P0%23qIEHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> My 2215 keeps saying my memory is critically low. I have installed
programs
> to my 256 mb
> secure digital card, not the ppc, so I don't quite understand why it is so
> low. I am waiting on a 512 card but it hasn't arrived yet. Do I
understand
> correctly that I need a multimedia card to update the memory?
>

First, are you actually closing programs, or just minimizing them? By
default, Pocket PC's don't close programs when you tap the X.

> Ok, now my other question is === is a compact flash card and a multimedia
> card the same? The 2215 has a place for both the secure digital card and
> flash card, so will a multimedia card also fit? What amount of memory
> should I add?
>

No. A Compact Flash is larger physically. It is generally cheaper per MB
than SD (and multimedia) cards.

SD cards and MMC (Multimedia cards), are nearly identical in physical size,
some minor differences that you'd likely not notice. Either will work in an
SD slot, however you can get SD cards with much greater storage capacity
then a Multimedia Card. (Compact Flash cards come in the biggest storage
size).

As to how much memory, basically get as much as you can afford. Your current
card should do well for now, but 512MB is certainly better. Seems your
problem may be as simple as closing your programs, rather than minimizing.

Rob
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 12:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#I#NWcrIEHA.3968
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> First, are you actually closing programs, or just minimizing them? By
> default, Pocket PC's don't close programs when you tap the X.
>
>

Closing the programs can be done in several ways.
The fastest and easiest way to close all running programs is to perform a
soft reset by pushing the resetbutton on the back of the 2210
A second way to close programs is by pressing the most right button at
the front of your 2210 and then long-click the programs you want to close
and select "close this task" in the pop-up.
Third method: goto start -> settings -> system -> memory -> running
programs. Select the program you want to close and click the "stop"
button.

About memory:
your 2210 can handle SD or Secure Digital cards, MMC or multimediacards
and CF or Compact Flash cards.
SD and MMC are physically the same. They are placed in the front slot at
the top of your machine, and as I understand it you already have at least
one of that type. Of course you can only insert one card of those types
at a time.
CF cards are bigger, have a different number of contactpoints too, so you
can't misplace them by mistake. They fit in the rearslot, which is
normally covered by a dummy piece.
You can use one SD or MMC card and one CF card at the same time, there is
no problem whatsoever when you do that.
Installing programs to memorycard shouldn't pose any problems too. In
fact: you can install a selection of programs to several memorycards,
thus creating "programsets" on card for distinct purposes, for instance
one card containing office-applications, one card containing games etc.
etc. By inserting different cards you "install" a different set of
programs. A soft reset is enough to initialize the change of program set.
So you actually don't need extreme big memorycards, you can easily switch
smaller cards for several purposes.
Programs that are on non-present cards will stay visible in the
startmenu, but their icons will be replaced by the standard windows
"unknown icon"type. Just leave them there, when you switch and initialize
cards they will be recognized again and they will work perfectly.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 4:13:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Yes, I do close the programs the usual way, then when it tells me that the
memory is low, I go into the memory icon and close the running programs. I
understand all that you have told me and I appreciate it very much, but I
guess I still don't understand why it says that when there is 84 mg left on
the sd card. I tried to slide the bar to let more space for the
storage/program but it still says there is low memory.

Nadine


"Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23I%23NWcrIEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
> news:o O6P0%23qIEHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > My 2215 keeps saying my memory is critically low. I have installed
> programs
> > to my 256 mb
> > secure digital card, not the ppc, so I don't quite understand why it is
so
> > low. I am waiting on a 512 card but it hasn't arrived yet. Do I
> understand
> > correctly that I need a multimedia card to update the memory?
> >
>
> First, are you actually closing programs, or just minimizing them? By
> default, Pocket PC's don't close programs when you tap the X.
>
> > Ok, now my other question is === is a compact flash card and a
multimedia
> > card the same? The 2215 has a place for both the secure digital card
and
> > flash card, so will a multimedia card also fit? What amount of memory
> > should I add?
> >
>
> No. A Compact Flash is larger physically. It is generally cheaper per MB
> than SD (and multimedia) cards.
>
> SD cards and MMC (Multimedia cards), are nearly identical in physical
size,
> some minor differences that you'd likely not notice. Either will work in
an
> SD slot, however you can get SD cards with much greater storage capacity
> then a Multimedia Card. (Compact Flash cards come in the biggest storage
> size).
>
> As to how much memory, basically get as much as you can afford. Your
current
> card should do well for now, but 512MB is certainly better. Seems your
> problem may be as simple as closing your programs, rather than minimizing.
>
> Rob
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 4:13:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
news:%23c04ySwIEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes, I do close the programs the usual way, then when it tells me that the
> memory is low, I go into the memory icon and close the running programs.
I
> understand all that you have told me and I appreciate it very much, but I
> guess I still don't understand why it says that when there is 84 mg left
on
> the sd card. I tried to slide the bar to let more space for the
> storage/program but it still says there is low memory.
>

Just a clarification, the slider will not have any effect on SD or CF cards.
It only deals with RAM. Also, even though you have programs stored on a
card, they are place in RAM when you run them.

Try a soft reset, it is possible you have some risidual dll's and such still
in memory, even after closing a program.

Also, have you any plug-ins running? Dashboard, Journal Bar, tAgenda. These
take memory, and can add up.

Rob
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 4:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thank you for your response. I understand what you are telling me.

Now I have another question. I know I installed all or at least most of the
programs to the sd card, but if it is saying memory is low, is it possible
that some things didn't go to the sd card, but to the main memory instead?
How do I get to it to move it? I went to the file explorer and highlighted
some of the programs, but I could not find the copy option to move it to the
sd card.

This afternoon, even with no programs running in the back ground, it still
says the memory is low and there is 84 mb left on the sd card.

I appreciate your response. I can tear down a desktop computer and put it
back together easily, but this little guy is causing my already grey hair to
get a little grayer!

Nadine
"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94CC6B0C275D1softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.3.190...
> "Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#I#NWcrIEHA.3968
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> > First, are you actually closing programs, or just minimizing them? By
> > default, Pocket PC's don't close programs when you tap the X.
> >
> >
>
> Closing the programs can be done in several ways.
> The fastest and easiest way to close all running programs is to perform a
> soft reset by pushing the resetbutton on the back of the 2210
> A second way to close programs is by pressing the most right button at
> the front of your 2210 and then long-click the programs you want to close
> and select "close this task" in the pop-up.
> Third method: goto start -> settings -> system -> memory -> running
> programs. Select the program you want to close and click the "stop"
> button.
>
> About memory:
> your 2210 can handle SD or Secure Digital cards, MMC or multimediacards
> and CF or Compact Flash cards.
> SD and MMC are physically the same. They are placed in the front slot at
> the top of your machine, and as I understand it you already have at least
> one of that type. Of course you can only insert one card of those types
> at a time.
> CF cards are bigger, have a different number of contactpoints too, so you
> can't misplace them by mistake. They fit in the rearslot, which is
> normally covered by a dummy piece.
> You can use one SD or MMC card and one CF card at the same time, there is
> no problem whatsoever when you do that.
> Installing programs to memorycard shouldn't pose any problems too. In
> fact: you can install a selection of programs to several memorycards,
> thus creating "programsets" on card for distinct purposes, for instance
> one card containing office-applications, one card containing games etc.
> etc. By inserting different cards you "install" a different set of
> programs. A soft reset is enough to initialize the change of program set.
> So you actually don't need extreme big memorycards, you can easily switch
> smaller cards for several purposes.
> Programs that are on non-present cards will stay visible in the
> startmenu, but their icons will be replaced by the standard windows
> "unknown icon"type. Just leave them there, when you switch and initialize
> cards they will be recognized again and they will work perfectly.
>
> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 6:47:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ok, I understand now. Yes, I do have plug-ins on my Today screen - weather,
quotes, journal bar,
battery bar, etc. So that is what is hogging the memory.

So - there is no way to gain more memory for an iPaq 2215? No new/larger
memory chip? I believe I have 64 mb now - that is the reason I chose the
2215 over one of the others.

Nadine


"Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eRZjnBxIEHA.1220@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
> news:%23c04ySwIEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Yes, I do close the programs the usual way, then when it tells me that
the
> > memory is low, I go into the memory icon and close the running programs.
> I
> > understand all that you have told me and I appreciate it very much, but
I
> > guess I still don't understand why it says that when there is 84 mg left
> on
> > the sd card. I tried to slide the bar to let more space for the
> > storage/program but it still says there is low memory.
> >
>
> Just a clarification, the slider will not have any effect on SD or CF
cards.
> It only deals with RAM. Also, even though you have programs stored on a
> card, they are place in RAM when you run them.
>
> Try a soft reset, it is possible you have some risidual dll's and such
still
> in memory, even after closing a program.
>
> Also, have you any plug-ins running? Dashboard, Journal Bar, tAgenda.
These
> take memory, and can add up.
>
> Rob
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 6:47:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
news:o J5HkoxIEHA.3508@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Ok, I understand now. Yes, I do have plug-ins on my Today screen -
weather,
> quotes, journal bar,
> battery bar, etc. So that is what is hogging the memory.
>
> So - there is no way to gain more memory for an iPaq 2215? No new/larger
> memory chip? I believe I have 64 mb now - that is the reason I chose the
> 2215 over one of the others.
>

You can send you iPaq to
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Services.asp?type=i2200 and get a 128MB
upgrade. Figure on spending about a buck a meg, plus any shipping, and the
down time you'll have.

Or can get a different Pocket PC, one with 128MB installed. But these seem
like overkill ideas, at this time.

Actually, the 64MB you have should be fine. I have a Toshiba e750 with 64MB
RAM, and I run Journal Bar, tdLaunch and Sprite Pocket Monitor on my screen,
as well as on occasion running Dashboard and eXPerience. I rarely run into a
memory problem, unless i have something like vxSniffer running, which logs
network traffic. After awhile, if I forget about it and leave it on, my log
file grows to 10-15 MB. I have a few games that hog memory, but I doubt your
playing Age of Empires or Legacy. :) 

I would first recommend getting either Wisbar or Icbar. They are both free
(sorry, don't have a link handy, but Google is your friend). These programs
will place a functional X in the corner.

What programs are you trying to load by the way? As i said before, your 64MB
should do well.

Rob
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 10:03:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in news:etHdeVwIEHA.4052
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

>
> Now I have another question. I know I installed all or at least most
of the
> programs to the sd card, but if it is saying memory is low, is it
possible
> that some things didn't go to the sd card, but to the main memory
instead?
> How do I get to it to move it? I went to the file explorer and
highlighted
> some of the programs, but I could not find the copy option to move it
to the
> sd card.
>

That depends on the programs itself and how they handle their install-
routines: just like in Windows desktop (ME, XP etc) some parts of the
programs are stored within the Windows folder, in main memory. And there
is no way to moving those parts. Just because Windows expects them to be
there.

Moving program files to the memorycard is not advisable like that.
Windows CE also has a registry, in which the location of the installed
program is kept, so just moving them with the explorer would cause
Windows to fail launching that program. If you want to move a program
which you installed to main memory onto memorycard, I guess the best you
can do is uninstall and reinstall the program.

It may be possible that the icon remains after uninstall. You can easily
remove those orphan icons through explorer, they reside in the folder
windows/start menu.

And about the color of your hair: don't worry about that too much. Like
my grandmother always said: "a nice grey head also has its beauty" ;-)

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 10:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ok, I understand that my plug-ins on the Today screen is what is hogging the
memory. Now, I wonder if there are larger memory chips to install? I chose
the 2215 for just that reason - it has 64 mb.

My grey hair is earned one by one - with three children 20, 12 and 9,
besides I play on the computer too much to have time to dye it.

Thanks again!

Nadine

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94CCCC035309Bsoftspotbruggehotmai@195.238.3.190...
> "Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in news:etHdeVwIEHA.4052
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> >
> > Now I have another question. I know I installed all or at least most
> of the
> > programs to the sd card, but if it is saying memory is low, is it
> possible
> > that some things didn't go to the sd card, but to the main memory
> instead?
> > How do I get to it to move it? I went to the file explorer and
> highlighted
> > some of the programs, but I could not find the copy option to move it
> to the
> > sd card.
> >
>
> That depends on the programs itself and how they handle their install-
> routines: just like in Windows desktop (ME, XP etc) some parts of the
> programs are stored within the Windows folder, in main memory. And there
> is no way to moving those parts. Just because Windows expects them to be
> there.
>
> Moving program files to the memorycard is not advisable like that.
> Windows CE also has a registry, in which the location of the installed
> program is kept, so just moving them with the explorer would cause
> Windows to fail launching that program. If you want to move a program
> which you installed to main memory onto memorycard, I guess the best you
> can do is uninstall and reinstall the program.
>
> It may be possible that the icon remains after uninstall. You can easily
> remove those orphan icons through explorer, they reside in the folder
> windows/start menu.
>
> And about the color of your hair: don't worry about that too much. Like
> my grandmother always said: "a nice grey head also has its beauty" ;-)
>
> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 10:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Yes, I understand what hogs the memory now - I have Today screen plug-ings.
Yes, I understand how to install to the card.

So how much do 5555's run? I got the 2215 because it has 64 mb but I guess
I should have researched a little better. I don't think I can afford to
change now, but will try to save my pennies for a later time.

Thanks.

Nadine

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1898901c42316$f2520250$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> Go careful with any database related programs - my
> experience is these need to be in the main memory. Most
> other programs do not. I assume you know how to instal to
> a card?
>
> Also it is easy to run out of memory just based on the
> components which every program I have installed insists on
> placing in the main memory (dll etc.), in the windows
> directory usually. Whilst this make the programmers life
> easy (no need to code to point elsewhere) it soon eats up
> your limited memory - some programmers are better than
> others at redirecting. I've basically switched to 128meg
> device (originally HP5555 but now sold on Toshiba e805,
> which has 160meg of memory) for this reason - I had all my
> programs (which would run from them) on SD/CF card and
> still kept having issues with low memory (I often run GPS
> SW with large maps - these are memory hogs), since
> switching this has never been an issue
> >-----Original Message-----
> >"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in
> news:etHdeVwIEHA.4052
> >@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
> >
> >>
> >> Now I have another question. I know I installed all or
> at least most
> >of the
> >> programs to the sd card, but if it is saying memory is
> low, is it
> >possible
> >> that some things didn't go to the sd card, but to the
> main memory
> >instead?
> >> How do I get to it to move it? I went to the file
> explorer and
> >highlighted
> >> some of the programs, but I could not find the copy
> option to move it
> >to the
> >> sd card.
> >>
> >
> >That depends on the programs itself and how they handle
> their install-
> >routines: just like in Windows desktop (ME, XP etc) some
> parts of the
> >programs are stored within the Windows folder, in main
> memory. And there
> >is no way to moving those parts. Just because Windows
> expects them to be
> >there.
> >
> >Moving program files to the memorycard is not advisable
> like that.
> >Windows CE also has a registry, in which the location of
> the installed
> >program is kept, so just moving them with the explorer
> would cause
> >Windows to fail launching that program. If you want to
> move a program
> >which you installed to main memory onto memorycard, I
> guess the best you
> >can do is uninstall and reinstall the program.
> >
> >It may be possible that the icon remains after uninstall.
> You can easily
> >remove those orphan icons through explorer, they reside
> in the folder
> >windows/start menu.
> >
> >And about the color of your hair: don't worry about that
> too much. Like
> >my grandmother always said: "a nice grey head also has
> its beauty" ;-)
> >
> >--
> >SoftSpot
> >softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> >"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be
> perfect"
> >(Cornelis Vreeswijk)
> >
> >(just remove the spamstatement
> >and one underscore
> >to respond personally,
> >but please keep it friendly,
> >I'm only human too)
> >
> >.
> >
April 15, 2004 10:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Go careful with any database related programs - my
experience is these need to be in the main memory. Most
other programs do not. I assume you know how to instal to
a card?

Also it is easy to run out of memory just based on the
components which every program I have installed insists on
placing in the main memory (dll etc.), in the windows
directory usually. Whilst this make the programmers life
easy (no need to code to point elsewhere) it soon eats up
your limited memory - some programmers are better than
others at redirecting. I've basically switched to 128meg
device (originally HP5555 but now sold on Toshiba e805,
which has 160meg of memory) for this reason - I had all my
programs (which would run from them) on SD/CF card and
still kept having issues with low memory (I often run GPS
SW with large maps - these are memory hogs), since
switching this has never been an issue
>-----Original Message-----
>"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in
news:etHdeVwIEHA.4052
>@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
>>
>> Now I have another question. I know I installed all or
at least most
>of the
>> programs to the sd card, but if it is saying memory is
low, is it
>possible
>> that some things didn't go to the sd card, but to the
main memory
>instead?
>> How do I get to it to move it? I went to the file
explorer and
>highlighted
>> some of the programs, but I could not find the copy
option to move it
>to the
>> sd card.
>>
>
>That depends on the programs itself and how they handle
their install-
>routines: just like in Windows desktop (ME, XP etc) some
parts of the
>programs are stored within the Windows folder, in main
memory. And there
>is no way to moving those parts. Just because Windows
expects them to be
>there.
>
>Moving program files to the memorycard is not advisable
like that.
>Windows CE also has a registry, in which the location of
the installed
>program is kept, so just moving them with the explorer
would cause
>Windows to fail launching that program. If you want to
move a program
>which you installed to main memory onto memorycard, I
guess the best you
>can do is uninstall and reinstall the program.
>
>It may be possible that the icon remains after uninstall.
You can easily
>remove those orphan icons through explorer, they reside
in the folder
>windows/start menu.
>
>And about the color of your hair: don't worry about that
too much. Like
>my grandmother always said: "a nice grey head also has
its beauty" ;-)
>
>--
>SoftSpot
>softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
>"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be
perfect"
>(Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
>(just remove the spamstatement
>and one underscore
>to respond personally,
>but please keep it friendly,
>I'm only human too)
>
>.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 15, 2004 11:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in news:eFbEspxIEHA.2688
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Ok, I understand that my plug-ins on the Today screen is what is
hogging the
> memory. Now, I wonder if there are larger memory chips to install? I
chose
> the 2215 for just that reason - it has 64 mb.
>
> My grey hair is earned one by one - with three children 20, 12 and 9,
> besides I play on the computer too much to have time to dye it.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Nadine
>

:-) so much for the grey hair: I guess the kids have more to answer for
than the computers.... ;-) well, to comfort you: it's the same here
(having two daughters, 21 and 20 years of age is enough to give me grey
hair). LOL

About your 2210: I don't know: what else do you have installed? For I
have a 2210 too and I have installed some programs too, partly to
memorycard, mostly in main memory (one of them is a GPS-navigating
program, "a memory-hog" as someone else here stated....), and I haven't
encountered a memory-low warning yet....
Usually a PPC with 64 MB of memory will be quite sufficient.....

I have heard once of a method to install extra memory into an iPaq (some
time ago already), but I'll have to search for it again, and if I
remember well the supplyers did tell it required opening the PPC, thus
loosing all guarantee, and involved some skills regarding working with
electronics and some risks.... I don't know if you know how to handle
soldering equipment??



--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 16, 2004 12:45:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94CC6B0C275D1softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.3.190...
> "Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in news:#I#NWcrIEHA.3968
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> > First, are you actually closing programs, or just minimizing them? By
> > default, Pocket PC's don't close programs when you tap the X.
> >
> >
>
> Closing the programs can be done in several ways.
> The fastest and easiest way to close all running programs is to perform a
> soft reset by pushing the resetbutton on the back of the 2210
> A second way to close programs is by pressing the most right button at
> the front of your 2210 and then long-click the programs you want to close
> and select "close this task" in the pop-up.
> Third method: goto start -> settings -> system -> memory -> running
> programs. Select the program you want to close and click the "stop"
> button.


Or get Icbar. It will give you an easy way to close all running programs, or
those you want to.
http://icbar.ictinus.com/
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 16, 2004 2:06:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thank you for your help. I have downloaded the Icbar and will try that. No
I don't play those kinds of games, more like puzzle games. Plus I wonder if
the themes are causing the problem. I also had a screensaver installed.

I did find a HP 5555 on ebay at a really good price so will be checking that
out too.

Thanks again!

Nadine


"Rob B." <insertion@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23TYDIIzIEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in message
> news:o J5HkoxIEHA.3508@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Ok, I understand now. Yes, I do have plug-ins on my Today screen -
> weather,
> > quotes, journal bar,
> > battery bar, etc. So that is what is hogging the memory.
> >
> > So - there is no way to gain more memory for an iPaq 2215? No
new/larger
> > memory chip? I believe I have 64 mb now - that is the reason I chose the
> > 2215 over one of the others.
> >
>
> You can send you iPaq to
> http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Services.asp?type=i2200 and get a 128MB
> upgrade. Figure on spending about a buck a meg, plus any shipping, and the
> down time you'll have.
>
> Or can get a different Pocket PC, one with 128MB installed. But these seem
> like overkill ideas, at this time.
>
> Actually, the 64MB you have should be fine. I have a Toshiba e750 with
64MB
> RAM, and I run Journal Bar, tdLaunch and Sprite Pocket Monitor on my
screen,
> as well as on occasion running Dashboard and eXPerience. I rarely run into
a
> memory problem, unless i have something like vxSniffer running, which logs
> network traffic. After awhile, if I forget about it and leave it on, my
log
> file grows to 10-15 MB. I have a few games that hog memory, but I doubt
your
> playing Age of Empires or Legacy. :) 
>
> I would first recommend getting either Wisbar or Icbar. They are both free
> (sorry, don't have a link handy, but Google is your friend). These
programs
> will place a functional X in the corner.
>
> What programs are you trying to load by the way? As i said before, your
64MB
> should do well.
>
> Rob
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b } Memory
April 16, 2004 10:21:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Nadine Boehm" <nadineb@thewavz.com> wrote in news:ez9w0YyIEHA.1528
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

>
> After I sent the last email - I realize that I have themes installed
too, so
> that probably also takes up a lot of memory. I have weather, quotes,
owner
> info, battery bar, journal bar, date, etc. on the Today screen.
>

Don't hurry to the shop to buy yourself whatever.... and an upgrade is
not really necessary, since there are reports about trouble with those
too in this NG.

Instead, take a serious look at Graham's hint, that might be the key... I
didn't think of that: do you surf the net with your PPC? Did you check
and clear the temp- and the temporary internet folders? For those fill up
over time with lots of junk, filling your memory with anything you don't
want to keep....
Anything in those folders can be deleted without any danger at all. And
windows does have a reputation (with me anyway) of not clearing its own
rubbish neatly.

Themes don't take up that much space, I doubt it that they cause your PPC
to fill up, unless you have hundreds of them, and especially animated
ones, which use more space than static ones. But even then.....

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
!