What should I upgrade?

Ok, I have about 300 bucks to play with (tax return), and I'm trying to
decide what parts of my computer to upgrade. I currently have an AMD XP
2400+ processor running on a cheesy Nforce2 board (no dual channel memory),
1 gig of RAM (2 sticks), and a regular FX5900 video card. After beginning
Brothers In Arms, it's become woefully clear that I need an upgrade
somewhere. My question is, would it be better to get a decent 6800 card and
a good Nforce2 board, or should I go for an AMD 64 board and processor?
Either way should cost me around 300 bucks, so what should I go with?

Man

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004

go for the new processor and board. upgrading the video card will only
improve yr visuals, e.g gameplay.

upgrade yr cpu and board and u will gain alot more, slightly faster
gameplay, faster performance in every other application.

depends what is most important to u. ifyr a hardcore gamer then go for the
video card, but if yr smart go for a new cpu and board.

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have about 300 bucks to play with (tax return), and I'm trying to
> decide what parts of my computer to upgrade. I currently have an AMD XP
> 2400+ processor running on a cheesy Nforce2 board (no dual channel
> memory), 1 gig of RAM (2 sticks), and a regular FX5900 video card. After
> beginning Brothers In Arms, it's become woefully clear that I need an
> upgrade somewhere. My question is, would it be better to get a decent
> 6800 card and a good Nforce2 board, or should I go for an AMD 64 board and
> processor? Either way should cost me around 300 bucks, so what should I go
> with?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have about 300 bucks to play with (tax return), and I'm trying to
> decide what parts of my computer to upgrade. I currently have an AMD XP
> 2400+ processor running on a cheesy Nforce2 board (no dual channel
> memory), 1 gig of RAM (2 sticks), and a regular FX5900 video card. After
> beginning Brothers In Arms, it's become woefully clear that I need an
> upgrade somewhere. My question is, would it be better to get a decent
> 6800 card and a good Nforce2 board, or should I go for an AMD 64 board and
> processor? Either way should cost me around 300 bucks, so what should I go
> with?

Get an Nforce4 board, and an A64 3200+ then Ebay the XP2400, motherboard and
the RAM which I presume is PC2700. It'll sell for a decent price, probably
in the $150+ range. Then your upgrade will more than cover the cost of 2
sticks of PC3700 DDR for proper dual channel and overclocking potential. The
performance of your FX5900 on the new board will be a lot more.

> So I'd go with the CPU/mobo/mem upgrade, then wait till next year (2006)
> to pick up 2nd or 3rd generation pci express vid card with SLI (with
> newmobo and dual core CPU). A FX5900 is a nice fast card on a new mobo
> and CPU.

Ok, here's what I did. I already had a gig of PC3200 memory (two 512MB
sticks). I bought it last year, and I made sure to get PC3200 because then
I would be ready for 400 FSB boards. Most new boards allow you to set the
memory speed to a different speed than the processor, so you can get
whatever you want. I bought an NForce 3 board (Epox 9NDA3J) and an AMD 64
3000+ processor. I spent 230 bucks, and the performance increase is
amazing. I'm pretty impressed. This is the nicest motherboard I've ever
used (I usually skimp in that department), and I have to say that there is a
big difference between 50 dollar boards and 100 dollar boards! The FX5900
is still a little limited in new games, but Brothers In Arms is running like
a top, and I noticed major graphics improvements in UT2004 (like gun
shadows). All in all, I'm impressed, and I just couldn't bear to get a
PCI-express board just yet. I just don't see the major improvement yet with
it. Thanks for the advice, fellas!