Debian/nvidia x-freeze

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.os.linux.debian (More info?)

Hi all,

first of all my appologies for this crosspost; my dispair got me this far.

If the subject sounds familiar to you, you might be able to help me. I
encountered the infamous x-freeze while installing my debian with the
nvidia drivers. To convince you of this really being the x-freeze I give
you the following characteristics:
- The freeze occurs at random times, sometimes after starting my first
application in kde, sometimes after working with my system for a while.
- When the freeze occurs, music keeps playing, the mouse-cursor keeps
moving, but nothing else works; not even ctrl-alt-backspace,
ctrl-alt-f1, enz.
(I haven't tried to do a remote login, as I don't have the hardware for
that here)

I hope someone can help me out or give me suggestions about what I can
do. I supplied some information on my system below. Hope that will be
sufficient.

Thanks in advance,
Yereth Jansen

-----------------------------

This is my current configuration:
Debian unstable
Kernel version 2.6.8-2-k7
Nvidia drivers version 1.0.7167 from source:
"deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable/i386/"
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Geforce MX 440 (8x AGP)
Asus A7V8X-MX (with latest BIOS update)

-----------------------------

Screen: 1280 * 960

-----------------------------

A bit from my XConfig:
Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "dbe"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "record"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "GeForce 4mx"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

-----------------------------

Loaded modules:
unix
af_packet
ide-floppy
ppp
pppoe
ide-cd
via-rhine
ide-scsi
autofs
ntfs
umsdos
smbfs
hid
usb-storage
mousedev
usbmouse
usbhid
usb-uhci
uhci-hcd
nvidia

Luis Lima wrote:
> New net-installer-rc3
> http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2005/20050323
>
> regards

And that distribution hasn't the x-freeze problem?

I am running now with the new 2.6.11.6 kernel and the latest nvidia
drivers, but that doesn't help either. If the this new RC dissolves the
problem, then there must be another factor in play. You know what it is
or where I can find information on this?

Regards,
Yereth Jansen

Yereth Jansen wrote:

> And that distribution hasn't the x-freeze problem?
>
> I am running now with the new 2.6.11.6 kernel and the latest nvidia
> drivers, but that doesn't help either. If the this new RC dissolves the
> problem, then there must be another factor in play. You know what it is
> or where I can find information on this?

Well,

I'm finding it with Slack 10.1 and I did with Slack 10.0. I reverted back
to the standard VESA (?) drivers but that is hardly a solution.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk