Display problems

Appears that you have the wrong resolution or monitor screen refresh rate
set incorrectly .... modify these thru the right click on desktop ..

and choose:
1. properties,
2. settings,
3. advance .... to adjust...

VC

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/album?.dir=98fe&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/my_photos

> Any advice? Thanks.
>
> BK

"Bill King" <wking@cccomm.net> wrote in message
>I just purchased a nVidia 6600. I have all the latest drivers. The
>motherboard is brand new. DirectX 9.0c installed. When I try to play Sim
>City 4 and Final Fantasy 9, I get distorted images. Click on this link to
>see:
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/album?.dir=98fe&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/my_photos
>
> Any advice? Thanks.
>
> BK

It only does that once you try to play those games? Most likely, the
refresh rates DirectX is using are incompatible with your monitor. If you
run DxDiag.exe you can set the preferred refresh for DirectX. Alternately,
if you have Coolbits (can get it on guru3d.com; it's a registry key that
unlocks settings in the nVidia drivers) you can set DirectX refresh rates
for every resolution from inside the Display properties. Try setting those
to something you know your monitor can use. Of course, also make sure you
aren't trying to use a higher resolution than your monitor can handle.

Is this using the 71.84 drivers? There have been some problems reported
with those. You may want to try the 66.93 drivers (also available on
guru3d.com) if the above fixes don't work.

RF

Looks like a loss of synchronization. How do you have the nVidia card
set for vertical sync?

Bill King wrote:
> I just purchased a nVidia 6600. I have all the latest drivers. The
> motherboard is brand new. DirectX 9.0c installed. When I try to play Sim
> City 4 and Final Fantasy 9, I get distorted images. Click on this link
> to see:
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/album?.dir=98fe&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wking555/my_photos
>

> Any advice? Thanks.
>
> BK

Thanks for your help. I used an older driver to access the game and
change the game resolution to 800 x 600. Then I installed the most
up-to-date driver and SimCity 4 works now.

BK