Dual Monitor Setup with different LCD native resolutions (..

I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two monitors to it.
My intent is to be able to toggle between the two moniotors so I can access
the same PC from two different locations. One monitor is a Dell 2001FP with
a native resolution of 1600x1200 at which I like to leave it at for the
desktop work that I do. However, the other monitor is just a 15 inch LCD
(15-pin analog) with a 1024x768 max resolution.

I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but since the
15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported resolution" display on
my monitor. Is there a way so that when I switch monitors, it can also
toggle screen resolution?

Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting my Dell
to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now the screen
doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only reduces the resolution
so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the center of my monitor.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two monitors to
>it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two moniotors so I can
>access the same PC from two different locations. One monitor is a Dell
>2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200 at which I like to leave it at
>for the desktop work that I do. However, the other monitor is just a 15
>inch LCD (15-pin analog) with a 1024x768 max resolution.
>
> I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but since
> the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported resolution"
> display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I switch monitors, it
> can also toggle screen resolution?
>
> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting my Dell
> to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now the screen
> doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only reduces the
> resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the center of my monitor.
>
> Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

I just downloaded and installed PowerStrip and it seems to do the trick. Too
bad I have to pay for another program, when something as simple as this
should be implicit in the drivers. If it is still possible without
PowerStrip then please let me know. It would be nice not to have to run a
second program as well as pay $30 just to switch monitors.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two monitors
> to it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two moniotors so
> I can access the same PC from two different locations. One monitor is
> a Dell 2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200 at which I like
> to leave it at for the desktop work that I do. However, the other
> monitor is just a 15 inch LCD (15-pin analog) with a 1024x768 max
> resolution.
> I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but
> since the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported
> resolution" display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I
> switch monitors, it can also toggle screen resolution?
>
> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting my
> Dell to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now the
> screen doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only reduces
> the resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the center of my
> monitor.
> Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Hi guy! I've recently run into similar problems with two monitors
myself. But I kinda gave up as I needed one of them for another rig in
the other room. BUT, I'd gladly put a CRT on that one and bring the
other LCD in here to have both LCD's on this rig if I find the tools to
do setups like you need. Even though my own needs are a bit simpler. I
suppose you've looked around a bit already?
http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40053704-39029422t-10000074c
good article there for the basics.

http://www.maxivista.com/testimonials.htm
in case this is something kin to what you want to do.

http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
still lookin for stuff

This is to UltraMon 2.5, which I used for a bit.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp
This is the UltraMon site.

Well, I haven't seen a thing for multi monitor support that looks better
than UltraMon. I remember why I quit using it: It costs $40 to use it
after the 30 days :) I *thought* I'd find something free or at least
cheaper to do what it does. Nope, not yet.
HIH,
McG.

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two monitors
>> to it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two moniotors so
>> I can access the same PC from two different locations. One monitor is
>> a Dell 2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200 at which I like
>> to leave it at for the desktop work that I do. However, the other
>> monitor is just a 15 inch LCD (15-pin analog) with a 1024x768 max
>> resolution.
>> I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but
>> since the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported
>> resolution" display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I
>> switch monitors, it can also toggle screen resolution?
>>
>> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting my
>> Dell to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now the
>> screen doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only reduces
>> the resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the center of my
>> monitor.
>> Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Hi guy! I've recently run into similar problems with two monitors
> myself. But I kinda gave up as I needed one of them for another rig in
> the other room. BUT, I'd gladly put a CRT on that one and bring the other
> LCD in here to have both LCD's on this rig if I find the tools to do
> setups like you need. Even though my own needs are a bit simpler. I
> suppose you've looked around a bit already?
> http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40053704-39029422t-10000074c
> good article there for the basics.
>
> http://www.maxivista.com/testimonials.htm
> in case this is something kin to what you want to do.
>
> http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
> still lookin for stuff
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2069.html
> This is to UltraMon 2.5, which I used for a bit.
>
> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp
> This is the UltraMon site.
>
> Well, I haven't seen a thing for multi monitor support that looks better
> than UltraMon. I remember why I quit using it: It costs $40 to use it
> after the 30 days :) I *thought* I'd find something free or at least
> cheaper to do what it does. Nope, not yet.
> HIH,
> McG.

Thanks for all that McG. I see you post in the AGHL ng as well.

I will give multimon and ultramon a try, although powerstrip seems to work
fine right now. But again, its shareware. I don't mind paying for it, as
long as it does everything I want it to do (or at least within reason, if it
did *everything* I'd marry it ;-)

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two
>> monitors to it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two
>> moniotors so I can access the same PC from two different locations.
>> One monitor is a Dell 2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200
>> at which I like to leave it at for the desktop work that I do.
>> However, the other monitor is just a 15 inch LCD (15-pin analog)
>> with a 1024x768 max resolution. I know I can set a hotkey to switch
>> between the two monitors, but
>> since the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported
>> resolution" display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I
>> switch monitors, it can also toggle screen resolution?
>>
>> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting
>> my Dell to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now
>> the screen doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only
>> reduces the resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the
>> center of my monitor. Any assistance with this would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I just downloaded and installed PowerStrip and it seems to do the
> trick. Too bad I have to pay for another program, when something as
> simple as this should be implicit in the drivers. If it is still
> possible without PowerStrip then please let me know. It would be nice
> not to have to run a second program as well as pay $30 just to switch
> monitors.

Well, look for a long-ish post from me, the ONLY thing I found that was
really satisfactory was UltraMon. I guess if I want what I had, I'll
pay for it :eek:\
McG.

>> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two monitors
>>> to it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two moniotors so
>>> I can access the same PC from two different locations. One monitor is
>>> a Dell 2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200 at which I like
>>> to leave it at for the desktop work that I do. However, the other
>>> monitor is just a 15 inch LCD (15-pin analog) with a 1024x768 max
>>> resolution.
>>> I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but
>>> since the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported
>>> resolution" display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I
>>> switch monitors, it can also toggle screen resolution?
>>>
>>> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting my
>>> Dell to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now the
>>> screen doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only reduces
>>> the resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the center of my
>>> monitor.
>>> Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Hi guy! I've recently run into similar problems with two monitors
>> myself. But I kinda gave up as I needed one of them for another rig in
>> the other room. BUT, I'd gladly put a CRT on that one and bring the
>> other LCD in here to have both LCD's on this rig if I find the tools to
>> do setups like you need. Even though my own needs are a bit simpler. I
>> suppose you've looked around a bit already?
>> http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40053704-39029422t-10000074c
>> good article there for the basics.
>>
>> http://www.maxivista.com/testimonials.htm
>> in case this is something kin to what you want to do.
>>
>> http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
>> still lookin for stuff
>>
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2069.html
>> This is to UltraMon 2.5, which I used for a bit.
>>
>> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp
>> This is the UltraMon site.
>>
>> Well, I haven't seen a thing for multi monitor support that looks better
>> than UltraMon. I remember why I quit using it: It costs $40 to use it
>> after the 30 days :) I *thought* I'd find something free or at least
>> cheaper to do what it does. Nope, not yet.
>> HIH,
>> McG.
>>

> Thanks for all that McG. I see you post in the AGHL ng as well.
>
> I will give multimon and ultramon a try, although powerstrip seems to work
> fine right now. But again, its shareware. I don't mind paying for it, as
> long as it does everything I want it to do (or at least within reason, if
> it did *everything* I'd marry it ;-)

Huh. For some reason it didn't work before, but I just uninstalled and
reinstalled my nVidia drivers and bound a macro key to "clone display" and
"switch display" and it works great. No need for any extra program. And the
dual keyboard/mouse setup seems to work great too! Now I'm in business!

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a GeForce Ti4200 and have just recently connected two
>>> monitors to it. My intent is to be able to toggle between the two
>>> moniotors so I can access the same PC from two different locations.
>>> One monitor is a Dell 2001FP with a native resolution of 1600x1200
>>> at which I like to leave it at for the desktop work that I do.
>>> However, the other monitor is just a 15 inch LCD (15-pin analog)
>>> with a 1024x768 max resolution.
>>> I know I can set a hotkey to switch between the two monitors, but
>>> since the 15-inch can't display 1600x1200 I get an "unsupported
>>> resolution" display on my monitor. Is there a way so that when I
>>> switch monitors, it can also toggle screen resolution?
>>>
>>> Secondly, since I've hooked up my second montitor, I tried setting
>>> my Dell to 1024x768 just to test the screen switching, however, now
>>> the screen doesn't "scale" to the full size of the monitor, only
>>> reduces the resolution so that just 1024x768 is dispayed in the
>>> center of my monitor.
>>> Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Hi guy! I've recently run into similar problems with two monitors
>> myself. But I kinda gave up as I needed one of them for another rig
>> in the other room. BUT, I'd gladly put a CRT on that one and bring
>> the other LCD in here to have both LCD's on this rig if I find the
>> tools to do setups like you need. Even though my own needs are a
>> bit simpler. I suppose you've looked around a bit already?
>> http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40053704-39029422t-10000074c
>> good article there for the basics.
>>
>> http://www.maxivista.com/testimonials.htm
>> in case this is something kin to what you want to do.
>>
>> http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
>> still lookin for stuff
>>
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2069.html
>> This is to UltraMon 2.5, which I used for a bit.
>>
>> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp
>> This is the UltraMon site.
>>
>> Well, I haven't seen a thing for multi monitor support that looks
>> better than UltraMon. I remember why I quit using it: It costs $40
>> to use it after the 30 days :) I *thought* I'd find something free
>> or at least cheaper to do what it does. Nope, not yet.
>> HIH,
>> McG.
>>

> Thanks for all that McG. I see you post in the AGHL ng as well.
>
> I will give multimon and ultramon a try, although powerstrip seems to
> work fine right now. But again, its shareware. I don't mind paying
> for it, as long as it does everything I want it to do (or at least
> within reason, if it did *everything* I'd marry it ;-)

I hear ya. I'll check out the newest power strip too.
McG.

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Hi guy! I've recently run into similar problems with two monitors
>>> myself. But I kinda gave up as I needed one of them for another
>>> rig in the other room. BUT, I'd gladly put a CRT on that one and
>>> bring the other LCD in here to have both LCD's on this rig if I
>>> find the tools to do setups like you need. Even though my own
>>> needs are a bit simpler. I suppose you've looked around a bit
>>> already?
>>> http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/print.htm?TYPE=story&AT=40053704-39029422t-10000074c
>>> good article there for the basics.
>>> http://www.maxivista.com/testimonials.htm
>>> in case this is something kin to what you want to do.
>>>
>>> http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
>>> still lookin for stuff
>>>
>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2069.html
>>> This is to UltraMon 2.5, which I used for a bit.
>>>
>>> http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp
>>> This is the UltraMon site.
>>>
>>> Well, I haven't seen a thing for multi monitor support that looks
>>> better than UltraMon. I remember why I quit using it: It costs
>>> $40 to use it after the 30 days :) I *thought* I'd find something
>>> free or at least cheaper to do what it does. Nope, not yet.
>>> HIH,
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Thanks for all that McG. I see you post in the AGHL ng as well.
>>
>> I will give multimon and ultramon a try, although powerstrip seems
>> to work fine right now. But again, its shareware. I don't mind
>> paying for it, as long as it does everything I want it to do (or at
>> least within reason, if it did *everything* I'd marry it ;-)
>>

> Huh. For some reason it didn't work before, but I just uninstalled and
> reinstalled my nVidia drivers and bound a macro key to "clone
> display" and "switch display" and it works great. No need for any
> extra program. And the dual keyboard/mouse setup seems to work great
> too! Now I'm in business!

Far out! I think I'll try that with the 6800GT and these new 71.84's

McG.